Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers
Default Vape warnings

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6085038545001

A good friend of mine is at the hospital now trying to keep his son alive. His boy was 20 years old and healthy as a horse just last week. He is one of the 3 Houston area cases the article is speaking of.
Please keep them in your prayers. If you know someone that is doing this stuff please pass it along.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

So sad but I think lots of us saw this coming.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

That's terrible and I'll be praying for your friends son. My 18yr old vapes and I have been working hard to get him to stop. He says(and some news stories say) that the issue is with vaping THC not nicotine. Do you know if he was just doing normal vape?
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
That's terrible and I'll be praying for your friends son. My 18yr old vapes and I have been working hard to get him to stop. He says(and some news stories say) that the issue is with vaping THC not nicotine. Do you know if he was just doing normal vape?
IDK. His Dad say he has a buildup if vitamin E and glycerin in his lungs that has chemically burned his lungs inside. I know from my days of refining bio diesel that Glycerin is a byproduct of a oily substance. Probably not a good thing to be putting oily stuff down your lungs. They are worried he may never be the same. Kid was a ace Pitcher in High school going to T A&M for Mechanical engineering.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Absolutely awful. Prayers for the young man.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
IDK. His Dad say he has a buildup if vitamin E and glycerin in his lungs that has chemically burned his lungs inside. I know from my days of refining bio diesel that Glycerin is a byproduct of a oily substance. Probably not a good thing to be putting oily stuff down your lungs. They are worried he may never be the same. Kid was a ace Pitcher in High school going to T A&M for Mechanical engineering.
Well sorry to hear that, I am afraid this problem is going to get much bigger. So many people and kids are using this stuff. They just made the legal age 21 to buy the stuff, but my kid has had no problem getting it since he was 16.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
His source is probably the article I read that was from a publication friendly to the vaping industry. Said it was "black market" products. I call bs 10 on that.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
His source is probably the article I read that was from a publication friendly to the vaping industry. Said it was "black market" products. I call bs 10 on that.
Yeah I have a freind at my church that owns a bunch of vape stores that is trying to say his products are safe. I tell him to keep the crap away from my kids.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
ladrones
Pope & Young

Prohibition of cannabis makes it easier for black market products to make its way to consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Prayers sent for the young man...

This will end up being a health crisis like this country has never seen if something isn't done, and done quick, to get this crap off the market..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #11
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

From the stories I've heard up north it was chronic vapers with nicotine & I don't think it matters what you are smoking if vaping all the time.

Yeah, I'm sure black market stuff adds another bad variable, but what I've heard from my buddies trying to quit the sticks & started vaping is you end up smoking more. Before they had to be in their car, or designated area & was somewhat of a pain to get your fix. With vaping they said you could use it in the office, lying in bed or the rest room in a fancy restaurant, etc.

My son is 21 & does it occasionally but boy is momma on his butt about it...I need to quit the cope myself!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
wes122984
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

From what I have seen all cases like that are from vitamin e which if from vaping oil used in thc cartridges. Oil is not added to nicotine juices but it is added as a thickening agent for the thc.

Thc cartridges are fairly new , vaping has been around 15 years and none of these cases. Now all the sudden they are trying to blame e cigs for all this.
wes122984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
So sad but I think lots of us saw this coming.

I’m with ya in this . No one knows what kind of chemicals are in the vape juices.
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #14
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Time will tell. Just look how long it took for tobacco to finally admit the problems it caused. Big money keeps pols quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I’m with ya in this . No one knows what kind of chemicals are in the vape juices.
The chemist mixing them does. He's concerned with selling more so I'm sure they are looking out for the health and longevity of their clients. Yea right.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #16
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Prayers sent for your friend's son.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes122984 View Post
From what I have seen all cases like that are from vitamin e which if from vaping oil used in thc cartridges. Oil is not added to nicotine juices but it is added as a thickening agent for the thc.

Thc cartridges are fairly new , vaping has been around 15 years and none of these cases. Now all the sudden they are trying to blame e cigs for all this.
I've read/heard that too but the first 2-3 were said to be chronic nicotine...I wonder why the two would be so different but I know nothing of the mfg process. Just seems they would be similar??

