"Culling Doesn't Work in Wild Populations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Culling Doesn't Work in Wild Populations"

Great video, and massive amounts of research...

This GameKeeper Scope Film explores the details of a decade long study by Texas A and M into the effects of culling on free range white tailed deer genetics.See the only known high speed footage of aerial deer captures and understand the methodology and results of this first of its kind study.

Interesting - I know Donnie from the Comanche and he is good as they get.

Seems to me something not mentioned in this video/study is the fact that culling mouths (doe or sub par bucks) leaves more of the browse/supplemental feed for the remaining deer to consume which in turn enhances their growth.

The question not answered for me is this - if you are on a ranch with superior genetics/management/browse and you have an 8 point buck you have watched for 4 years. He is a basic 8 point and most of your bucks are 10 points up to 20 points. Even though (as the study states) that 8 point could have some better genes in him that what he is showing if you are going to thin your herd to keep the population/mouths down would you not want to cull that 8 point as opposed to culling bigger deer?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunting fool nailed it----and take the does early leaving more browse for the remaining deer later in the season when food is scarcer.

Comment

I think it sounds like a gamble. For instance, I had a 7 point last year that was a 4 yr old. Decent frame but no brow tine on his left side. Didn't shoot him mostly cause I didn't want to waste a management tag on him. I ended up shooting another 7 point with almost the exact same frame only he was 5.

This year after seeing a lot of those same type genetics I'm going to take this guy out first chance I get. Point being I think a lot folks before me let deer like this walk and now we have a lot of these type genes running through the herd. We also have some really good genetics but not as many. If this was true I think the majority of free range deer would be sired by the older more impressive deer. Which in most cases is the norm.

I think our current majority gene pool leader are short tines and missing brows. Very common trait on our lease. Why are there so many deer with less than desirable racks at different age classes if the genetic trait was not passed down.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            No Popcorn needed - just a civil discussion which is what this hunting forum should be about. I love to be open to new ideas and management versus the old way of doing things. IMO both have merit

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

Seems to me something not mentioned in this video/study is the fact that culling mouths (doe or sub par bucks) leaves more of the browse/supplemental feed for the remaining deer to consume which in turn enhances their growth.

The question not answered for me is this - if you are on a ranch with superior genetics/management/browse and you have an 8 point buck you have watched for 4 years. He is a basic 8 point and most of your bucks are 10 points up to 20 points. Even though (as the study states) that 8 point could have some better genes in him that what he is showing if you are going to thin your herd to keep the population/mouths down would you not want to cull that 8 point as opposed to culling bigger deer?
              This. We don't "cull" thinking we're cleansing the genetic pool of undesirable traits. We harvest select deer to free up resources for those that do have the desired traits.

Comment

Meateater podcast just covered "genetics" a few weeks back. Better food/diets will improve the herd in 2-3 generations far more than "culling genetics" will affect it.

Comment

I'm a huge believer of taking your worst " bull " out of the pasture, but only to keep the range in better shape for my more promising deer. But, you must realize he has already breed so much that his genetic footprint will remain ( or his patriarch has). You're delirious if you think by removing him his genetic landscape is gone. There is no perfect recipe, just found this one interesting since so much effort and data was established to make a simple sentence " culling does not work in wild populations".

Comment

Originally posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
                    Meateater podcast just covered "genetics" a few weeks back. Better food/diets will improve the herd in 2-3 generations far more than "culling genetics" will affect it.
                    Agree - but what if you do BOTH ? More bang for your buck?

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      I'm a huge believer of taking your worst " bull " out of the pasture, but only to keep the range in better shape for my more promising deer. But, you must realize he has already breed so much that his genetic footprint will remain ( or his patriarch has). You're delirious if you think by removing him his genetic landscape is gone. There is no perfect recipe, just found this one interesting since so much effort and data was established to make a simple sentence " culling does not work in wild populations".
                      Never been told I was "delirious" LOL. I appreciate the video - was not knocking you for posting it at all

Read my post again please. Never said the genetic landscape was gone. Just stated the question - if you are going to cull for reducing mouths to feed do you cull a 4-5 year old 12 point or a 4-5 year old 8 point?

Comment

Guess it works both ways? Letting the big deer live on so they can breed and spread their seed is Bullchit?

Comment

Never been told I was "delirious" LOL. I appreciate the video - was not knocking you for posting it at all

Read my post again please. Never said the genetic landscape was gone. Just stated the question - if you are going to cull for reducing mouths to feed do you cull a 4-5 year old 12 point or a 4-5 year old 8 point?
                          Lol... didn't mean you were delirious " personally!! " it was a general statement sir

The worst bull always leaves first but I know his sons are running rampant

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            Lol... didn't mean you were delirious " personally!! " it was a general statement sir

The worst bull always leaves first but I know his sons are running rampant
                            My wife thinks I am personally!

I just love discussing this stuff - fascinating.

I am blessed to be on one of the best LF ranches in Texas for many years - I read studies all the time and this one is from the best of the best. It bumps up against what we have done with wonderful results so naturally I have questions.

Do you guys cull on your Mexico ranch? Just curious

Comment

Thanks for posting this!

Culling isn’t to alter genetics in a herd, but to make more space/food for better deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X