Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co
Default Drawn for Richland Creek WMA

Got drawn for the archery hunt at Richland Creek. TPWD website says itís closed due to regional flooding. Quick searches show the hunts have been cancelled due to flooding in the past pretty regularly. Anybody have more specifics on the current state of the WMA?
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
KBM
Six Point

Not sure why it would be, I live about an hour southwest of it and we hadn’t had a good rain in a while.

Last year we drove by the dam and they had all the spillway gates open, my 4 yo son asked where all the waters goin so I told him. We took a right onto 287 and that area was flooded, he was lookin out the window and said wow daddy that’s alota dam water(he wasn’t using profanity he said it cause the water comin over the dam) it took a awhile for my and wife to stop laughing. Every time I drive by it still gives me a good laugh
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico

the river bottom in that area flooded this spring and early summer. It has been receded for about 3 months or so. Hopefully the facilities were not damaged and the hunts can go on as planned, assuming it doesn't flood again this fall.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

It was cancelled last year when early fall rains came. I’m actually not sure it’s been hunted in 2-3 years.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I hunted it year before last
Last year we got hammered and this whole spring. Iím honestly surprised they are going to hunt it this year, it stayed flooded for months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Lots of hogs and good deer there
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Default Rc wma floodwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
I hunted it year before last
Last year we got hammered and this whole spring. Iím honestly surprised they are going to hunt it this year, it stayed flooded for months

Yeh Iím kinda too getting skeptical after research that the hunt will actually take place. Seems counter productive to offer a draw hint somewhere that has. Good chance of being canceled by itís been flooded for months. Maybe Weíll get lucky again and itt happen but ainít counting it.

Thanks to all who offered up advice.

Brad
Old 08-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Congrats

Looks like we didn't draw any archery hunts this year
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #9
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

In a normal year RCWMA will not flood in October. I have hunted on it and beside it on private for years. I wouldn’t worry about it flooding the chances of it doing two years in a row are slim the deer are definitely still there. Now I would be more worried that the State doesn’t rebuild the infrastructure aka roads back and open it up if it is still closed down. The hunting will be fine the deer have been getting flooded on that river for centuries!

The only time it hurts the deer is if it happens during while newborn fawns are on the ground like this year. Newborn can’t swim out.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Anybody know the status of this WMA? Website showing it’s closed Can’t get a hold of anybody and been finding bits of info it’s pretty common they cancel this hunt?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties

Make sure you have a LPU or APH permit if you decide to scout it, LPU is cheaper. South unit isn't closed until September 1 or October 1 every year, it changes check the APH booklet this year. North unit is only closed during the draw and post card hunts. Yes they will cancel at the drop of a hat for a little rain but last year was a legit reason to call it, flooding was bad. I've been there where it was sprinkling with chance of rain duing the hunt and they were already talking about shortening the hunt.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Make sure you have a LPU or APH permit if you decide to scout it, LPU is cheaper. South unit isn't closed until September 1 or October 1 every year, it changes check the APH booklet this year. North unit is only closed during the draw and post card hunts. Yes they will cancel at the drop of a hat for a little rain but last year was a legit reason to call it, flooding was bad. I've been there where it was sprinkling with chance of rain duing the hunt and they were already talking about shortening the hunt.
When you say south unit isnít closed till Sept or October 1.... Does it close to the public after that? My draw is for the south unit.

Thx Brad
Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Found some info. I understand now. It closes to the public on October 1. Unfortunately it appears it’s already closed presently due to flooding. Beats me....
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #14
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Just call the place. Just because it says closed due to flooding may be cause the web hasn't been updated in a while.
I've been out there 3 times but all on the north unit, so I can't say about the south unit. But I've seen some of the deer that has been taken from the south side. Pretty nice. Only advice I can give, acorns will be dropping then. Find the food, you will find the deer. Once you know what compartment you will have, do a speed scout. I always found at least 2 stand locations. I always took at least 3 stands, a climber and a couple of lock ons.
Good luck on the hunt!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #15
bossbowman
Ten Point

It probably is still closed, every time it floods like last year I think I believe the roads are damaged, hopefully everything is fixed by the october hunt but wouldn't count on it.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
Tx Trad Archery
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Private and Public

I was there back in April on the South unit. Didn't look as bad this year as it has in the past 3-4. I know there was a bunch of rain back in May, but I think you're good to go.

Every time I've gone to this WMA I've seen 4-5 deer/ day. Haven't seen any big bucks, but I also haven't gotten to explore some of the more remote compartments. I've read in the past about compartment #11
Tx Trad Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
bossbowman
Ten Point

Find the trails going to feeders bordering comp. 11, the neighbors hunt it unbelievably hard and the deer know to stay in the WMA especially the old smart ones.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #18
moondog
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

I was selected on the 2nd draw, today. Pretty stoked!!
What is the difference in the SOUTH unit vs. the area that has been available in the past several years.
If anyone has a compartment map they're willing to share, that would be very much appreciated.
See y'all there
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
Tx Trad Archery
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Private and Public

Compartment maps for both units.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...ures/ALLRC.pdf
Tx Trad Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
moondog
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Trad Archery View Post
Awesome!

