Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
rcm719
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine County
Default Feeding in for other people

Have a few guys on our lease wanting to pay the lease manager to fill their feeders year round for them. Anybody have insight as to how much to charge them? Does it vary depending on geological location? We've filled feeders for people in the past but just as a favor a few times and they did the same for us, but now this is something on a larger scale that we have not dealt with before.
rcm719 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I guess it depends how bad you want to do it/not do it. Are they rich, or just lazy?

What would it cost them to drive out there, fill it, and drive back? That plus 20% is where I'd start.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I don't think they'd be the kind of people I would want on my lease. Do they show up for work weekends? Then again, maybe they wont show up to hunt either.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

If they are elderly or disabled itís one thing. If itís laziness the price goes up dramatically IMO.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
MRWHITE87
Four Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

$125 hourly rate, 2 hour min. Then add drive time on top. plus fuel and 40% markup on the cost of corn whether they buy it or you do.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
$125 hourly rate, 2 hour min. Then add drive time on top. plus fuel and 40% markup on the cost of corn whether they buy it or you do.
Theyíll be out next week filling their own feeders !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
BCHUNTER
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Rocksprings,Snook Tx

I would maybe suggest they pay for the feed yours included and you fill up the feeders.
BCHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
MRWHITE87
Four Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Theyíll be out next week filling their own feeders !
Good.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I would make it painful enough x2 that they would come fill their own feeders.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
rcm719
Ten Point

Well I dont know what the age or disability status is of these guys I've never met them, lease manager called me for advice so I figured I'd ask on here.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

We fill each otherís. Never ask for anything. Im married with three boys. My brother in law is married with three kids. Our schedules donít sync.
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

For me it would be at least enough to cover the cost of my feed and fuel. You’re going there anyway, might as well make it mostly free in materials for you. Of course if they have 750 lb feeders and yours are 200lb feeders it would be different.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Iíd just say no and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #14
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

We had guys on our old lease that just truly would rather pay someone to fill them than to drive out and fill them. Ended up just filling theirs and they bought all the corn, including ours. Worked out perfect. They didn’t have to drive out, and we got our corn bought.

I’ll fill one for anyone no questions asked, for nothing in return, but this was every time over 1-2 years, so that’s what we came out with.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #15
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Must be some of my lease mates on your lease!!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

I think there should be a charge as going out and filling a feeder takes time regardless of if you are filling yours. Thatís time you could hunt, work on your stand, or be with family. Most likely they are busy and a trip is out of the question. I think if they bought your corn it would be fair deal if you live close or already planning the trip and have room for extra corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #17
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

It’s included in my lease cost in Mexico. Corn, protein, cotton seed all kept full and running but we buy the feed. Not sure what should be charged here but there are people who do that as a side job
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #18
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Last edited by bphillips; 09-10-2019 at 07:39 PM.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #19
kenforu
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, Colorado, illinois

You know I’ve had someone fill my feeders they were not lease members but my drive was 6 hours so it saved me a lot of time and money. We paid them $200 plus 15% on corn prices. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn’t. There are a lot of people who pay to have feeders filled and protein filled. Just my two cents. ��
kenforu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

The only thing I dislike about filling other peoples feeders that I don't get to hunt is I am usually on a tight schedule myself. Filling or adding a few bags for them is no problem, but when you walk up on a feeder and it's not working and I have to spend an hour fixing or have to run into town 60 miles round trip for parts, then it becomes a problem for me getting my stuff done. I would make sure they have repair parts and batteries etc for them on hand as well if I was to enter into some kind of filling deal with them. If they have ****ty feeders and control units then I'd probably pass. I dang sure will help a friend but for folks I don't know, I'm not going to be a feeder repair service for your junk units.

Depending on how many folks and feeders there are in the agreement....I would be good with they pay for all the corn/feed for both our feeders and I fill....or if there are multiple folks then maybe a little fuel money for the added work to offset an even trade. That changes if they are friends...I just make sure they pay for their corn...

Last edited by Smart; 09-10-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #21
rcm719
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The only thing I dislike about filling other peoples feeders that I don't get to hunt is I am usually on a tight schedule myself. Filling or adding a few bags for them is no problem, but when you walk up on a feeder and it's not working and I have to spend an hour fixing or have to run into town 60 miles round trip for parts, then it becomes a problem for me getting my stuff done. I would make sure they have repair parts and batteries etc for them on hand as well if I was to enter into some kind of filling deal with them. If they have ****ty feeders and control units then I'd probably pass. I dang sure will help a friend but for folks I don't know, I'm not going to be a feeder repair service for your junk units.

