Sitka clothing recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitka clothing recommendation

Bout to pull the trigger on a new set. Looking at traverse t, Jetstream Vest, core lightweight hoody, core heavy weight zip t, kelvin lite puffy, Jetstream Jacket, and cloudburst jacket.

Using for archery in Colorado.

Using firstlite merino as base.

I already have pants.

Need some insight from guys with experience as to what pieces work well together and which I may not need. I am a fan of vests for mild weather and want to have a puffy just in case. Should I cut the light weight hoody out or the heavy weight hoody? Leave one? Leave both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I hate to say it, you can cut the Jetstream. I love the Jetstream jacket but you don't need a soft shell, Just run the puffy under the rain jacket. If you're running FL merino base, pick one of the three that you like(traverse, lightweight or heavyweight)for a mid layer. Personally I like some kind of grid fleece here (Heavyweight T, FL Halstead, Patagonia R1, etc)

With the FL base that's 4 layers and I doubt you'd have them all on at once but gives you plenty of flexibility to add/drop a layer to fit what the mountain gives you. I'm wouldn't be carrying around any more than that

Comment

Even though it is their most popular selling piece at Sitka, you might wear a Jetstream Jacket once...if ever during archery season in Colorado so I do agree with that.
      You might look at the cold weather traverse Hoody (the exterior material is pretty quiet) for your traditional “jacket” if you get cold easy or if you don’t get cold easy the mountain jacket is windproof and works great if you layer under it. Send me a PM if you want to chat about it.

Comment

I am a big fan of Sitka but all of my experience is with the Whitetail EVII line. I really like the Stratus line, but that is geared more towards treestand hunting than mountain hunting. I am no help I know, just wanted to post something positive before all the "it's too expensive" comments start rolling in.

Comment

What part in Colorado? We hunt the south east, much further north and you might change. But im running the same stuff archery colorado as im going to be wearing in utah in october.
          I use kuiu gear, but id do the same for sitka. I wear merino base and kuiu lightweight chinook jacket that cuts wind really well and light to moderate mist/rain. Ive got their lightweight rain gear if it gets bad. I also have a puffy vest if need be. Most of the time running through the mountains i have merino with a real light shirt of on top of it.
          I dont think you need the heavy jackets.
          Last edited by doublearrow; 07-25-2018, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
            What part in Colorado? We hunt the south east, much further north and you might change. But im running the same stuff archery colorado as im going to be wearing in utah in october.
            I use kuiu gear, but id do the same for sitka. I wear merino base and kuiu lightweight chinook jacket that cuts wind really well and light to moderate mist/rain. Ive got their lightweight rain gear if it gets bad. I also have a puffy vest if need be. Most of the time running through the mountains i have merino with a real light shirt of on top of it.
            I dont think you need the heavy jackets.

Hunting south east near Trinidad

Comment

• Core heavyweight
              • A down puffy(I wouldn’t spend Sitka money, just buy a solid on sale from any the big MFG’s Mountainhardware, Columbia, etc )
              • Cloud burst.
              Last edited by Texans42; 07-25-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                • Core heavyweight
                • A down puffy(I wouldn’t spend Sitka money, just buy a solid on sale from any the big MFG’s Mountainhardware, Columbia, etc )
                • Cloud burst.
                My personal list

Wool base-kuiu
                Apex hoody( use to be core heavy)
                Kuiu pelton 97( weights nothing think 6 oz)
                Mountain Hardware puffy
                Rainjacket- Columbia outdry extreme reversible
                Kuiu zip off 145? merino pant base

I also own the Sitka core lightweight, it’s a great sun blocker peice, I wear antelope hunting, but I prefer merino base for backcountry

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  Hunting south east near Trinidad

Thats where we hunt i wouldnt do the heavy jackets.

Comment

Never owned or worn Sitka...

but if you’re hunting southern Colorado in archery season be prepared for heat, there’s a chance it could be cold but 9 times out of 10 a long sleeve shirt and light vest with pants is all you’ll need. I hunt northern Colorado about 40 miles from Wyoming every year in mid October and it is usually still warm then. Last year day before the opener it was 75 and windy, blizzard blew in and it was cold the next 2 days, then warmed up and was hot the rest of the week.

Comment

Working...
                    X