Truck dilemma - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck dilemma - Need Advice

Okay, I have had my current truck since 2014. I love it, and it has been a great running truck for me. Well about 2 weeks ago, I let my wife drive it for ONE day and when she picked me up from work, I heard a distinct "clacking" sound as she was idling and once we accelerated, the clacking increased. So, I had no option but to drive it home like that and then I parked it. The next morning, I start up the truck, no more "clacking." Drive it to my mechanic, nothing. I get the oil changed and have them look it over and they can see anything visually wrong with the truck. Ok, I drive it home and the next week take it back for a full diagnostic. Come to find out, I had a bad fuel injector and spark plug, I know that wouldn't cause the "clacking" but if it helps, hey. I also have a loose motor mount they want to charge $500 buck to fix but thats not a pressing issue for me at the moment.

My big concern here is the clacking sound... I had a GMC Yukon XL make that same clacking sound once before and I would have had to replace the entire engine. The only difference is that clacking sound never went away and thats how I got screwed in Midland into buying an overpriced car there.

I don't want to get into that situation again. My truck has about 165000 miles on it. I know I won't get that much for a trade but I could get a little something to help cover TTL. My question to yall is, should I just wait and see what happens with my current vehicle or look into trying to get into something else. I don't need a money pit but I also don't like car payments... I am all ears at this point y'all.

First mistake you let your wife drive it. Keep driving it.

Comment

Having a daughter… I will make dang sure she never marries a dumb*** like either of you! What would your wife have done to make your trunk make the noise?

Comment

Sounds like a lifter noise? Chevy are known for this. What make?
        I had a 06 suburban that the oil pump pick up was going bad and would make a lifter noise when you first cranked it up until I got it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
          Sounds like a lifter noise? Chevy are known for this. What make?
          I had a 06 suburban that the oil pump pick up was going bad and would make a lifter noise when you first cranked it up until I got it fixed.

That’s what I was thinking also. 2011 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
            Having a daughter… I will make dang sure she never marries a dumb*** like either of you! What would your wife have done to make your trunk make the noise?

Huh?

Comment

So 3 different mechanics can’t find an issue with it and you can’t replicate the issue. I’m keeping it. Have you shopped for a car recently it’s a mess.

Comment

I may have missed it. What is the make and model? And engine type?

Comment

Did he say he was in the truck when it happened? How would he know exactly what she did? Maybe it was a coincidence! He comes on here asking for advice and you start calling people names?
                  Last edited by Matt_C; 07-02-2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I have a daughter and still have the ability to laugh. . I also enjoy it when my wife tries to make my "trunk" make noise. :-)
                    Last edited by RR 314; 07-02-2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Mine did that on and off for over 100k and then blew a cylinder. 6000 later I had a new engine with a 100k warranty. Not a chance in hell I’d buy a new truck

Comment

The whole reference to my wife driving the truck was she is used to her twin turbo explorer that has a ton of up and go. My old Silverado doesn’t. 5.3L V8. I was sarcastically blaming her for “hot ridding” my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                          Huh?

He’s a aggy…
                          Last edited by Rubi513; 07-02-2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Eat a snickers, you’ll feel better
                            Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                            I have a daughter and still have the ability to laugh. . I also enjoy it when my wife tries to make my "trunk" make noise. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              He’s a aggy…

What’s the edit for? I might be an Aggie, but at least I’m not a *****![emoji6]

Comment

Working...
                              X