Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #1
Wayspr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County
Default Is the 280 Remington Dying?

For years I felt it may be the best of the 30-06 based cases. Shoots plenty flat, great selection of bullets in a wide range of weights. Since Nosler standardized the 280 AI, I don't know the last time I heard someone talking about a standard 280 Rem or saw a rifle chambered in it. I know there's a ton of 280s out there and Midway lists 17 factory ammo choices but 10 of them are out of stock.

I had an A-bolt chambered in 280, shot lights out. Sent that A-bolt to a smith and had him ream it to 280 AI using the old "wildcat" reamer. Now she's something completely different in a good way. Not sure why anyone would go 280 Rem over 280 AI. I assume as the old stock of 280 Rem rifles go away, so will the 280 Remington.
Wayspr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
breadman
Ten Point

I have a rem 700 BDL 280 ( marked 7mm express ) don't know what year they stoped calling that but I like mine and wouldnt change it or get rid of it . even have several boxes of corelockes marked 7mm express.
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

280ai took over for the standard 280, but I’d guess the 7mag outsells then all?
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
longhorn_cop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.

I have a Rem a Rem CDL SF in .280.
Great round just prefer my tikka and sako rifles better.
I do like the round though.
longhorn_cop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I’m a fan. No real hard reason other than it was my first deer rifle that I took a real liking to.
At the time having something other than the overly common .270 was just cool to me. That said, it’s a whitetail killing fool. Wouldn’t change it for the world, and about to start actually reloading for it to see what it’ll really do.

Maybe if they tack the name “Creedmoor” behind the 280 it’ll start selling off the shelves. ��
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

280 a great round, but its in a Pile of 7mm stuff...Lots of great stuff in that .284 area and then 270 is next door measuring .277....If you like me 280 its the best cause I dont do belted anything.(Just me no specific reason) .and brass will be around for eternity for 280 due to 30-06 relationship..
Never done anything AI but always thought of it as a good way to get a little more UMP..And I don't choot any Game that requires such power or range
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

I have a T/C Encore 280. It was my sons rifile that I inherited and been shooting it for several years and love it. Very accurate and the trigger job he did on it is nice. It’s my go to when I’m not bow hunting.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Wayspr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman View Post
I have a rem 700 BDL 280 ( marked 7mm express ) don't know what year they stoped calling that but I like mine and wouldnt change it or get rid of it . even have several boxes of corelockes marked 7mm express.
Remington screwed this one up by naming it 7mm Express when the good ole USA was avoiding everything metric like the plague. By the time they renamed it 280 Remington the 270 was firmly entrenched.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

If I owned a 280 I would have it cut for a Ackley shoulder without hesitation..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

We are building my dad a 280 Remington with a 22" Carbon six sendero contour barrel. The only reason I did not Ackley it was he wanted a gun that was easy to manipulate out of stand windows and something light to carry. I figured the AI version would not provide the significant gains in a 22" tube, and the standard 280 Rem is about 10-15 dollars cheaper than the AI for premium ammo.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Too close to the far more popular 270?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #12
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman View Post
They didn't make many of the 7 MM Express. You have one and I have the other.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #13
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Unfortunately the 280 Remington has pretty much gone off and nearly died almost a tracking dog needed kinda thing I believe the only thing keeping it around is the 280 AI. The 280 is a great round arguably the best one the 06 grandfathered but you can make it just a little better with just a few minutes at your local gunsmith. Just my two cents worth.
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
My brother just bought one "new in the box" never fired. Model 700 BDL.. 7mm Express..
The Bolt has never even been put in it.. I actually picked it up for him along with some guns a bought.. 1977 year model if I remember correctly.. And I had first shot at it.... DANGIT I messed up.. I just didn't need another 7mm in anything!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #15
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
We are building my dad a 280 Remington with a 22" Carbon six sendero contour barrel. The only reason I did not Ackley it was he wanted a gun that was easy to manipulate out of stand windows and something light to carry. I figured the AI version would not provide the significant gains in a 22" tube, and the standard 280 Rem is about 10-15 dollars cheaper than the AI for premium ammo.

I was reading somewhere that you can use regular ammo in the AI and it shoots fine just ends up with a fire formed brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #16
GarGuy
Pope & Young

The two most accurate rifles I have ever fired are 700bdls in 280. 54.5gr of 4350 behind a 140gr Sierra spbt. The only thing done to those rifles was a full bedding including action and trigger adjusted to 18 oz.

Both those rifles shot that load in world class 5 shot groups. I shot a 5 shot group at 100yds that was tight enough that I could sit the hull base on the group and completely cover the group. One slightly irregular hole.

Last edited by GarGuy; 01-15-2020 at 09:32 PM.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

I’ve owned four .280 Rems and still have two. It does everything I need to do. I imagine it might be surprising how many are still out there and in use.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 PM   #18
sendit
Ten Point

Like the 6mm Rem, 6.5 Rem mag, 260Rem and 8 mm Rem mag the 280 Rem was dead/dying before they started with the lack of marketing by Remington.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #19
drwilliams
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
Like the 6mm Rem, 6.5 Rem mag, 260Rem and 8 mm Rem mag the 280 Rem was dead/dying before they started with the lack of marketing by Remington.
Speaking of 8mm rem mag. I found a 700 bdl made in the late 80's. It was priced right just couldnt bring myself to buy it. Kick myself today for not buying it. It was on the shelf at a local dealers shop for around a year and when I finally said I'm going to go pick it up someone beat me to it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
I had one until somebody wanted it without buying it!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #21
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

My question is was the Remington 280 alive? For the record I am legitimately asking the question. My opinion is that it is similar to the 260, it is a great round with many benefits but people were reluctant/ignorant to give up in the tried and true 270 or 30-06. I wish Remington would have marketed it better.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #22
Wayspr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
My question is was the Remington 280 alive? For the record I am legitimately asking the question. My opinion is that it is similar to the 260, it is a great round with many benefits but people were reluctant/ignorant to give up in the tried and true 270 or 30-06. I wish Remington would have marketed it better.
Remington's sorry *** marketing and poor decision making doomed both from the beginning. Wonder what would have happened if Hornady had come out with them, imagine a 280 Creed?
Old 01-17-2020, 05:24 AM   #23
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
No it wasn't ever really alive much like the "6.5mm Remington Magnum".. Most have never even heard of the awesome round because it was just a flash in the pan....

Remington should have stayed away from the metric system but there may have been legal reasons for naming it 6.5mm..
Old 01-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #24
Conrad
Spike

Hunt In: Four corners regions. TX Hill Country.

Yes. Yes it is.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #25
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

You could ask the same question about several different cartridges I would think. I don’t buy into the marketing aspect too deeply, even though that’s what all the gun writers say. All the “new and improved” cartridges that have been introduced in the last 20 years probably had as much effect as anything. Witness the stampede to own a 6.5 Creedmoor.

But to answer your question directly, if you’re talking about new rifles chambered in .280 Rem, then yes, it’s dead. But if you’re talking about rifles still used every year to hunt with, then it’s very much alive. The main reason that I had APR build a rifle was because I couldn’t buy one in .280 Rem over the counter.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #26
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Best way to note is the 280 offerings at shot... have a 280 classic 700 nib I was thinking of selling but might hang onto
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top