I feel like a scumbag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like a scumbag

Shoulder punched a nice buck at 40 yards at first light. Tracked him just shy of a mile where he jumped fence and onto someone else's property. I tried to get permission to continue tracking but was denied. It is always my goal to put an animal down as quick as possible so they don't suffer. I failed today. My stomach turns just thinking about it. I haven't shoulder punched a deer in years. I feel like i let myself down and the hunting community.

Sounds like there is a solid chance he survives.

Comment

Don't beat yourself up....you can't control what someone else does....

Did you ask if they would at least look for you to see if they can find the deer?

Just knowing it isn't suffering goes a long way with me.

Comment

Don't understand not letting someone try find a deer they wounded....

Comment

Call the game warden and see if he can get permission

Comment

Calling yourself a scumbag is pretty harsh. It happens and is part of the game. You did what you could.

Comment

If someone says it hasn’t happened to them, they haven’t been doing it long. Don’t beat yourself up too bad!

The scumbag is the person that wouldn’t let you look for your deer. That blows my mind that people are out there like that.

Comment

You need to lighten up just a bit. You made a less than perfect shot then did all you could within the law to recover the animal.

It happens and while it sucks it's a part of hunting. If you're going to hunt it's a risk you must accept.

A scumbag would have been not making an effort to recover the deer.

Comment

We all do our best to put animals down as painless as we can. Knowing I had absolutely no excuse not to make a good shot is killing me. It is what it is I guess but I hate for any animal to suffer.

I was denied access because the lady was there alone and her husband was gone for the day. She has my number and I hope they call me. It didn't look as though I got very much penetration. And there was so little blood. Im hoping it works its way out of his shoulder and he heals and makes it through the year.

Comment

I think Thumper said it on here when he had a lady deny him retrieval, "That's fine I'll just shoot another one." She let him retrieve

Comment

[QUOTE=Razrbk89;13785808]If someone says it hasn’t happened to them, they haven’t been doing it long. Don’t beat yourself up too bad!

The scumbag is the person that wouldn’t let you look for your deer. That blows my mind that people are out there like that.[/QUOTE

x2!

Comment

shoulder shot and went 1 mile. THat blows me away

What lb bow?

Comment

Call the Game Warden....

Been through the exact same thing. Game Warden is allowed to go over there, with or without permission, and recover the Wildlife Resource. Same reason they can basically search your property/vehicle without a warrant for Wildlife Resources. The State owns that Deer, not the landowner denying the right to search. GW can go retrieve the Deer for the State the subsequently transfer it into your ownership from there.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            shoulder shot and went 1 mile. THat blows me away

What lb bow?
                            70lb Hoyt Spyder Turbo with Easton FMJ's and Muzzy 3x Broadheads

Comment

It happens. I know how you feel. Don't let it tear you up too much. You did what you could.

Comment

Working...
                              X