We think we have a poacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We think we have a poacher

So i was walking back to camp from a bow hunt yesterday morning. Walking up the road i see a coyote in the middle of one of our pastures. Not that unusual, they cross that pasture regularly. But he keeps milling around, kind of acting crazy, in the middle of the pasture. As i gain some elevation i can tell he has a red face. Bad business. I assumed he was eating one of the ranchers new calves. So i go on up to camp, grab a rifle, and head back down to the pasture. Of course, by the time i get there the varmint is gone. I walked over and found the scene, expecting to see remains of a black calf. But no, i find the remains of a small buck deer.

The hide was clearly skinned and pulled back over the deers head. I took a couple of pictures and pulled the hide back over the remains of the body. There are clearly what appear to be two bullet holes.

There's a couple of working theories. I've left it in the hands of the rancher and the game warden. Hopefully they can get is sorted out.
    Attached Files

I’d guess buzzards, caracaras, or coyotes trying to tear into it.

Comment

I would think coyotes got him from the pics.

Comment

Any neighbors nearby? Maybe a wounded deer that got over the fence?

Comment

The coyotes, and maybe buzzards, clearly ate on him. The question is how he got to where
          he is. There's been a couple of unaccounted for shots heard from the ranchers house and an unexplained truck parked where it shouldn't have been. Maybe it's all coincidence. Maybe not.

I've never seen a hide pulled up over a deers head after the coyotes got to it. That's the fishiest part to me. Maybe i'm making much of nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Any neighbors nearby? Maybe a wounded deer that got over the fence?
            Neighbors on two sides. Both are pretty responsible.

Comment

yots.

Comment

I'm not convinced that any animal would skin the hide up that way. I think the yotes are picking what's left from someone quartering it.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                  I'm not convinced that any animal would skin the hide up that way. I think the yotes are picking what's left from someone quartering it.

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                  I've never seen a hide pulled up over a deers head after the coyotes got to it. That's the fishiest part to me. Maybe i'm making much of nothing.

I have to agree here fellas. Looks like a body dump and the varmints getting after what’s left.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Did you find shoulder blades or back legs anything to indicate it wasn’t quartered up?

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
                      Did you find shoulder blades or back legs anything to indicate it wasn’t quartered up?
                      I didn't do an extensive search, but no.

Comment

We get deer dumped down the county road every year. Mostly just take backstraps and sometimes the head.

Comment

I should say, the deer was probably 150 yards off the road. I think the guy actually hunted one of our blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
                            You can see the rear hock of one of the legs in the first picture. I've never seen predators remove the ham bone and leave the lower leg. Not saving it isn't possible, I've just never seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              I should say, the deer was probably 150 yards off the road. I think the guy actually hunted one of our blinds.
                              Insult to injury there. We lock every stand. If someone is going to poach they're not going to be comfortable in a stand

Comment

Working...
                              X