Thanks
Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I was selected on the 2nd draw, today. Pretty stoked!!
What is the difference in the SOUTH unit vs. the area that has been available in the past several years.
If anyone has a compartment map they're willing to share, that would be very much appreciated.
See y'all there
They've used to use the north and south units for the draw hunt, IDK if they were going to hunt the north last year but that hunt got cancelled for flooding. Most of the the north unit has now been turned into wetlands but they did purchase some land locked private tracts in there they have long been trying to get, the south unit was bigger even before the wetland project. When I've hunted it before more deer were harvested on the north side but the bigger bucks always came from the south.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #22
moondog
Four Point

I will be hunting at Richland Creek (archery) in a couple of months. The hunt brochure says ATV's are recommended, but that a "safety course certification" is REQUIRED.
Does anyone know where to get that certification? I am south of San Antone, and don't mind going there, and would even drive to the DFW area if needed. All the online research I've done has turned up nothing. I called DPS and they say they know nothing about that and are not affiliated with anyone. But the brochure states that it MUST be a "DPS approved" certification. Google turned up numerous places in San Antone, but a phone call to them and they do ONLY motorcycle safety training.
Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PS: I also posted this on the drawn hunt thread.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Last time I was there, they didn't even ask about it. Now, this was a few years ago. Even at the Keechi Creek hunt, me and my boy loaded up the 4 wheeler and took off. No helments, no nothing!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #24
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Not much help but the certification I have is from Texas DPS, ATV Saftey course. It was years ago and I couldnt help track down who Hosted it. Best bet would be to call TPWD and speak to someone from draw hunts and explain situation. I’d prolly bet your fine without it. I’ll see you there at RC WMA. Black F350, Green Polaris Ranger.

Funny thing is I thought about throwing the little atv saftey card away earlier this while cleaning out my wallet. Thought to myself” how stupid is this”.

Brad
Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 AM   #25
moondog
Four Point

Thanks, guys!
I did call TPWD, but the lady I spoke with couldn't or didn't help. I'll try again in a little while.
See ya there, Bradical. Silver Tacoma, 16' trailer with 2 ATV's. I have 2 brothers on the ticket, also.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #26
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I will be hunting at Richland Creek (archery) in a couple of months. The hunt brochure says ATV's are recommended, but that a "safety course certification" is REQUIRED.
Does anyone know where to get that certification? I am south of San Antone, and don't mind going there, and would even drive to the DFW area if needed. All the online research I've done has turned up nothing. I called DPS and they say they know nothing about that and are not affiliated with anyone. But the brochure states that it MUST be a "DPS approved" certification. Google turned up numerous places in San Antone, but a phone call to them and they do ONLY motorcycle safety training.

I would call that WMA and verify everything you need to be legal, I know years ago there were several long faces after they were denied ATV use because they didn't have the OHV sticker or necessary safety equipment. It was lots of red tape then but I think they may have simplified it since, it was like they didn't really want you using ATV's because of liability issues.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #27
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

To many snakes and pigs . Not like it used to be
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #28
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
To many snakes and pigs . Not like it used to be
I scouted it last year and saw a bunch of deer and i mean a sh@# load, they were everywhere. I wish it was still type II land like the old days or at lease draw more archery permits which they used to do too, it certainly could handle it.

Last edited by bossbowman; 08-30-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:23 AM   #29
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:

The biologists will rarely say anything about the safety requirements but if a game warden shows up he probably will. You need the safety course and helmets for an atv but this is not a requirement for a utv or orv. You will also need the state off road permit on either an atv or utv. I cant help you with a safety course location. Good luck!
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #30
moondog
Four Point

Thanks everyone for the input.
Neither TPWD nor DPS was helpful. When I searched online for DPS "approved" safety courses, there was a map with "lots" of training centers. I called all of the places listed in the greater DFW and San Antonio area. None of them offered a course for ATV's. Only for motorcycles. I finally found a place called ATV Safety Institute. They offer a FREE online course. Takes a couple of hours to complete. Then I called RCWMA and was advised that this was sufficient. I also ordered the OHV stickers for 2 ATV's and my 4WD truck. The truck does require that sticker if it is going to be used "off road". The OHV stickers are $16.00 and are good from 9/1/2019 - 9-1/2020.
With that the RCWMA guy said that we should be good.
BTW, the ATV Safety Inst. will push you to take their "hands on" school; but I did not. Don't know what that cost is or where it is offered.

Thanks again guys for the input. I am really stoked on this one.