Just watched the news & basically what I got from the dr's is we are stumped, but probably won't take long to get the missing info due to all the sick folks out there.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
Louis
Ten Point

Prayers up for your friends son
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
camoclad
Six Point

Hunt In: central tx

Hope he pulls through.
Let's see, liquid chemical concoction from the chicoms that you vaporize and inhale and it looks like your car is on fire when you exhale.... lots of warning signs with this stuff.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #20
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Yeah, I'm sure black market stuff adds another bad variable, but what I've heard from my buddies trying to quit the sticks & started vaping is you end up smoking more. Before they had to be in their car, or designated area & was somewhat of a pain to get your fix. With vaping they said you could use it in the office, lying in bed or the rest room in a fancy restaurant, etc.
I've heard this from a few people. It's a non-stop puff fest from daylight to dark.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #21
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
The chemist mixing them does. He's concerned with selling more so I'm sure they are looking out for the health and longevity of their clients. Yea right.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #22
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

By now everyone knows inhaling anything other than air is really, really bad for you.

I hate it for the guy and really feel for his family but come on people, we dont have any excuses anymore.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #23
RattlesnakeDan
Six Point

Much like chemicals that are being voluntarily put in the body by way of pill, shots etc...
Did you TRT guys know that they had to quit doing clinical studies on TRT replacement because many were getting cancer and virtually everyone that was older got cancer. Is it worth it?
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
rocky
Pope & Young

So, all these millennials are concerned about the environment, the ozone, and the carbon monoxide, greenhouse gasses, and so on, but they vape. �� Genius!!!!
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #25
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
So, all these millennials are concerned about the environment, the ozone, and the carbon monoxide, greenhouse gasses, and so on, but they vape. �� Genius!!!!
Man I see just as many old dudes vaping around me as I do young folks.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #26
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Probably old geniuses.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #27
Roy
Ten Point

Scary stuff, but just about every case I've seen involves THC oil.

Kids do stupid stuff- coincidence that a majority of these cases are teens? Not long ago we dealt with a tide-pod epidemic, people eating bath salts, people inhaling paint cans, etc...

Ask yourselves- how long have these teens been vaping vs. older people, and tie that into these cases. What is the 'true' reason for the discrepancy? THC oil. These kids will figure it out real quick that this crap of mixing THC oil in their vapes is very risky and will stop it. And then move on to the next way to get high...
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #28
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post

Kids do stupid stuff- coincidence that a majority of these cases are teens? Not long ago we dealt with a tide-pod epidemic, people eating bath salts, people inhaling paint cans, etc...

Ask yourselves- how long have these teens been vaping vs. older people, and tie that into these cases. What is the 'true' reason for the discrepancy? THC oil. These kids will figure it out real quick that this crap of mixing THC oil in their vapes is very risky and will stop it. And then move on to the next way to get high...
I believe.your on the right track
Vaping has been around for several years and suddenly its dangerous
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #29
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

This is what I've always thought of it.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #30
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Yeah it’s sad. We were informed about a young 19 yo girl through a church acquaintance that she is fighting for her life in ICU due to vaping
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #31
LlanoHunter10
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

I offer prayers to the family and for a quick recovery for all however...
I've been vaping for 3 years now with none of these issues these people are having. Me and everyone on board our vessel switched to vaping after no smoking was allowed onboard while carrying methanol. While I'm not assigning blame, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden these issues are occurring to these people and the majority of them are teenagers.
Attached Images

LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #32
Jspradley
Ten Point

Looks like most of this is happening with home brew vape fluids... not a smart move.

I wish everyone who smoked would vape instead, that way I wouldnt have to smell the lingering smoke stank. Vaping may be annoying but at least it doesnt linger like cigarette or tobacco smoke and doesnt stick to your clothes all day if you walk within 20 yards of a vaper
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #33
rocky
Pope & Young

I’m still trying to figure out why anybody would purposefully inhale **** into their lungs.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #34
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
This is what I've always thought of it.

