Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to Tune

Guys and gals -

So I’m taking a different tack with bowhunting this year. That is, I’m trying to put in more time to the preseason, more time to learning, more time to observing. I’ve spent a dedicated amount of time trying to just ‘get into the brotherhood’ by putting a deer down (I’ve yet to kill anything with a bow, admittedly, despite being involved for the last 4 years). Now, though, I’m going to focus on learning to be a habitat manager and an archer. If I can put these together this year, fantastic – I’ll be thrilled.

I started off this year picking a whole new side of the property that’s as-yet unmolested (for the last few years) and tomorrow I’m going down there to weed eat and weed kill in prep for a fall kill plot (it’s an extremely small area). I’ll take some pics.

The other side of this year has been getting myself up to Cinnamon Creek and saying, ‘help me tune my bow.’ So, I think my bow is almost to where it needs to be, but the sighting-in is still happening, which is on me. Here’s my question for the veterans and those that have done some custom work (ultimately, I want to build my own arrows) – if you have an idea of the total arrow weight you want to be shooting, but haven’t tuned, where do you start?

Example; if you know you want to shoot a 250 grain broadhead, do you go get a pack of 250gr field tips, then look at an arrow chart for your spine? I imagine once this is done you start tuning your bow for the combination? That sound right?

And, follow up – if I’m drawing 60 at 27.5” and use that setup (250gr field points to mirror the broadhead I’ll use) and just cannot get the arrow to tune, what’s the best next step?

-LaS

Arrow spine charts will be of little use to you when adding a significant amount of weight. Most of them are based off 100 grain tips. As far as weight selection it should be based off the total gross arrow weight you are looking for. Select the appropriate spine and since you don’t have a lot of seat time with EFOC builds I would opt for the reaction tuning methods enewman uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X