Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #101
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Why
Itís probably to complicated to explain on the internet
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #102
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

In a heart beat!
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #103
Thumper
Pope & Young

I'd shoot all five of them.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #104
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Absolutely!!!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #105
tugboat
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Fayette, and Lavaca counties

I'd rather shoot a mountain lion than a trophy buck. To me a mountain lion is the ultimate trophy.
tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #106
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Nope. Had the chance and passed

But I Never pass a yote or pig!
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #107
Thumper
Pope & Young

I'd shoot all five of them.

https://youtu.be/SH7nHhDSOeo
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #108
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

How hard to can it be to kill a mountain lion?

Just spray some catnip and put out a cardboard box, it's gauranteed to show up and lay in the box.

Maybe put down a freshly washed black shirt for it to lay on...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #109
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

I probably wouldn’t. I don’t kill bobcats anymore either. Cats are too expensive to mount IMO. I’m starting to regret spending money on taxidermy, well any taxidermy that wasn’t a whitetail deer.
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #110
slicktree
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Bandera, and Kerr county

Only if it were trying to harm a person or livestock, I have no interest in shooting one or any big cat for that matter.
slicktree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #111
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I would not but Iím sure that puts me in the minority.

On second thought, if I couldnít get a picture I might have to shoot it just to prove I saw one. Otherwise every time I said I saw a mountain lion I would hear it was just a bobcat or a yellow dog.

I want to shoot one of the plethora of elusive black panthers that are running rampant all over East Texas
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #112
sendit
Ten Point

Yes only if it's free ranging and not behind a HF.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #113
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

nope unless it was hurting me or someone
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #114
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Lion hunt with dogs is on my bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #115
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I hope to in about 1 week. Headed to Arizona for a lion hunt.
shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #116
GoneSouth
Eight Point

I feel like I smell a bunch of bs here. I really doubt so many of y’all wouldn’t shoot one if given the chance
GoneSouth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #117
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
ďĒ There was one killed on our lease before I got on it. I keep a side arm with me and a rifle at all times when I am out there.Ē

This kinda stuff makes me chuckle, I have been running around ML country my entire life, never ever had a problem with them
Now weirdos and wets different problem, we have had people problems never cat problem
It's becoming engrained in people's minds that stuff is out to get them.. Hence concealed guns in Churches, people worried about human trafficking, and a slew of other things with odds so small of ever happening it's crazy.

Mostly due to the media pushing crap.

Forbid people worry about stuff where they are 10,000 times more likely to get hurt like driving bad (fast/cell phones etc) or walking at night in town, or climbing a tree 15' to hunt.

Rant over
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #118
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
It's becoming engrained in people's minds that stuff is out to get them.. Hence concealed guns in Churches, people worried about human trafficking, and a slew of other things with odds so small of ever happening it's crazy.

Forbid people worry about stuff where they are 10,000 times more likely to get hurt like driving bad (fast/cell phones etc) or walking at night in town, or climbing a tree 15' to hunt.

Rant over

You have to wonder how many folks carry a gun when hunting because they think it will keep them safe from hogs or lions but don't wear their fall harness when in the stand...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #119
BuckBass79
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Did it once and would do it again before God could get the news!
BuckBass79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #120
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Rant over
Not a rant truth
I have folks come packing major heat scared witless about hogs
Mountain lion bulls, mad cows, you name it, nothing like walking in the kitchen and
Finding some fool pulling out a glock showing it off talking about
Why they pack , and me telling them to take it and lock it in their truck , they are far more dangerous than any thing else on the ranch
Now my rant is over
Old 01-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #121
Low Fence
Pope & Young

No desire, but would be neat to see. Iíve killed 2 bobcats with a bow, and I wonít kill them anymore either
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #122
Hills of Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

I have shot one and will do so again.
Hills of Texas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #123
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
I feel like I smell a bunch of bs here. I really doubt so many of yíall wouldnít shoot one if given the chance
why would I want to kill one? you seldom see one around here or where I hunt, so killing one cat is not going to make any difference in nature. I assume they are not good to eat?? To me, I love seeing cats and foxes in nature, I prefer to watch them alive. Someone said bragging rights, but I am not the type of person that likes to brag anyway, so that is out. I could care less about mounts, I have one deer shoulder mounted and doubt I will ever do another, they don't appeal to me. Those are my reasons, I know not everyone feels the same. But to each his own, kill them if you like, I just happen not to have any desire to kill one.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #124
Dave_
Six Point

Hunt In: Where I can

I don't get the trophy or bragging rights aspect of opportunistically killing a ML or anything really. Might as well pick up roadkill and get it mounted. You were not trying to hunt or even see the animal you just randomly saw it and pulled the trigger. If you go hunt with dogs or are trying to call it in with purpose that's a different story.