Yep
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #35
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
I've been vaping for 3 years now with none of these issues these people are having. Me and everyone on board our vessel switched to vaping after no smoking was allowed onboard while carrying methanol. While I'm not assigning blame, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden these issues are occurring to these people and the majority of them are teenagers.
I did drugs for 6 or 7 years of my life and I am still here to tell the story at 42 (many of my friends are not). Didn't make my behavior any less risky or any safer. I'm not saying vape will kill everyone, but it is risky.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #36
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Here’s the way I understand it. The people having health issues are not using Juul or other mainstream products. A big percentage of them are vaping some form of THC. Others are using cartridges purchased on the street, DIY concoctions, and stuff purchased at jack-leg vape stores selling product from who knows where. It sounds like the problem is oil based mixtures. Big surprise - who would have thought vaporized oil in your lungs might cause problems?
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #37
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:

I guess I can't see the urinals in your pic because of all the fog.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #38
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

My understanding the basic ingredients is a mixture of nicotine & an oil heated by the battery. I’m sure people are supplementing their own home brew additives to get more stimulation out of it.
The girl we were informed about actually has pneumonia. Not sure if this is a secondary infection as a result of trauma to the lungs. That would be my guess.
I’m thankful I’ve never had any desire to smoke.
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #39
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
My understanding the basic ingredients is a mixture of nicotine & an oil heated by the battery. I’m sure people are supplementing their own home brew additives to get more stimulation out of it.
The girl we were informed about actually has pneumonia. Not sure if this is a secondary infection as a result of trauma to the lungs. That would be my guess.
I’m thankful I’ve never had any desire to smoke.
Pneumonia was the initial diagnosis in this young man but it escalated so quickly he was almost dead by the next morning when his girlfriend found him.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #40
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
There was an old russian named boris when I joined my current job who's entire existence before retiring was vaping at his desk and hitting on young women.

Then talking to me about stories from Soviet russia.

I hope he gets well. I'm in houston if their family needs anything.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #41
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

[ATTACH]Name:  004CAAE3-025B-42AE-8B57-7043CFD006BE.jpeg
Views: 1032
Size:  88.2 KB[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Yeah buddy
Attached Images

Last edited by pilar; 09-10-2019 at 10:36 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 AM   #42
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
Much like chemicals that are being voluntarily put in the body by way of pill, shots etc...
Did you TRT guys know that they had to quit doing clinical studies on TRT replacement because many were getting cancer and virtually everyone that was older got cancer. Is it worth it?
Can you please link your data source on this? There are still countless studies on TRT being done to this day. Also, in clinical trials/testing, the terms “virtually everyone” and “older” are not accurate figure used by anyone....ever. You do understand that TRT is testosterone “replacement”. Meaning your body does, or did produce it, and you are just replacing what your body stopped making. So just because someone is over 40, or “older”, testosterone now gives them cancer? Come on now....

I’ve seen you speak out against TRT on more than one occasion, with zero proof of the claims you make. You spread misinformation and attempt to create fear in others. I do not know your reasons behind this. Just keep in mind that if you look long enough online, you can find a “study” that will say exactly what you want it to. If I want to tell people that snorting Chee-toe dust up your nose causes cancer, I’d be willing to bet I could find some study out there that alluded to this claim.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 09-11-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 AM   #43
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I’m still trying to figure out why anybody would purposefully inhale **** into their lungs.
Glycerin, fine oils and GOD only knows what other types of chemicals.. Yea I agree it is baffling..
Its not like life doesn't throw a person enough curve balls as it is!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 09-11-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #44
RattlesnakeDan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Can you please link your data source on this? There are still countless studies on TRT being done to this day. Also, in clinical trials/testing, the terms “virtually everyone” and “older” are not accurate figure used by anyone....ever. You do understand that TRT is testosterone “replacement”. Meaning your body does, or did produce it, and you are just replacing what your body stopped making. So just because someone is over 40, or “older”, testosterone now gives them cancer? Come on now....

I’ve seen you speak out against TRT on more than one occasion, with zero proof of the claims you make. You spread misinformation and attempt to create fear in others. I do not know your reasons behind this. Just keep in mind that if you look long enough online, you can find a “study” that will say exactly what you want it to. If I want to tell people that snorting Chee-toe dust up your nose causes cancer, I’d be willing to bet I could find some study out there that alluded to this claim.
I spend hours researching before I make decisions on certain things. I think I was wrong on this one a little bit but not far off. I have no reason to care about what anyone else does except that I do care about you all and know people get sucked into things that they later regret. There are many more studies out there but you have to really dig for them (A relatively small number of men experience immediate side effects of testosterone treatment, such as acne, disturbed breathing while sleeping, breast swelling or tenderness, or swelling in the ankles. Doctors also watch out for high red blood cell counts, which could increase the risk of clotting.

