Asking permission to hunt someones land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking permission to hunt someones land

Has anyone had any luck asking permission to hunt somebody else's property lately, or is this becoming a thing of the past? If so what part of the state and what advice do you have to help succeed?

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck asking permission to hunt somebody else's property lately, or is this becoming a thing of the past? If so what part of the state and what advice do you have to help succeed?
    Not in the last 25 years.

Comment

Offer them money... people like money.

Comment

You'd be very hard pressed to find anyone in Texas that will allow hunting rights without a hefty price tag

Comment

That's how I started bowhunting. Asked the neighbors and ended up with access to about 45 acres to hunt in the middle of some rural neighborhoods on the outskirts of Austin where I grew up. Greatest part was I was 12-18yrs old and it was only a 10 minute 4wheeler ride from the front door of my house.

If your looking at door knocking in areas that are prime hunting, it will be harder to find a yes. Seek out the rural neighborhoods where owners live on 2-10 acres.

Comment

I spoke to an elderly lady yesterday. She owns a small tract that borders my back fence. Very nice lady but I'm not sure she understood what I wanted. She told me 17 times she wasn't going to sell her land. I told her 16 times I only wanted permission to hunt on the land. She wrote down my name and said she would try to figure out what property I was referring to and call me back (she owns a BUNCH of land). So I will hope for the best.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck getting permission to coyote hunt, but it was mostly landowners that I had met while building locations on their land. I already had a working relationship with them, and that makes it harder for them to turn you down. Some folks didn't like the fact that you were there though, and those I never asked.

Comment

I haven't tried it in several years. I got permission once to hunt a guys property that snugged up against Corps property on Lake Waco and another guy had a soil conservation lake near Peoria (west of Hillsboro) that I duck hunted on for a couple of years.

Comment

if I had the money to pay for a place i wouldn't have to ask, but I do understand what you mean. I've asked one person and offered to clean up trash and fix any fencing that might need fixing and even give them all any trail camera pictures to use because they're trying to sell the place. So far all I've heard is crickets though. I know one place isn't like I'm out of luck just wondering if the practice still happens...without money

Comment

I have. I bring a copy of my drivers licence so I can give them something to track me down if something happens. I think it makes them feel better... I have gotten a lot of No leave our deer alone and a couple Yes's. I think is go when it's not hunting season be nice and offer to put some sweat equity in.

Comment

yep picked up prolly 1000 acres around me to thermal hunt pigs at night

Comment

Around the late 70's and early 80's we would look up the owner at the courthouse and go ask permission. Told them we don't leave trash and will pick up any shells or cans we found. You would be amazed how many times they would write us a note and tell us to run off anyone who didn't have one. They appreciated us asking. Sadly those days are over for the most part.

Comment

I've had good luck bartering skilled labor in trade for hunting rights to properties. A lot of the landowners down south(around me) don't need my money but would like to have a pole barn built, entrances built, concrete poured, electricity ran and waterwells pulled. I've killed my best deer that way and spent very minimal out of pocket and mostly my spare time doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            I spoke to an elderly lady yesterday. She owns a small tract that borders my back fence. Very nice lady but I'm not sure she understood what I wanted. She told me 17 times she wasn't going to sell her land. I told her 16 times I only wanted permission to hunt on the land. She wrote down my name and said she would try to figure out what property I was referring to and call me back (she owns a BUNCH of land). So I will hope for the best.
                            My mom is older and deaf, I know the struggle trying to talk to older ladies . I asked her earlier about moving some guns safes and she thought I was asking if she seen snakes. Smh

Comment

I spend a lot of time in real small town every other week....been thinking about trading labor for the opportunity to take a few deer....I am constantly pondering...if it's over stepping my bounds to knock on a door and ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X