Depending on how many folks and feeders there are in the agreement....I would be good with they pay for all the corn/feed for both our feeders and I fill....or if there are multiple folks then maybe a little fuel money for the added work to offset an even trade. That changes if they are friends...I just make sure they pay for their corn...
This is pretty much what I told him. They are new to the lease and are just used to having this done I guess.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #22
jdavidson
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co

Letís put that shoe on the other foot...we have 32 feeders on 7500 acres and itís my job to keep them filled and in proper working condition...what should I expect to make that worth my effort ?
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #23
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

For you fellas far away from your lease spots: what does it cost you to come fill the feeders and check cards if you don't have the cell cams?? Additionally, what if the feeder stops throwing corn a day after you fill it?? Again with out cell cams you might not know and come the hunting season it might be to late to attract deer to your set up...

Give the OP an idea as to how much you would consider paying if neither you could make it out nor one of your lease buddies could fill your feeders...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #24
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm719 View Post
Well I dont know what the age or disability status is of these guys I've never met them, lease manager called me for advice so I figured I'd ask on here.
Communication will fix all this...just curious, but why is the lease manager leaning on you for guidance?? I would just assume you are ownership or simply another member who's been on the place with said LM for a long time & worked together for the betterment on the lease & appreciates your input.

Regardless, Without knowing the details of acres / numbers of feeders per hunter or bottom line...what is the actual work load to cover for those that are glad to pay for the service?? There will be some more than glad to take their $$$$, others who will only want to take care of their own & another guy or 2 who has no skin in the game I will just want to ***** about the whole situation because it is their obligation to be the lease drama twits.

All you can do is start the dialog with the group at this point & let the conversation from personal research & hopeful progressive solutions create the value. Capitalism at her finest I would hope could be worked out beneficially for all the lease members.

While I don't know of anyone I'm sure there are plenty of companies willing of filling feeders for $$$$...I know because I see their trucks & auger drive bulk feeders on trailers. Finding market shouldn't be to tough but it's all gotta start with chatting with the group & bringing her out into the open.

Last edited by Artos; 09-11-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #25
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

We pay our landowner $4/bag to fill our protein in the off season. Saves us from having to go out there and top off every 1.5 weeks and ensures that the deer keep getting fed protein. Money well spent for us with the savings of fuel and convenience.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #26
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Honestly, unless it is a friend, I don't like filling other people's feeders.

We have spent a lot of time and effort changing our feeders, making ours easy to get to and to fill. I'm just not going to climb a ladder or fool with a winch anymore.

Your local feed store will probably either give you a price for doing it or be able to recommend someone local who will do it.

If you insist on doing it, there's the market price.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #27
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

need more info to really answer, how far to lease, how many feeders, how big are feeders, are the owners lazy or busy...lol?? if it was just a couple 55 gal feeders and they bought my corn also, I would gladly do it. We keep a bunch of spare parts in camp, so if I had to change a battery or fix a broken wire I would not mind. there are people that do this to make extra money, I would see what they charge as a baseline, if you want to actually charge them.

If they are new on lease and wanting someone to fill their feeders, I would be concerned if they would contribute to general work and work weekends

I went thru a number of years that I was commuting overseas for work and did not get to the lease much, there could be any number of reasons, I would not judge them (as some are quick to do) without more info
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house

I guess it would depend on the individual, a handicap or elderly person would not be a problem. A friend maybe but he would need to replace my labor with his. If its an able bodied person then he needs to find a new lease.

My last lease had two that were the world's worst at doing feed days or camp projects. Seems like their kids always had ball practice.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #29
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

We used to do this years ago. Had 20 hunters on 11,000 acres. The hunters bought the corn and each member payed someone $200 to fill feeders and protein. The corn would be delivered to the ranch on a 18 wheeler like a Home Depot truck with a fork lift. Not all members did this but a bunch did especially when itís 110 degrees in the summer. If 15 guys paid, the couple guys filling feeders(usually someoneís kid) would make $3000.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #30
gmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt County

No reason to make it complicated:

Expenses + value of your time= answer
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #31
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

I know a guy from Mason that destroyed a $40k diesel pickup(10 yrs ago) filling feeder's on a ranch this side of Del Rio.He was paid $30k to take care of 25 feeder's year round.He lasted one year.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Feeding in for other people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
Honestly, unless it is a friend, I don't like filling other people's feeders.

We have spent a lot of time and effort changing our feeders, making ours easy to get to and to fill. I'm just not going to climb a ladder or fool with a winch anymore.

Iíd like to edit my answer about to ďIím not filling your stuff unless I can reach it from the ground or my truck bed driving up next to it.Ē Thanks for the reminder Rod. . I too have made it a point to go to stand and fills or truck bed fills.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #33
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
We pay our landowner $4/bag to fill our protein in the off season. Saves us from having to go out there and top off every 1.5 weeks and ensures that the deer keep getting fed protein. Money well spent for us with the savings of fuel and convenience.
Man that would get expensive real quick on my place.

How big are your feeders?
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #34
6.5CM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I think when you’re on a lease you have to trust and help each other out. I’ve helped cleaned senderos and put feed for other hunters. In the return they’ve done it for me. It’s a give and take, if they ain’t helping you out in some way or don’t even bother asking if you need something charge em.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #35
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
Man that would get expensive real quick on my place.

