Sunn Hemp Verdict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunn Hemp Verdict?

There was quite a bit of talk on sunn hemp the last couple of years and some of y'all were giving it a try. How did it turn out for y'all?

I planted some in a blend I made at our lampasas place. I was thinking it would get a little taller, but the deer hit it hard and then it stopped raining and it never got much more than a foot tall. The deer definitely eat it well, I was hoping to use it more as a soil builder, but I don't think that concept would work at our place without irrigation or exclusion fences to keep the deer out of the plots. We have a really high deer density.

This is how it looked in one of my plots on April 30 last year:

Comment

686 How many acres did you plant?

Comment

Elgato had a picture with his growing over his buggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          686 How many acres did you plant?
          I planted about 4 acres on our 200 ac low fence place in Lampasas. Sunn Hemp is a tropical plant, (from Hawaii), which is one reason why it does great at Elgato's place in LA (more quantity and consistency of rain than central Texas).

Dr. Deer says spring deer plots west of I-35 are a lot harder to get good results on vs. east Texas, and I agree. Fall/Winter plots are where we can get some good return on the dollar invested west of I-35.

I planted about 10 acres of fall plots in September, and about 8 acres of the 10 is doing great. Instead of trying to spray/disk those plots and plant them for spring, I think I'll just let them go to seed and I'll plant spring dove mix on about 6 acres of other open area.

Comment

I tried it last year, was pretty underwhelmed. It grew ok but it was last choice for the deer imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last year, I planted about 2 acres of it specifically to see if it could withstand the grazing pressure of my local herd. Normally I/C peas or anything with a growing point above the ground would be killed if only 2 acres on my plots. It grew well and the deer hit it hard. My exclusion plots showed a differential of about 3-4 ft by September, so I know the deer were getting their fair share. The results were conclusive for me to plan on planting about 8 acres over 2 plots this year. I already have my seeds in the garage to plant.

Comment

I've planted some the last 2 years. My deer ate on it the first year pretty good and absolutely hammered it last year. I plan on planting more acres this year. All of mine is non irrigated and it did well with some timely rains.

Comment

Looks like I will have to give it a try.

Comment

I tried it last year on 1 acre. Planted mid April in north Texas. Took quite a while to germinate. I think it needs pretty warm soil temp before growing.

It was a thin crop about 3' in height, but the deer browsed it pretty hard thru October.

Will be trying again this year, but will plant May 1st at double the rate.

Comment

What rate are y'all planting it at?

Comment

Planted Sunn hemp a couple of years ago and had great success with it . Same as all food plots , needs rain to make it go. Last year , no rain, not good results. Here is a pic , with good moisture . The deer hammered it once it got established.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by drslonghorn; 03-11-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I planted it this year (was in PowerPlant mix). It grew to over 6’ tall and the deer never touched it.

Comment

I been planting it, it has several benefits. It is a soil builder and will grow anywhere on my place. Deer will graze it till I shred it. It is still growing right now and over 8 ft tall, very hardy plant.

The deer never touched it the first year, but I guess they figured it out cause they will strip the leaves off of as high there neck will stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                              I planted it this year (was in PowerPlant mix). It grew to over 6’ tall and the deer never touched it.
                              Dont give up on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X