The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    Tripod absolutely. I’ve shot off Primos trigger sticks bipod a few times before, and while they work they’re nothing like a good tripod. Another good thing I like about tripods is leaving them standing with the rifle (bolt open of course) facing the direction of fire while we go look for deads etc. Usually have a rifle mounted flashlight or laser we turn on that directs us where we need to go. Then we can always come back to point A easily, and start over, pick up brass, etc when needed. Believe it or not it’s not to difficult to get turned around in the complete dark when stomping all over fields.

Do you have any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      Do you have any recommendations?

The primos tripod is a good entry level tripod and they’re lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I bought a manfrotto camera tripod .. they are built like tanks ,and you can adjust the fluidity of the pan tilt to make it as tight or loose as you want then i use the qd off that with either a picatinny mount, so the gun is basically holding itself or i use a padded shelf .. got those from snipers hide long time ago ...

tripod was painted fde so no shine .. works well and makes 0 noise!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
          I bought a manfrotto camera tripod .. they are built like tanks ,and you can adjust the fluidity of the pan tilt to make it as tight or loose as you want then i use the qd off that with either a picatinny mount, so the gun is basically holding itself or i use a padded shelf .. got those from snipers hide long time ago ...

tripod was painted fde so no shine .. works well and makes 0 noise!

What kind of quad rail is that on your rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyscot3 View Post
            What kind of quad rail is that on your rifle?

that's a PWS piston SBR 12.5" complete rifle it's piston driven like an ak .. it came with that proprietary handguard ..
            not sure if they make it or sourced them .. they are modular and replaceable.

Comment

Second night out only produced 2 hogs but they were considerably larger than the ones on the previous hunt...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8215.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	24644674

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.22.29 PM.png
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	24644675

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.04.08 PM.png
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	24644676
              Speaking of tripods my buddies decided it was easier packing the tripod than laying on the ground busting clods!
              [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?
              IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
              I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Bad look for the Rico mk1:

There is a building lag time between what you’re seeing on the screen vs what you’re actually pointing at. Sounds like it may be a rare issue, but he said iRay told him it’s 2%, and 1/50 isn’t good odds.

Go to 12:50 for his display lag test.

He says in a different video that he has mailed the unit to iRay so they can update the firmware or replace it.
                Last edited by jofus; 02-21-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jofus View Post
                  Bad look for the Rico mk1:

There is a building lag time between what you’re seeing on the screen vs what you’re actually pointing at. Sounds like it may be a rare issue, but he said iRay told him it’s 2%, and 1/50 isn’t good odds.

Go to 12:50 for his display lag test.

He says in a different video that he has mailed the unit to iRay so they can update the firmware or replace it.
                  It’s a long way to China, sending all your information back there can cause a lag sometimes...jk...I for one embrace our new Chinese overlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                    It’s a long way to China, sending all your information back there can cause a lag sometimes...jk...I for one embrace our new Chinese overlords.

To be fair, the returns only go to Fort Worth to the US franchise, and they have a 5year warranty with 5-day repair/replace turnaround time.

Comment

Originally posted by jofus View Post
                      To be fair, the returns only go to Fort Worth to the US franchise, and they have a 5year warranty with 5-day repair/replace turnaround time.
                      Was talking about the spyware, according to HansETX, the software doesn’t work on apple computers because of security reasons...apple wants to sell your info to China, not let them have it for free lol

Comment

Got a few more pasture destroyers last night

Comment

Hog my BIL shot a while back with his Wraith. We laugh when we see the video because after the shot it looks like the hog dissapeared lol. We found the hog about 50 yards away.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                            Got a few more pasture destroyers last night

Great video. I really like that 2.7 base magnification. Feels like anything around 2.5 is a happy meduim of magnification vs field of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                              Great video. I really like that 2.7 base magnification. Feels like anything around 2.5 is a happy meduim of magnification vs field of view.

Yup I’ve been real happy with the XQ50, was going with the XQ38 but Jason had this one on the shelf and the hogs were killin’ my fields. Going to the fifty has also helped scan 800 yds easy and detect heat along the treeline south of my house. From hogs to calving cow check I’ll always have a thermal at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                                Hog my BIL shot a while back with his Wraith. We laugh when we see the video because after the shot it looks like the hog dissapeared lol. We found the hog about 50 yards away.

https://youtu.be/GaKlS8CCgG8
                                And this is exactly why I turn people away from cheap digital NV

Great for once shot in a stand. Thats about it

Comment

Working...
                                X