How big are your feeders?
I thought the opposite.

If we feed 40 tons a year at $4 a a bag, that’s $6,400 total split between all lease members. I guess if you were paying it yourself, but split up, it would be way less than gas.

I spend $150-$200 in gas every trip just going to the lease and back. I like going to the lease, so I couldn’t do it, but I thought it was actually a decent deal as long as you’re all splitting it.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #36
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

i suppose i would prefer my feeder be the only one that's full all the time! maybe hunting is just not their thing.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #37
Hunting4fun
Eight Point

Nope and one reason why. Are you going to be in charge of changing feeder times? What happens when the battery dies? What happens when the feeder funnel gets clogged? What happens when coons hang on the spinner plate and bends it? Are they going to want you to "check that out while you're there"?
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #38
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Call local feedstore and see if they offer this service then add 20%. Contract feed store to do it for you;-)
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #39
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Enough that it'll hurt and they'll either fill their own feeders or you can pocket some real cash.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #40
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

I haven't filled a feeder in years and quite frankly, I don't miss it. We have Lyssey Eckels deliver and fill the feeders with their hopper truck. It is super easy and costs $10 per feeder. Yes we pay delivery fee but again it is convenience. The idea of someone filling a feeder for another is not a new concept. It boils down to convenience for one equals money for another. Who cares what the reason for the convenience is-cost of gas? 6 hours away? Doesn't care to do it and would rather do something else? Its nice to know it is handled and I can go do other things at the ranch or at home or whatever. Does it make you less of a hunter? Less of a man?? Less of a lease member? The fact that they asked you to fill and are willing to pay is way different than someone that says they will show up for a work weekend then cheeses at the last minute and pulls a no show. I think some of the comments above are confusing the two scenarios.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #41
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

First, let's hope that you get to know the guys this season and yall become friends to whatever extent because you share a lease together. This should be an easier question to answer after that happens. Three out of the 9 on our lease members feed year round. We drive out together and all work together to get everyone's feeder filled and to fix any issues that may arise. In the rare occasion one of us has to bail last minute, we pay for our 1/3 of fuel to whoever is driving as we would if we were together. Almost 800 mile round trip so that's a tank-full.

I have hunted on leases before with strangers as lease-mates and I don't like the anxiety it creates for me. Hunting is too much fun and I look forward to it too much all year to have "stranger-danger" issues mixed in....
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #42
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

Are these your friends?

Just ask them to cover all the corn (theirs and yours) and your lease BEER for the year and you will fill feeders.

Are these strangers?

Do all the math suggested above for fuel/time/corn cost and mark it up 20-40%
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #43
sboudreaux
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

I kept the feeders filled on a pasture next to ours for a guy that used to manage our lease. Wasn't a big deal as I had more time on my hands then and he covered my feed. The only issue was his feeders weren't new and they constantly were breaking and I got blamed whether they were working when I filled them or not. Enough of that and I told him to have the feed store do it which he did but still had problems when he came to hunt. Feeders will quit working for a variety of reasons so as long as both parties understand this I think it can be a workable deal.
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #44
rcm719
Ten Point

Lease is in Sabine county right before 6mile bridge, LM and myself live in Hockley TX and the members in question live in Houston, Baytown and Caldwell. 2 feeders each (55gal drums) acreage is just shy of 1500. I told him to just charge for price of corn and fuel and whatever else he decides is necessary. I personally wont be doing it as I hardly go out these days due to always being gone for work. Thanks for the input fellas
Old 09-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #45
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I was on a La Salle County lease several years back with 2 friends. I was retired and they both still worked, so I did most of the clearing shooting lanes, filling feeders, cutting firewood, etc. That was just fine with me as I got to hunt the place alone Monday thru Friday and didn't have to share with anyone, and I liked that.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #46
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

I fill a few feeders for people. Whether they buy the feed or me its just an hourly rate. I am rigging up a bulk feed trailer now with a blower for corn or protein.

Can build feeder pens, run cameras, mow camp areas etc. Want to start doing food plots and stuff with a tractor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #47
Paycheck
Eight Point

I live in Waco and hunt in Star. I would pay someone $100 + corn to fill them if I was in a bind and can't make it to the lease.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #48
DedDuk
Four Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

I do it for a couple of people on our lease. I buy corn, they pay me for corn, I get to hunt their spots when I want. ( I only work 6 months a year so Im there more than anyone)
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #49
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I don’t mind doing it for a buddy that is just too busy to get there. But if you’re not coming because you’re lazy then you’re on your own.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #50
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart8 View Post
I know a guy from Mason that destroyed a $40k diesel pickup(10 yrs ago) filling feeder's on a ranch this side of Del Rio.He was paid $30k to take care of 25 feeder's year round.He lasted one year.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Not doubting this happened but how did he destroy the truck? 30k to buy feed and fill feeders or 30 k just for filling the feeders??

I would be all over filling feeders for 30k a year....
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top