Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #1
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default Barn Lighting

My next project looks like itís going to be running the electrical in my barn on my property.

I have a 40x60x14 pole barn, and I want to light it well. Iím seeing so many options and different styles that itís starting to give me analysis paralysis.

Iím wondering if anyone can steer me in a good direction? I want my barn well lit, with a quality light for a reasonable price. Iím thinking UFO high bay LED lights will be my best bet.

Utilizing a generic calculator on some websites, theyíre saying I need a bunch of fixtures, and at $100+ a pop, Iím wondering if itís necessary to hang 18 fixtures.

Any help is appreciated!
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default

I have a similar height 40X80 shop. Bought (2) 200 watt ufo's just to try out. Hung them and used an extension cord to temporarily power them. They were awesome. Recommendation was 16. Decided to go with eight of them. It puts out plenty of light for my needs. I suppose twice as many would be better but didn't see the need. You can always add more later. Just wire in some extra plugs if you think you might. I would do separate switches so you don't have to have all of them on at one time if not needed. I plan to add a couple more in specific work areas on separate switches. But as always it depends on your particular use. For general light I believe 6 or 8 would do fine.

Last edited by M16; 09-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Rick
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Junction
Default

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...20shop%20light

these put out an amazing amount of light. I bought a few different kindsto try before I settled on these, great value for money I just wish I had before and after pics of the lighting. my shop is 30x40x12 and 6 of them light it up!!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
eaglegolfj
Ten Point
 
eaglegolfj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dayton TX
Default

Lightingever.com
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
eaglegolfj
Ten Point
 
eaglegolfj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dayton TX
Default

Or lightup.com
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
profish2004
Six Point
 
profish2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Centerville,Tx
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

I recently installed 8 - 300w UFO lights in my new 30 x 80 building. Walmart has nothing on my shop. Glad I installed a dimmer! My building has 20' spans so I installed 2 per bay...worked perfectly
profish2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
profish2004
Six Point
 
profish2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Centerville,Tx
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

.
Attached Images
   
profish2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
My next project looks like itís going to be running the electrical in my barn on my property.



I have a 40x60x14 pole barn, and I want to light it well. Iím seeing so many options and different styles that itís starting to give me analysis paralysis.



Iím wondering if anyone can steer me in a good direction? I want my barn well lit, with a quality light for a reasonable price. Iím thinking UFO high bay LED lights will be my best bet.



Utilizing a generic calculator on some websites, theyíre saying I need a bunch of fixtures, and at $100+ a pop, Iím wondering if itís necessary to hang 18 fixtures.



Any help is appreciated!


No you donít need 18 lights unless you are trying to get a tan in there.

This is my 30x50x16 shop with (8) 22,000 lumen fixtures in it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Forney, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher County
Default

Wow...some of you guys have some serious coin. I’m in the process of running my electric and installing lights in my 30x50 shop. After researching for a compromise of price and performance I went with Sunco LEDs. Only 40W each, 4000 lumens and linkable. You can put up to 4 in series. Easy install as I’m mounting directly to the trusses. I’m going to have 8 under roof inside and 2 under carport.

We will see how they work. They are a good looking light with the diamond plate finish. They have great reviews.

Sunco Lighting 10 Pack Industrial LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Integrated Fixture, 40W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D95HDRJ..._A-pEDbZEJ0HF6

Last edited by RascalArms; 09-11-2019 at 09:22 AM.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
riverbowman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Highland Village, TX
Default

our 40'x60'x17' has (8) 8' 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures that were installed prior to the LED world. Tons of light, but seeing some of the stuff above makes me want to swap fixtures.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

I'm using a flashlight right now, I guess I need to get motivated.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
profish2004
Six Point
 
profish2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Centerville,Tx
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

My logic is by increasing the lumens you reduce the amount of electrical that needs to be ran to power additional fixtures. The material/labor/time saved justified the cost of the fixtures.

OP may want to look at the 240w Halo UFO shop light
Attached Images
 
profish2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Lungbustr
Pope & Young
 
Lungbustr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Default

I bought my dad 20 of these lights for Christmas, 2 10 packs. It was plenty for his 50x40 metal building. That's 90,000 lumens of light.

