No announcement yet.

Pinto Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casserole and HEB pintos are sourced in the same place(s).

Camellia's pintos are slightly better quality. Their red beans are far superior to most others.

Comment

I add beano seasoning and try to use Anasazi beans.

Comment

Two TBSP flour mixed with one cup hot water toward the end.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
          Bacon, Beans, onion, Jalapeno, Garlic, salt, pepper...Time.
          its all you need

Comment

I use deer sausage, garlic powder, couple table spoons of course ground pepper, salt, whole jalapeño, 8oz of Julios salsa. Put over rice when done.

Comment

I always buy the HEB pintos and the finished product is brown beans in brown bean juice.

Comment

I have used this seasoning and liked it. it will have the brown versus the reddish beans. https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...e-blend/646988

I didn't add the beer though.

Comment

Here’s what you are looking for!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just a bit of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, sat and pepper and cook all day with some ham hocks

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                      If any of you have been to Herrera's restaurant in Dallas, that is what I am going for.
                      Are you trying to achieve the red or brown coloring?? Pinto bean juice can be very flavorful no matter what color it comes out. The key IMHO is the amount of water to bean ratio. I normally eye ball it

If you cook the beans with two strips of bacon or pieces of salt pork the bean juice will have an almost clear appearance but have a slight reddish hue. If you over cook beans they tend to start turning the juice brown. If the beans are older and don't ask me how to tell the juice will be brown. (Hint) you can almost see it as newer/fresher beans appear to have a brighter appearance when uncooked. And abseloutly never add cold water as you cook them, as the bean juice will turn dark nasty looking brown. You can add boiling water to the pot with no browning effects.

Ketchup can be used to accomplish a wonderful taste in boracho/ranchero beans. It will give a slight tangy taste with a small bit of sweetness which paired with spicy jalapeños will knock your socks off. The bean juice if adding ketchup will have a reddish/orangey hue once all of the boracho/ranchero ingredients are added. I can provide a reciepe if you wish to try them. Additionally, you can use Goya brand canned beans and acheive authentic tasting pinto bean recipes and save a lot of time
                      Last edited by Pedernal; 01-19-2020, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Pinto Beans

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Are you trying to achieve the red or brown coloring?? Pinto bean juice can be very flavorful no matter what color it comes out. The key IMHO is the amount of water to bean ratio. I normally eye ball it

If you cook the beans with two strips of bacon or pieces of salt pork the bean juice will have an almost clear appearance but have a slight reddish hue. If you over cook beans they tend to start turning the juice brown. If the beans are older and don't ask me how to tell the juice will be brown. (Hint) you can almost see it as newer/fresher beans appear to have a brighter appearance when uncooked. And abseloutly never add cold water as you cook them, as the bean juice will turn dark nasty looking brown. You can add boiling water to the pot with no browning effects.

Ketchup can be used to accomplish a wonderful taste in boracho/ranchero beans. It will give a slight tangy taste with a small bit of sweetness which paired with spicy jalapeños will knock your socks off. The bean juice if adding ketchup will have a reddish/orangey hue once all of the boracho/ranchero ingredients are added. I can provide a reciepe if you wish to try them. Additionally, you can use Goya brand canned beans and acheive authentic tasting pinto bean recipes and save a lot of time

I love the browner look with flour added to thicken the liquid and I cook 2-3lbs dried with a full standard sliced slab of salt pork. I absolutely am not a fan of the clearer water liquid with beans no matter how it tastes. . Makes it too much like store bought canned beans or HS cafeteria beans. I want them to be bold, hearty and flavorful..in more of a gravy like base with my BBQ, cornbread or whatever. 2strips of bacon wouldn’t cut it either.
                        Last edited by Smart; 01-19-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I have a pretty good recipe on em that we enjoy, but never used a specific amount of water on them. Thinking a set standard of water to start would help consistency of them. How much water are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I love the browner look with flour added to thicken the liquid and I cook 2-3lbs dried with a full standard sliced slab of salt pork. I absolutely am not a fan of the clearer water liquid with beans no matter how it tastes. . Makes it too much like store bought canned beans or HS cafeteria beans. I want them to be bold and flavorful.. with my BBQ, cornbread or whatever. 2strips of bacon wouldn’t cut it either.
                            the two slices of bacon are just to cook the beans. We use an entirely additional process/recipe to make the already cooked beans into ranchero/boracho beans. Believe me you would not have bland beans when eating the beans I make. Once I get a canner I will be more than happy to send you a can.
                            Last edited by Pedernal; 01-19-2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                              I have a pretty good recipe on em that we enjoy, but never used a specific amount of water on them. Thinking a set standard of water to start would help consistency of them. How much water are you using?
                              In the crock pot, I use approximately 2.5 quarts of water to a pound of the dried beans. Not much evaporation happens with a towel over the lid. I use the casserole brand beans sold at HEB.

In the old style "jarro" (clay pot) I would just keep a certain level and never figured how much it was. As I mentioned above on a previous post, I would always get the water boiling before adding to the cooking beans.

Comment

the two slices of bacon are just to cook the beans. We use an entirely additional process/recipe to make the already cooked beans into ranchero/boracho beans. Believe me you would not have bland beans when eating the beans I make. Once I get a canner I will be more than happy to send you a can.

How many lbs of dried beans do you start out with just those 2 slices. You cook with 2 slices of bacon and water.....then doctor them up after they are done?

I use the salt pork mentioned, onions and spices in my recipe to cook the beans from the start as well. I like the liquid to be flavored when the beans are absorbing it and softening up. That's just my personal preference though. Ive been cooking them for so long in the same big crockpot, I know how much water I need so I rarely have to add any so I get it all in there from the start. I guess you could say it's streamlined now..

Found it.....12 oz...
                                Last edited by Smart; 01-19-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X