Tree stand harnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree stand harnesses

Should they be replaced after 5years? Is this ONLY if it appears to be warn or if you fall while using it?

How many of y’all replace them after this time?

Why chance it, they are a cheap investment compared to getting injured

Comment

^^^ I 100 percent agree. I was mainly wondering because I didn’t even realize it til this eve talking with someone that they potentially have expiration dates or replace dates. Bringing it up also for others who maybe didn’t realize it either.

Comment

Cant put a price on your life! Buy a new one

Comment

I put up a new ladder stand behind the house a couple weekends ago. Never used a harness in any of my other set ups, but this one is border line scary. I had a harness in the garage that I picked up several years ago, still in the bag. Took it out and it was manufactured in 2012. I am using it and I think it will be just fine.

Comment

Been using same one for 10 years !
            I don’t replace my seatbelt in my truck just because it’s aged
            I think they are fine as long as they haven’t been stressed by falling in them .
            Jmho

Comment

Only ones that I'd really worry about are the ones that have an elastic band built in to the tether.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I used to train working at heights for wind energy. In that segment wears harnesses more than most. They get replaced yearly. Mind you in hunting they aren’t worn or utilized the same they can likely last 5 years. I wouldn’t go past that. Also I would use 5 years from day of opening not manufacturing. Be sure to inspect all seems and connections before each use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a vest I bought over 10 years ago. I still wear it but I hang from a tree in my yard at standing height to test each year before season starts. If it still holds I'll keep using it. I paid over a hundred bucks for it so to me that ain't cheap. I get that it's cheap compared the value of ones life but I'm not spending a hundred bucks every year when what I have still works. I will admit I never knew they had a replacement or "expiration" date until I read this thread but I also think the "expiration" date is more about the manufacturer protecting their own liability against a lawsuit. Just my 2 cents, other opinions may vary.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Falling then having the lanyard break your fall is a lot different than just placing your normal body weight on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        Falling then having the lanyard break your fall is a lot different than just placing your normal body weight on the system.

Exactly. Was about to say the same thing. The force of a fall for a 200lb person at 6ft is 1800lbs!!! Much different than 200lb weight.

Comment

I would follow exactly what is suggested by the manufacturer. If they say 5 years from XX-XX-***X date, then by all means stick to that date. Will it work, probably. What if it doesn't? If it fails, and you are paralyzed, what is your recourse? You can sue the manufacturer, but they will point out the fact that you did not heed the expiration date that was clearly marked. For most harnesses that are $60, it comes out to $12 a year. Cheap insurance...

Comment

Originally posted by ethic1 View Post
                            Exactly. Was about to say the same thing. The force of a fall for a 200lb person at 6ft is 1800lbs!!! Much different than 200lb weight.

Agreed. But your using incorrect if the fall is anywhere close to that distance.

Should bump tight at seated position. So standing you have 16”-20” of slack. Still some shock load is involved but not a 6’ fall

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Agreed. But your using incorrect if the fall is anywhere close to that distance.

Should bump tight at seated position. So standing you have 16”-20” of slack. Still some shock load is involved but not a 6’ fall

Just an example. That’s the standard Osha limit so easiest to grab rather than do math [emoji23]

I don’t keep any slack in mine if I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X