Bad hornady ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad hornady ammo

Has anyone else had any issues with hornady sst ammo? I run the vmax through my AR and I really like it. Bought some SSTs for my 308, didn't group amazing, but what I really was concerned about was out of a box of 20 I had 4 rounds fail to fire. Primer strikes on all 4 but nothing but that dreaded click. I ran a full box each of winchester ballistic tips, federal fusions and Barnes ttsx all with zero FTFs. Anyone else ever have this issue? I have two or three more boxes of the hornady now from the same lot that I'm not sure about.

Call hornady and let them know. I shoot the sst's and never had that issue sir.

Comment

X2...never had issues with Hornady

Comment

Never had any trouble with SST's

Comment

Never had a problem with Hornady.

Comment

Have had the occasional no fire with SST in 30-06

Maybe 1 per 100

Comment

If it is Superformance with the SSTs throw it away and never buy anymore. That stuff is crap. I have never had any issues with any of my guns shooting hornady loads until I went with Superformance. Had two different guns throw it all over the paper.

Comment

I had 2 out of 5 rounds I grabbed out of a new box of Hornady American Whitetails fail to fire, 243. I threw the rest of the box away.

Comment

Originally posted by jwharrell View Post
                  X2...never had issues with Hornady
                  X3

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    If it is Superformance with the SSTs throw it away and never buy anymore. That stuff is crap. I have never had any issues with any of my guns shooting hornady loads until I went with Superformance. Had two different guns throw it all over the paper.
                    It's not the bullets fault. They are shooting too hot for your gun.

Comment

They are the superformance SSTs. Never had any ammo ever FTF with a primer strike on this rifle before. Guess I'll just sell the rest of them. I actually had really good groups with the winchester Ballistic silvertips which surprised me because I know a lot of people hate them lol.

Comment

The bottom group of 3 was from the hornady, then another 3 shot group above that with the winchester, tried to make an adjustment by moving crosshairs to POI and bumped my gun lol. So took another shot to see where I was. That was the single low and right. Made my adjustment and did another 2 shot group. All but that loose group at the bottom were the winchester. Ha I ran out of ammo since I only had 6 rounds of winchester I found in my range bag. Wish I would have just started with them instead of burnin through a bunch of hornady first. All of these were at 100m.
                        Last edited by Iehooligan11b; 11-26-2014, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Well that is unfortunate about that ammo LOT. Fortunately, I've never had any issue's with the SST Hornady ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                            It's not the bullets fault. They are shooting too hot for your gun.
                            I know the bullet has nothing to do with it. My point was that they are inaccurate rounds fired through most rifles. I have talked to two different gun smiths that have said the powder they use to get the velocity burns inconsistently, and they have rarely seen them perform in many rifles.

Comment

Glad to see this post!

I bought some Hornady Superperformance SST in .257roberts a few weeks ago and they shot GREAT at the range. Fast forward to Saturday, I was hunting in Laredo and tried to shoot a bobcat...click! Ejected, cycled another round, and missed!

I looked at the shell when we got back to camp and it has a soft primer strike. When looking at the shell next to another, the primer seems to be set in a little bit. I will definitely be contacting Hornady.

Comment

Working...
                              X