They are linkable up to 10 fixtures and come with the wiring to link them together. So it saved a bunch of money on wiring.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/linkable-...lp_product_1_4
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
Who Brought'em
Four Point
 
Who Brought'em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fayetteville, TX
Hunt In: Caldwell, Fayette, Mason County
Default

What color is everyone getting? 4000K or 5000K
Who Brought'em is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
8mpg
Ten Point
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW
Default

What are your goals? Storage vs a work area need different amounts of lighting. I had a guy do a professional light design and in my work area (35x35) I have 12 LED Highbay lights. The storage area 50x15 uses 4' led tube fixtures. The bright light is very nice in the work area.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
lanceodom
Ten Point
 
lanceodom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: LaSalle County
Default

We have a 50'x100'x22' barn with 2 rows of 3 lights and it is an operating room. Totally lit up with these LED. I have attached a cutsheet for the fixtures. Good luck.
Attached Images
 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ARBAY4-175.pdf (122.8 KB, 103 views)
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #17
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
What are your goals? Storage vs a work area need different amounts of lighting. I had a guy do a professional light design and in my work area (35x35) I have 12 LED Highbay lights. The storage area 50x15 uses 4' led tube fixtures. The bright light is very nice in the work area.
Combination of both. Right now Iím thinking mainly general area lighting. Later I can add some focused work lights near my benches and work areas.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #18
Phorizt
Six Point
 
Phorizt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Hunt In: Public land
Default

If you knew how bright you wanted it(in Foot Candles) and which fixture I could do a quick lighting design for you.

for example, if you want 30FC with this fixture you would need 9 fixtures:
https://www.homelectrical.com/90w-le...hoC6BEQAvD_BwE

If you bump it up to the 135W version you'd just need 6 fixtures.

FWIW, 30FC is on the high end of what most commercial warehouses are designed for. 40-50FC is office lighting and I've seen a lot of manufacturing in that range or even lower. For very detailed work you might want 100FC. But I think if you went 30 and then added a couple of low hanging strip lights over work tables/areas you would be good.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
Phorizt
Six Point
 
Phorizt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Hunt In: Public land
Default

If it's more workshop than barn and you want it plenty bright then to get to 50 foot-candles you would need 9 of the 162W version. This is just an example with this particular fixture because I've been working on a design for a egg processing plant this week with this particular fixture but if you find other fixtures with similar lumen outputs it would be very close as far as fixture counts in a small enclosed area like this.

180,000 total lumens in the shop would be over 50FC
100,000 total lumens would be around 30FC or so

This assumes the walls/ceilings are fairly reflective and not painted black
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 02:50 AM   #20
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

Awesome info! M walls and ceilings have a white bubble insulation on them, so I would figure they’re reflective.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #21
friscopaint
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Collinsville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbowman View Post
our 40'x60'x17' has (8) 8' 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures that were installed prior to the LED world. Tons of light, but seeing some of the stuff above makes me want to swap fixtures.
Get led bulbs for the lights, have to isolate the ballast.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #22
Tbar
Ten Point
 
Tbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Default

The electricians are wiring my 40 x 50 barn as I type.

I will try to get the brand and part # of the LED lights.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #23
kmitchl
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montgomery, TX
Hunt In: Edwards Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
I bought my dad 20 of these lights for Christmas, 2 10 packs. It was plenty for his 50x40 metal building. That's 90,000 lumens of light.

They are linkable up to 10 fixtures and come with the wiring to link them together. So it saved a bunch of money on wiring.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/linkable-...lp_product_1_4
This is what I did on a 40x60x16. I hung the lights at 12í. I used 10 fixtures. Only issue is near the perimeter walls I tend to get a shadow.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #24
Phorizt
Six Point
 
Phorizt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Hunt In: Public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Get led bulbs for the lights, have to isolate the ballast.
be careful if using direct wire ballast bypass LED tubes(Type B). Lots of people have safety concerns over those. The existing lamp holder sockets are designed for low voltage so higher voltage direct to the sockets could cause them to fail, melt, catch fire etc not to mention the shock hazard in the future if someone isn't aware of the line voltage going to the socket. It's the cheapest option but lots of companies we work with will not install them in any of their facilities due to safety concerns. Oncor and many other utilities do not approve of them for their rebate programs either.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #25
splitbeam145
Ten Point
 
splitbeam145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: weatherford,tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
be careful if using direct wire ballast bypass LED tubes(Type B). Lots of people have safety concerns over those. The existing lamp holder sockets are designed for low voltage so higher voltage direct to the sockets could cause them to fail, melt, catch fire etc not to mention the shock hazard in the future if someone isn't aware of the line voltage going to the socket. It's the cheapest option but lots of companies we work with will not install them in any of their facilities due to safety concerns. Oncor and many other utilities do not approve of them for their rebate programs either.
Can you clear that up for me a little. The OCV on most t8 ballast are in 600v
range start up which is much higher than the 120v required for LED tubes.
My problem is what is the output voltages of them after startup? I know it's gonna be lower but is it still higher than 120v? If so then the statement about potential tombstones melting, fail,etc is not accurate. I'm just trying to figure where Oncor and other utilites got their info from. I'm not sure myself but it's interesting cause LED tubes are being installed everywhere and ballasts bypassed. I myself have changed out several for customers.
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #26
8mpg
Ten Point
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
If you knew how bright you wanted it(in Foot Candles) and which fixture I could do a quick lighting design for you.

for example, if you want 30FC with this fixture you would need 9 fixtures:
https://www.homelectrical.com/90w-le...hoC6BEQAvD_BwE

If you bump it up to the 135W version you'd just need 6 fixtures.

