Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building 6.5 Grendal on AR-15 platform. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building 6.5 Grendal on AR-15 platform. Any advice?

Hey everyone. I'll be building a 6.5 Grendal pretty soon on the AR-15 platform. I'm in the research phase still as I've only built one AR15 so far (a .223 Wylde). Is this something that is compatible with other calibers so that I would just need to build the upper and be done with it, or is this a whole new gun that would need to be made?

From what I remember on my last build, there's like dozens of different options for the barrel... twist rate, barrel length, gas system, barrel profile, steel or ???...and I know there is a few things I'm leaving out. So what would be best for a 6.5 Grendal? Ideally this would be for deer and to really reach out to a far distance, so I'm hoping that suggestions would be for those uses.

Vague, I know...any advice would truly be helpful. Thank you.

Yes it is compatible with the ar-15 lowers. Just need new upper, bcg, and magazine. As far as barrels, I have 2. One 16” with 1:9 twist and one 24” with 1:8 twist. They both shoot great.

Comment

Odin

I went with an 18 in Odin works barrel and bolt carrier.
      I also used in aero precision enhanced upper which made things super easy. Shoots Hornady black under 1 moa all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
        I went with an 18 in Odin works barrel and bolt carrier.
        I also used in aero precision enhanced upper which made things super easy. Shoots Hornady black under 1 moa all day long.
        Every AR upper I build from now on will be on the Aero precision enhanced upper. Such a better system.

I think the AR15performance.com barrels are hard to beat for the price. I've put 2 grendels together now with their barrel and both shoot lights out.

Comment

Do not use a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel is about all I got. 6” groups at 50 yards were the norm for both of the barrels I tried.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I built my first with a Faxon group buy 16" barrel and Monster bolt from the 6.5 Grendel forum (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/). Lots of great info there. I would echo the advice above about being wary of BCA barrels, they don't have the finest reputation on the Grendel forum. The Grendel is mag specific, I use Elanders and have no problems with them.

Stu

Comment

Buy the parts you want from reputable companies if you only want a quality gun

Comment

The Radical Firearms in a 6.5 Grendel upper has worked great for me.

God Bless
                  Bish

Comment

Elanders mags
                    Last edited by Vap; 01-07-2019, 05:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Odin barrels are good to go for a 6.5G build. Faxon is also great. i would suggest a minimum 18 inch barrel.

second the elanders mags recommendation.

enjoy one of the finest rounds created.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Time to get to building. Pics coming. Y'all are awesome and appreciate the input.

Comment

Red X Arms has some good barrels on sale now. They’ve got some ridiculous length like 22 and I believe 24”. But since you stayed you’re shooting deer long range. The extra few inches will give you increased velocities.
                          I believe when Wilson was designitthe Grendel he planned it around 20”. So use that as the gauge.
                          Whom ever you buy with. I’d highly suggest using their BCG/bolt face and not mix matching.
                          Good luck and post pics.

Comment

Anyone else have reviews of RedX Arms barrels? They are definitely reasonably priced.

Edit: Did a Google search and a ton of not so great things came up as far as reviews... even the third link was to the BBB lol.

Last edited by ctom87; 01-08-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I went with the AeroPrecision Enhanced upper as well. Very easy to put together along with their hand guard and barrel nut. Used Odin Works 16" barrel and BCG, which came as a kit with the gas tube and adjustable gas block. If you look hard enough you can find the Odin Works barrels on sale. I think I got mine at either Job Bob's outfitters or DVOR.com. And to top it all off the thing is more accurate than I can shoot. Did the sighting in using a rifle sled and the groupings at 100 yards were tight.

Comment

Working...
                              X