Moondog
Old 09-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #31
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

we always had good luck on the North unit, down by the river, along the pipeline. Hogs had it tore up but lots of deer, some nice ones too.
I can see how it would flood really easy.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #32
moondog
Four Point

Does anyone have any input for this area with regards to chiggers and mosquitoes? Are they usually a problem at this area, this time of year?
ESPECIALLY chiggers. I HATE those little vampires.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #33
Yak blue
Nubbin' Buck

My observation is by late summer/early fall chiggers have about run their course. I did an October bow hunt at RC and had no issue with chiggers.
Mosquitoes are another matter.
Yak blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #34
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Bring a thermacell

Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #35
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

We just picked up this hunt on 2nd draw as well. North Unit.

Heading up tomorrow after work. Going to scout all day Saturday.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #36
Jzoch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Tagged!! I was drawn also!!
Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #37
moondog
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
We just picked up this hunt on 2nd draw as well. North Unit.

Heading up tomorrow after work. Going to scout all day Saturday.
What hunt is being held at the north unit?
I wasn't aware of any hunts on the north unit this year
Old 09-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #38
moondog
Four Point

Quote:
What hunt is being held at the north unit?
I wasn't aware of any hunts on the north unit this year
Nevermind! I found it. The E-Postcard hunts
Old 09-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #39
jnd1959
Eight Point

We sure have a lot of us pickup up 2nd draw hunts. I've already accepted mine just in case it is a snafu.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #40
moondog
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
We sure have a lot of us pickup up 2nd draw hunts. I've already accepted mine just in case it is a snafu.
I noticed that myself this year. Seems to be a lot more than usual,,,,hmmm!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #41
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Lots of deer hunting at RCWMA this year. I wonder why the epostcard Hunt is 2 weeks and the draw hunt for the south unit is 4 days?
Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #42
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

E Postcard for North is 3 weekends and 2 weeks in between. Probably b/c it's a harder hunt. Take more effort and time to zero in on patterns.

I'm headed up tonight. Gonna **** off some waterfowl guys driving around tomorrow deer scouting.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #43
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Spent last night and all day today scouting and dodging buckshot from waterfowl guys. Most of the gates were closed and will remain closed until waterfowl closes on the 29th. If you want to scout big woods, it's a long walk.

If it rains before our hunt, rubber boots will be a must. Maybe even a kayak and/or waders to access areas without having to bust through woods.

Counted 23 does, 2 hogs, bunch of rubs and 3 scrapes.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #44
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
Lots of deer hunting at RCWMA this year. I wonder why the epostcard Hunt is 2 weeks and the draw hunt for the south unit is 4 days?
Probably because locals complaining about the restricted access to deer hunt this place compared to 2 decades ago when it was type 2 land. Its still too restricted for the size of the place but this year the opportunity is better than it has been in a long time.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #45
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Probably because locals complaining about the restricted access to deer hunt this place compared to 2 decades ago....
I would say this is spot on.
Friday night I asked a waterfowl guy how the check-in process worked. After his explanation he asked if I was going to hunt on Saturday. I explained our group had been selected for the archery hunt and he proceeded to complain about how none of the locals were drawn and how only Tarrant County employees ever get drawn.

These guys were driving around packed in trucks like sardines with a bed full of billy bobs standing with binoculars and guys sitting on top of the cab while driving roads looking for birds. Parked on the sides of the road, middle of road with doors open to keep cars from driving by. Saturday 3 or 4 groups in each compartment square shooting over each other, shooting over road, cars, it was a show for sure.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #46
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

My son was Drawn for Youth GDE . I hunted there a few years ago and we are stoked !!! To say the least .
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #47
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
I would say this is spot on.

Friday night I asked a waterfowl guy how the check-in process worked. After his explanation he asked if I was going to hunt on Saturday. I explained our group had been selected for the archery hunt and he proceeded to complain about how none of the locals were drawn and how only Tarrant County employees ever get drawn.

These guys were driving around packed in trucks like sardines with a bed full of billy bobs standing with binoculars and guys sitting on top of the cab while driving roads looking for birds. Parked on the sides of the road, middle of road with doors open to keep cars from driving by. Saturday 3 or 4 groups in each compartment square shooting over each other, shooting over road, cars, it was a show for sure.

That whole waterfowl thing they got going on over on the north side is a mess. The best thing they could do is make that a postcard type hunt and limit it to X number of hunters per week. As a former water Fowler Iíd rather put in for a draw and get to hunt a quality period of time and not be crowded vs getting in line every day and battling crowds.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #48
bossbowman
Ten Point

I guess it is a postcard system part of the year but yeah for teal a mess, do like the youth hunt rules for the north unit.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...phtml?OCat=EPW

Last edited by bossbowman; 09-16-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #49
ScooterG
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Robertson co

Make sure that you guys post your results. There are some awesome deer down there. Gold metal skeeters too.
ScooterG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #50
Bradical BH
Eight Point

For any of you guys that have hunter here in the past what’s the general consensus on getting set up to hunt? What are you looking for? Food? Water? Trails? And how are you hunting ? Pop up? Tree stand? Will a ladder stand work? With only three 1/2 days looking for some advice to maximize time. Never been close to this WMA , no idea what kinda of terrain to expect. Thx in advance