FWIW, 30FC is on the high end of what most commercial warehouses are designed for. 40-50FC is office lighting and I've seen a lot of manufacturing in that range or even lower. For very detailed work you might want 100FC. But I think if you went 30 and then added a couple of low hanging strip lights over work tables/areas you would be good.
For My work area, the lighting designer hit 90-100fc. The storage side was 50-60. After working in the bright light, I wouldnt go back. Im sure adding an extra 25-30% in lighting wasnt that big of a cost difference.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #27
Tbar
Ten Point
 
Tbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
The electricians are wiring my 40 x 50 barn as I type.

I will try to get the brand and part # of the LED lights.
Here it is.
Attached Images
 
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #28
powderburner
Eight Point
 
powderburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Houston Friendswood
Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio
Default

LED
5000K
If you want you can call any electrical distribution company and they have people that will come out for free to give you a layout analysis.
You can always add more.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #29
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt
 
Arrowsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bloomfield, Iowa
Hunt In: Iowa
Default

40'x40'x16' shop.

Five 4 lamp high bay LEDs on the 16' ceiling (16'400 equivalent lumens each). Four 2 lamp LEDs under the loft (5700 lumens each). Two single tube LEDs above the loft. All lights except the two single lamp fixtures came from Prime Lights out of Austin. Call them they will do their best to meet your needs and budget.

https://www.primelights.com/?gclid=C...IaAtNKEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #30
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default

My electrician brought out some high bay leds and we put it up next to a UFO. No comparison. The UFO blew the high bay led clean out of the water.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
Tbone3636
Ten Point
 
Tbone3636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Weatherford, Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

16-8í led bulbs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbone3636 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #32
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
My electrician brought out some high bay leds and we put it up next to a UFO. No comparison. The UFO blew the high bay led clean out of the water.
Excuse my ignorance, but what are you referring to as high bay led? Iím seeing that terminology being interchanged with UFO style high bay lighting.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #33
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

Ttt
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #34
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what are you referring to as high bay led? Iím seeing that terminology being interchanged with UFO style high bay lighting.
led lights in a fixture much like an old style fluorescent. The ufo is pretty much self explanatory due to the flying saucer shape.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #35
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
led lights in a fixture much like an old style fluorescent. The ufo is pretty much self explanatory due to the flying saucer shape.
Did you compare the specs on the fixtures? Iíve seen some large differences in output between them.

Iíve been looking at some high bay fixtures that resemble old fluorescent fixtures, just not sure which way to go yet.

These:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...xoCimoQAvD_BwE

Anyone have any experience with them?
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #36
TXDucks
Four Point
 
TXDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comal County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
40'x40'x16' shop.

Five 4 lamp high bay LEDs on the 16' ceiling (16'400 equivalent lumens each). Four 2 lamp LEDs under the loft (5700 lumens each). Two single tube LEDs above the loft. All lights except the two single lamp fixtures came from Prime Lights out of Austin. Call them they will do their best to meet your needs and budget.

https://www.primelights.com/?gclid=C...IaAtNKEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Ditto on the Prime Lights. My dad has them in his shop...super bright and work really well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
TXDucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #37
csmith936
Ten Point
 
csmith936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nacogdoches
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co/Houston Co
Default

Im getting prices on lights right now as well......40x60x16 shop.....looking at High Bay LED's
csmith936 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #38
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

These:

https://www.primelights.com/shop/ite...pl-4srhbld88fm

Or these:

https://www.primelights.com/shop/ite...hb150-ufo-ip65

I can get the UFOs for $92 a piece from their eBay store. I was thinking of getting 8 UFOs or 6 stingrays. The stingrays are $125 a piece.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #39
12RingKing
Pope & Young
 
12RingKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lake Jackson
Hunt In: The Grocery Store...
Default

I bought 8 of the primelights UFO 150W fixtures.

Thanks for putting me on to them.

I’ll post pictures one day when I get them lit up!
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com