I personally would not shoot one here; someday hunt with dogs out west maybe. The population in most of TX (excluding parts of west TX) is just not that high. You are not really doing anything for the "game management", and who gives a sh-t if they eat a few, most managers are trying to keep deer numbers below carrying capacity anyways.
The safety question is a joke IMO, the last person that was killed in TX by a ML was over 100+ years ago.

I like the idea of them being on the landscape. Feels more wild. They get a heard enough time in TX as is, and by the majority of responses here and everyone else I talk to is that anytime one shows their face during the day they get blasted.
Dave_ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #125
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
I feel like I smell a bunch of bs here. I really doubt so many of yíall wouldnít shoot one if given the chance
so why would we deny it if we really wanted to? I would like to see one, no interest in shooting one. the list of animals I want to hunt is pretty small, not sure why.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #126
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Quote:
When I was younger, I would in a heartbeat. I have been hunting since I was a little kid and being 34 now, I am not near as trigger happy. I have alot of respect for them. I've watched Bobcats and Foxes and never an itch to kill them. Yotes on the other hand get a dirt nap. I do not like pack hunters and we have way too many on my land.

But like I posted earlier, if it here on my land where I live and my kids play, I would shoot a ML.
TXHUNT3R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #127
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
The TC pic of the mountain lion chasing the deer got me to thinking about shooting one. Would you guys shoot a mountain lion if you were deer hunting here in Texas?

I would as our landowner wants all varmints shot on site as he has lots of livestock. But part of me thinks it would be super cool to just see one in person. Iíve only seen one my whole life (50 years).

In a heart beat.

sotx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #128
clayree
Six Point

Are you serious?

YES!!!!!
clayree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #129
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

i have never had an interest in killing or hunting predators, and yes, i have seen the video of the deer eating the baby bird.

i guess its because they are meant to hunt, like we are, and prey are meant to be hunted. for some reason i think it would be weird to hunt something that isn't scared of me....some kind of deep spiritual thing.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #130
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
i have never had an interest in killing or hunting predators, and yes, i have seen the video of the deer eating the baby bird.

i guess its because they are meant to hunt, like we are, and prey are meant to be hunted. for some reason i think it would be weird to hunt something that isn't scared of me....some kind of deep spiritual thing.
I view predators as my fellow hunters - kind of like we are on the same level of the food chain.

Disclaimers:
1) Yes, I might feel different if I lost livestock to them
2) Yes, I understand they kill deer - I don't mind the competition
3) Yes, I understand coyote populations need to be controlled in many areas
3) Yes, I know it's legal and I don't throw shade at anyone who kills them

jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #131
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Not a rant truth
I have folks come packing major heat scared witless about hogs
Mountain lion bulls, mad cows, you name it, nothing like walking in the kitchen and
Finding some fool pulling out a glock showing it off talking about
Why they pack , and me telling them to take it and lock it in their truck , they are far more dangerous than any thing else on the ranch
Now my rant is over
Yes, for some reason wild hogs put the fear in some grown men as if they were in walking in grizzly country.. They pack heat or they wont go.. Its hilarious..
To much TV and YouTube I guess...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #132
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
The TC pic of the mountain lion chasing the deer got me to thinking about shooting one. Would you guys shoot a mountain lion if you were deer hunting here in Texas?

I would as our landowner wants all varmints shot on site as he has lots of livestock. But part of me thinks it would be super cool to just see one in person. Iíve only seen one my whole life (50 years).
Without flinching
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #133
pilar
Ten Point

Exclamation Cats out of the bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
I don't get the trophy or bragging rights aspect of opportunistically killing a ML or anything really. Might as well pick up roadkill and get it mounted. You were not trying to hunt or even see the animal you just randomly saw it and pulled the trigger. If you go hunt with dogs or are trying to call it in with purpose that's a different story.

I personally would not shoot one here; someday hunt with dogs out west maybe. The population in most of TX (excluding parts of west TX) is just not that high. You are not really doing anything for the "game management", and who gives a sh-t if they eat a few, most managers are trying to keep deer numbers below carrying capacity anyways.
The safety question is a joke IMO, the last person that was killed in TX by a ML was over 100+ years ago.

