No announcement yet.

Real deer hunting cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little trick I read reading this thread is to buy all your stuff right away right now before year end.... That way next year you can say the cost of your hunting is free!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      A little trick I read reading this thread is to buy all your stuff right away right now before year end.... That way next year you can say the cost of your hunting is free!
      I like this strategy. Going to save big next year! ha ha ha

Comment

A lot of people have renewed their interest in hunting by taking a more minimalist approach. It doesn’t have to be very expensive and some of the “needs” aren’t as necessary we think. Here are some examples that seem to be renewing interest:

Lease? Hunt public land and draw hunts.
        Corn? Try it without baiting (which you will if hunt much public land)
        Stands/Blinds? Get a single mobile setup you can take with you
        Processing? For a small equipment investment you can work up your own.

My point isn’t to try to change anyone’s mind that enjoys spending a lot of money, but rather point out that it isn’t required to enjoy hunting in case someone can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
          I like this strategy. Going to save big next year! ha ha ha
          I got that from posts 36,37 and 46,47

Comment

..... Priceless

Comment

If you think deer hunting is expensive, you should try fishing and owning a boat! Anything that is labeled "Marine" is twice the price!

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting. Super scary for a person like myself that makes a good living to have almost 19% of my income go to deer hunting. I have been hunting for 40 years and to tell you the truth it doesn't have the appeal as when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Been their done that. I love firearms and will always shoot but the cost is weighing heavily on me to retire within the next 30 years.

First year sense I was 16 that I didn't bow hunt except for a co elk trip. First year I went to fill feeders which we have 18 with no help last weekend. Every year everyone invites their self to opening weekend of rifle.

It's hard to keep a place with everything going without passion.
                Never,ever,ever,EVER do this. If you know how much it costs then it sucks the fun right out of it. Did this a few years back and almost swore off hunting. But then I went and bought a new four wheeler so all's good.

Comment

I work so that I can do the things I like to do in life. That number one thing is to hunt, so it's what I spend my money on.

Comment

It doesn't have to be that expensive

I spend less than $2,500/year including all of the following:

lease fee
                    corn
                    camera batteries
                    hunting license
                    meat processing
                    fuel

I don't have food cost as my lease is 1.5 miles from my house

Comment

Hunting can cost what u want it to (within some boundries) public land is not expensive. If you lease, you do have the cost of the lease, but a $400 plywood blind works just as well as a 3K fancy one, You don't need 15 bows or guns, 1 is all you need. You don't need a diesel F250 to pull your 4 wheeler on a trailer. Camo does not have to match and what you wore last year will work fine this year and the next few years as well. You don't have to feed protein. Learn to weld, you can build things cheaper then you can buy them (plus it is fun), a $150 feeder made from a $10 barrel works just as good as a $1000 feeder u buy. A 3K camper works just as good as a 25K camper. You can go high end or budget, it is up to you. And whether it is important to you to keep up with the Jones or not.

Comment

You broke the golden rule.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Btw I have no mortgage payment no truck payment no children to pay for collage ECT. I was furtunt to pay cash for everything and work my *** off to make a good income.

I can't afford it.. Sounds impossible but the numbers don't lie. Told a couple friends yesterday and they didn't believe me.
                          Do you own your land or on a lease?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            I’m very fortunate that I don’t pay for a lease and hunt my dads properties but It’s still a big expense.

This year is the first year I will get off cheap because I am building a house.

3 years ago
                            8k new AC and camp expansion
                            2k dozer work
                            2500 deer blind
                            2k feed
                            2k fuel, feeders and general hunting supplies
                            850 mount and processing

2 years ago
                            3k deer blind
                            2k dozer work
                            2k feed
                            2k fuel, and general hunting supplies
                            I also spent 9k on one rifle, mounts and glass
                            850 mount and processing

Last year
                            700 new feeder and new motor
                            2k dozer work
                            2k feed
                            2k fuel, and general hunting supplies
                            I also spent 4K on rifle as glass
                            2018 Polaris ranger 1000
                            1500 mount and processing

This year
                            2k dozer work
                            2k feed
                            2k fuel and general hunting supplies
                            Another 5k on new rifle and glass

That doesn’t count the 75k I spent on a truck to get me back and forth to the ranch in 2017 along with the maintenance driving 9k to 10k per year for the truck.

That’s just deer hunting not including the duck hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forget deer rifles and scopes are only good for 1 season now a days

Comment

Wow...…….depressing thread! Guess I will keep doing what I love. The day it interferes with what my wife and daughter need I will make a change. As of now, it is my passion. Anywhere, anytime...…...arrows will fly!!!

Comment

So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting.
                                Ok look don't ever do this again. You must not be so cruel to the rest of your fellow brothers in hunting. The guilty feelings start to well up and I can't take it.

Comment

Working...
                                X