A year ago today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year ago today.

August 10th. A day that started just as any other normal day would. Krystal and I were at our respective jobs, eargerly awaiting the time to leave for our check up on baby Emmett. Pulling into the hospital parking lot, I had not the slightest inclination that in just mere hours, I would begin my journey into fatherhood.
    The events that transpired next are still difficult to think about. The nurse walked in and informed us Emmett's heart rate had dropped. Much of what happened next was a blur. What I do remember very distinctly was the Dr. delivering what I presumed to be devastating news; they are going to deliver. I suddenly found myself on my knees, clutching Krystal's feet in tears. I had never wanted something more in life than this little guy, and now his well being was in jeopardy. As we quickly rushed to get prepped for surgery, we were forced to fight off the fear and doubt that was attempting to consume our thoughts, and put our faith in the Lord. Two hours post our "happy" checkup, Krystal and I were parents to the most beautiful (and tiny) baby boy.

With the early delivery of Emmett, we began our journey through the most difficult and trying time of our lives. Buckets of tears would be shed over the next 4 months for our little guy. Emmett endured everything from a Pneumothorax, sepsis, UTI, and more PICC lines than we care to remember. We witnessed our son quit breathing and forced to be bagged, turning completely grey in the process. This is something I pray no other parents have to endure. We found ourselves on our knees praying fervently in the chapel at the hospital on many occations. With each arising issue or ailment, Emmett triumphed over it and stayed strong. As hours turned to days, then weeks, and finally months, we finally began to realize there was indeed a light at the end of the tunnel. Discharge day finally came, and we were the two happiest parents that could be found. Since discharge, we've combated a tough case of reflux, in addition to weekly doctor visits and an ever decreasing heart rate. But Emmett continues to persevere through it all.

Our journey in the NICU was a difficult one, no question about it; but there was a silver lining in it all. And that was all of you. Friends, family, complete strangers; you all came rushing to our side to offer your suppprt. In the blink of an eye, everyone was wearing Team Emmett shirts about. Funds came in to help offset costs associated . Whereas most people lose weight going though what we did, we gained weight from all the delicious food brought to us. There are so many of you that we never had the opportunity to thank. Folks who never knew what their gift, call, or prayer did for us at that particular time. But please know, we are both so appreciative of what you did.

Emmett, you have no idea how much happiness you've brought your parents. You have taught us more about life in your first year than you'll ever know. You have one more hurdle to cross buddy in your heart surgery, then it's on to a normal life! We love you Emmett, and a big happy birthday to you!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last few pics.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything is so blurry! God is great!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Remember following along. Good looking young man! So happy for y'all. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
          Everything is so blurry! God is great!
          Yes sir. God is Great.

Comment

Awesome post, glad to see y’all doing so well

Comment

Go, Emmett, what a good looking young man! God is great!

Comment

Hard to believe it's been a year already! Happy birthday, Emmett!!

Comment

The emotions I’m feeling I can’t even imagine what y’all went through. God bless and prayers up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

God bless

Comment

What a wonderful story of a fighter. Handsome little man you have. Happy birthday!

Comment

God bless you and yours Sir !

GO EMMETT !!!

Comment

Glad to see he is doing well.

Comment

He's growing up quick! Happy Birthday Emmett!

Comment

Big happy birthday to Emmett. Stay strong young man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X