I like the idea of them being on the landscape. Feels more wild. They get a heard enough time in TX as is, and by the majority of responses here and everyone else I talk to is that anytime one shows their face during the day they get blasted.
The different owners of properties I run around on feel the same way and refer to no cats will be harvested in the hunting leases ( think Kennedy foundation, walker ranchís, eagle mountain, ect)
These are different families or trust that have been in Texas since the 1800ís not tree hunger liberals
When I read post like this and see some one insisting ML and bobcats are a bucket list and they carry a .40 because they are scared or management minded
So please donít send me pmís looking for a deer lease
You guys stay on your 25 gun 100 acre leases , sit in your box , put some pea gravel in your feeders and fill up them buckets
Old 01-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #134
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Absolutely. As long as it was not a female with a cub or cubs. Otherwise, shame on it.

I would probably be so excited I would miss though...............

Took 7 attempts at bobcats due to wanting one so bad (and being younger and more inexperienced at the time - I am now 49) before getting one. And that is from ranges of 17 yards out to over 300 and shots with bows (missed 3 from 17-42 yards) and guns (all from over 100 to 1 over 300).

I haven't missed anything since leaving the Marines in '96 (other than 4 of the bobcats mentioned above) including a black buck doe at 843 yards. Most rifle shots were 150-275.

That is the reason I have been bow only since '07. The challenge is what I love now.
ArcheryAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #135
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Absolutely
twosixteens is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #136
M.LUNA
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma

I've been blessed to actually see big cats several times from North Tx along the Red River. One out West and a momma and 2 young ones a few times up on Oklahoma on the Canadian river. Only once while I was hunting (bow hunting) and it was chasing a bobcat. Got a claw/toe in a foot hold trap once and the area was destroyed! I was a nervous wreck on my way back to the boat worried about a ****** off cat.
M.LUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #137
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

Saw one in Michigan, we were both tracking the same wounded deer. Scary situation. So yes Iíd shoot one. Hunting or self defense.
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #138
ladrones
Pope & Young

I have shot one 15 yards from the end of my shotgun barrel. My calling buddy shot one at 200 yards out watching from some sage.

I don't need any more. I will always love when I am fortunate enough to cross its path.

It's strange reading about grown men being in fear of something many will never even see. The mountain lions don't care if you're out in the woods.

Last edited by ladrones; 01-17-2020 at 05:37 PM.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #139
pilar
Ten Point

“”Absolutely. As long as it was not a female with a cub or cubs.”’
Cubs and female cats is the #1 reason some of the places I referred to don’t shoot ML unless it’s a professional after a problem cat,
It really is sad how nuts , crazy wacko, people get when they have a gun and bang proudly drag in a cub or a yearling
I am beating a dead horse, because some people just don’t get it and never have, never will
It’s why land owners want a call before you come or don’t offer year round leases “ the they walk among us hunters “
Old 01-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #140
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I donít shoot bobcats or foxes either.
But owning land changes your attitude on killing too.

Hogs and raccoons donít get the same pass.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #141
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
For what? I only eat one kind of Kat

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
They eat deer. You don't have to eat them. Just gut shoot them and let em run off.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #142
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I would if it was big enough to full body mount!
^^^This right here. I had a shot at a smaller one or possibly a jaguarundi near Uvalde as a kid and didn't take it. A big male, you bet. I would never shoot one after that.
Outback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #143
Outback
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Lion hunt with dogs is on my bucket list

^^^ Yes, yes, yes!
Old 01-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #144
Outback
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
I donít shoot bobcats or foxes either.
But owning land changes your attitude on killing too.

Hogs and raccoons donít get the same pass.

BP
^^^Same with me. Yes to coyotes, hogs and racoons but no to bobcats and foxes on our family land.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #145
Txtourist
Four Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

No, Shooting one doesnít bother me, itís the fear of bad cat taxidermy I see that makes me a bit uneasy.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #146
perchjerk
Nubbin' Buck

Would love to see one. Donít think I would shoot one....but you never know..
perchjerk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #147
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Faster than you can ask
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #148
AggieRod
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr/Hidalgo Co.

Yes
AggieRod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #149
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
They eat deer. You don't have to eat them. Just gut shoot them and let em run off.
Oh here we go

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #150
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Hell yeah. They kill a bunch of rutted down bucks and deer.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top