No announcement yet.

2019 APR TBH Special Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a short 22 I'd look at the 22 Creed or 22-250AI. The creed needs to be necked down and not sure if needs to be neck trimmed afterwards. The AI of course needs fire forming. Both are ballastically nearly identical.

I've read of a few people getting insane velocity out of 18 inch barrel. I haven't experimented with mine or pushed it too hard. I'm getting 3100 from an 80 grainer and a 22 inch barrel with W760. It's a 1 inch at 300 load.

I'm waiting for the new Nos AB in 70 grains and plan to try it out with RL 26.

My APR built AI shot 3/4 inch for 25 shots while fire forming.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
      I keep going back to the 25-06 and 6.5-284.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Man, I'd go with the 65x284. Loaded with a 120 it would be as flat shooting as the 25 and loaded with a 140-150 will do way more work.

You could go with a 65-06AI or Sherman and max out all you get from a standard action.

I don't think you reload but I hear you know a guy so the sky's the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        Man, I'd go with the 65x284. Loaded with a 120 it would be as flat shooting as the 25 and loaded with a 140-150 will do way more work.

You could go with a 65-06AI or Sherman and max out all you get from a standard action.

I have a .264 win now that’s probably my favorite caliber I own just wanting something soft recoiling that’s light and fun to shoot.

Comment

The 6.5x284 fits that bill IMO. Likely one of the best unsung deer rounds out there. Very easy to load for and modest recoil. Loaded with anything from 120-140 it's a hammer.

I killed a doe with a dead center shoulder shot at 315 two weeks ago with my 65 manbun. That's giving up right at 300 fps from the 284 and she went all of 20 yards after the 143 eldx popped her.

Comment

For a short 22 I'd look at the 22 Creed or 22-250AI. The creed needs to be necked down and not sure if needs to be neck trimmed afterwards. The AI of course needs fire forming. Both are ballastically nearly identical.

I've read of a few people getting insane velocity out of 18 inch barrel. I haven't experimented with mine or pushed it too hard. I'm getting 3100 from an 80 grainer and a 22 inch barrel with W760. It's a 1 inch at 300 load.

It’s looking like 22 creed will have factory ammo from Hornady soon. They’ve just released brass and dies for it.

Comment

I’m going to have him work up some loads for my 280 AI soon. I’ll probably eventually get into reloading but need to have a little more space to set up an area for it.

Comment

I keep going back to the 25-06 and 6.5-284.

6.5-284...... I’m going to throw out a thought here, that may not be applicable or relevant to anything....but here goes. Consider the 6.5PRC. It is in the same performance window as the 6.5-284. Both rounds really shine in a long action, so you are kind of committed to that path with either. The mag boltface of the PRC will give you an infinite selection of long range options down the road should you get bored or want to try something different. The 284 will have the better brass available right now, but that is changing soon. The PRC has hyper-accurate ammo available now, should you not want to jump into loading yet. The 6.5-06AI was another awesome suggestion thrown out already. It is the king of the non-mag 6.5s and easy to load for.

Comment

The 22 creed has had brass available from alpha munitions and few others for a while now. But necking down is still an option if you want to do that. Hornady has brass coming too. 22creed May not be better then a 22-250ai but when you have new brass available to load or neck down 6.5cm or 6cm it becomes slightly better to some.

Ill be getting a 6.5prc and maybe a 18” 308
                  Or two twins in 6.5prc...my old man is a little more particular and his birthday is in June. I’ll have to chat with Robert.
                  Last edited by Txarrowhunter; 01-20-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking 6.5 creedmoor or PRC, something to bridge between my .243 and .300 winmag that doesn't need a brake. I need a longer range pronghorn/deer/hog round, say out to 500

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                      Tier 1 without a brake..............everyone should own a .280 Ackley Improved.
                      What's the difference between 280AI and 7mag?
                      Aren't they pretty similar?

Comment

I too am really struggling with caliber choice. I know I want a 20" barrel as I plan to shoot mostly suppressed but I reload and really want something a little different. Lots of people have said can't go wrong with 7-08 or 308 but they are kinda boring, kinda looking at 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC but not sure if that would be a wise choice in a 20" barrel. Anyone have some more suggestions???

Regardless I can't wait to place my order , just need to figure out what that will be. Lol
                        Last edited by ColinR; 01-20-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H-D View Post
                          What's the difference between 280AI and 7mag?

Aren't they pretty similar?

Ballistics are very similar with the 7mag being +/- 150 fps faster depending on bullet weight.

280 is significantly more efficient so you get near same performance with less powder, less recoil and a standard length action instead of the longer heavier magnum action.

I have both but haven’t shot my 7mag in years [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                            I too am really struggling with caliber choice. I know I want a 20" barrel as I plan to shoot mostly suppressed but I reload and really want something a little different. Lots of people have said can't go wrong with 7-08 or 308 but they are kinda boring, kinda looking at 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC but not sure if that would be a wise choice in a 20" barrel. Anyone have some more suggestions???

Regardless I can't wait to place my order , just need to figure out what that will be. Lol

I am going to try to go with a 6.5 prc with a 20-22” barrel.

Comment

I’m just going to tell Robert to surprise me at this point[emoji23]

Comment

I’m just going to tell Robert to surprise me at this point[emoji23]

Hehe....this could be fun

Comment

Working...
                                X