Men on long-term using forms of testosterone therapy long term appear to have a higher risk of cardiovascular problems, like heart attacks, strokes, and deaths from heart disease. For example, in 2010, researchers halted the Testosterone in Older Men study when early results showed that men on testosterone replacement therapy had noticeably more heart problems. "In older men, theoretical cardiac side effects become a little more immediate," Dr. Pallais says.r them.)
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #45
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I spend hours researching before I make decisions on certain things. I think I was wrong on this one a little bit but not far off. I have no reason to care about what anyone else does except that I do care about you all and know people get sucked into things that they later regret. There are many more studies out there but you have to really dig for them (A relatively small number of men experience immediate side effects of testosterone treatment, such as acne, disturbed breathing while sleeping, breast swelling or tenderness, or swelling in the ankles. Doctors also watch out for high red blood cell counts, which could increase the risk of clotting.

Men on long-term using forms of testosterone therapy long term appear to have a higher risk of cardiovascular problems, like heart attacks, strokes, and deaths from heart disease. For example, in 2010, researchers halted the Testosterone in Older Men study when early results showed that men on testosterone replacement therapy had noticeably more heart problems. "In older men, theoretical cardiac side effects become a little more immediate," Dr. Pallais says.r them.)

I think there may be something to this. In the last few years I have personally run CPR calls on men in their 40's and 50's. Probably 10 in the last 3 years. All of these particular patients were on testosterone. I dont think I'm ever going to take that chance.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #46
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Sorry to hear hoggslayer. Scary stuff I was reading an article on vapes yesterday.

Backspace on the TRT argument. This isn’t the time or place imho. Not sure how that leap was made or why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #47
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
[/B]

I think there may be something to this. In the last few years I have personally run CPR calls on men in their 40's and 50's. Probably 10 in the last 3 years. All of these particular patients were on testosterone. I dont think I'm ever going to take that chance.
My Dr. was once a huge fan of T replacement injections.. He told me, at my last physical, because I asked him about it, that in the last 10 years he has seen the full gauntlet of medical issues caused by this stuff, from the least harmful to the worst, including several deaths.. He will no longer give injections or prescribe it to anyone.. He said long term studies have been published in some medical journals and it is all bad news..
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #48
Brown
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post

Do you vape sir?

Everything you note above is 1) Illegal 2) Trying to achieve an altered state of consciousness.

This is much worse, it is legal and there are still people defending inhaling a chemical into their lungs. You're not going to find a bunch of serious people promoting whippits or inhaling sharpies. I think you'll find while THC oil may have exasperated effects the "vape juice" in the long term will be more hazardous then the tobacco it intended to replace. JMO
Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #49
toomuchsun
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Central area Public Hunts

I smoked for way too long. Quit for about five years. Lucky to be alive. I firmly believe straight clean tobacco is not near as bad for you as they say. It is what they add to it and understand the truth, smoking is very bad for you period. Back to vaping, I walked in a relatives home and said what is that strong smell. She admitted to vaping and I recognized it as a known substance. It is risky to inhale stuff no matter what. Please just avoid it as you really do not know what could happen. I moved to the city and hate the smells. Give me my open areas and clean air. From a very long term tobacco user who quit and miss it like hell but will not go back. Weed is different than regular tobacco products but man made stuff is where so much risk come to play. I do not smoke weed to clarify. at least weed has medical uses.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #50
LlanoHunter10
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

Yes vaping is a bad habit, so is any form of nicotine (dip, smoking, etc). I admit in the long run it will probably have negative health effects on myself. I am not however a chronic vaper. Working the offshore oilfield, ALOT of people either smoke or dip and seeing that for 9 years I took up the habit. I didnt do it to be "cool" or be "one of the guys" but as a way to take 5-10 minutes away from the rigors and stress of working offshore and relax. Believe it or not nicotine is relaxing and gives me a satisfying buzz that (even for only 5-10 mins) takes me away from dealing with company men, alarms, calls on the intercom, calls about a pump, hydraulic ram, engine, generator or electrical issue. I switched to vaping as stated above, when methanol was carried onboard and we were no longer allowed to smoke. I dont vape or use any nicotine when I'm at home cause I dont have the same stressors like at work. Alot of people will not and cannot understand why people use nicotine and that's okay. That's my reason for doing it and being a grown man, will be responsible for my actions.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top