East Tx Deer Numbers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    On how many acres? 60 deer may be too high and maybe not?
    6900 acres, 70 hunters. Extended seasons, pre & post.

Comment

In our area, we had an increase in numbers on camera...I would say we have seen almost 2x the deer that we have seen in the past few years...BUT, we located more cameras on trails and less on feeders. Our on stand sightings were lower....probably saw less deer on stand than other years, but, the numbers are there.

My hunting partners only made it out 3 times this year, so our sightings were mostly dependent on me. We did have a great decrease in hog sightings, even on camera...I am glad for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamahamma View Post
        6900 acres, 70 hunters. Extended seasons, pre & post.
        I doubt 48 does on 6,900 is too high. That’s one harvested doe per 144 acres. Your club (like most large acre MKD clubs) wouldn’t be affected by what I am theorizing. When you get into small private tracts (of which there are more and more smaller parcels ever year) the doe per acre harvest can soar ... especially in situations where each landowner legally takes a doe or two.

Comment

Overall sightings of deer in October and first part of November were higher for me on my lease in southeast Polk county. Most of the does seemed to be very young because their fawns were about the same size as them in November. I saw a lot of young bucks while hunting and on camera. I only had two bucks that would make 13" on camera. This was very disappointing because normally I have 4-5 over 13" and mature.
          The power company clearing the edges of my right of way the last week of October and the timber company strip cutting the second week of November played a big part as to why I didn't see more, along with the acorns.

Comment

I doubt 48 does on 6,900 is too high. That’s one harvested doe per 144 acres. Your club (like most large acre MKD clubs) wouldn’t be affected by what I am theorizing. When you get into small private tracts (of which there are more and more smaller parcels ever year) the doe per acre harvest can soar ... especially in situations where each landowner legally takes a doe or two.
            With 70 members and less than 100 acres per member, that's not a lot of deer harvested.

As well, I based my initial observation in comparison to So or West Texas. I hunt once a year in Webb county. The drive below Beeville to Loredo has an abundant amount of deer in comparison to East Texas. I see groups of 3 to 15 along side of the road in multiple locations and have for years. At a point 10 years ago, I'd see groups of deer along the hwy's in East Texas. Not as much in the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamahamma View Post
              With 70 members and less than 100 acres per member, that's not a lot of deer harvested.

As well, I based my initial observation in comparison to So or West Texas. I hunt once a year in Webb county. The drive below Beeville to Loredo has an abundant amount of deer in comparison to East Texas. I see groups of 3 to 15 along side of the road in multiple locations and have for years. At a point 10 years ago, I'd see groups of deer along the hwy's in East Texas. Not as much in the last decade.
              So you are agreeing that it appears numbers are down.

Here is the odd thing... when I bought my place 13 years ago it had LOTs of deer. The folks who hunted it before me did NOTHING in regards to food plots, protein, etc. Not even sure they ran feeders??? They claimed to shoot deer as well. For the first several years it was great. This is in line with the time when Polk County went 13 inches. Then it just gradually fell off. Although I managed to take a nice buck last year, my stand observations were as weak as this year. So it’s not a matter of tilling a few extra plots or feeding protein, there were deer on my place when the land was full on neglected.

Comment

Unless Im misunderstanding, yall are saying that the 13"AR and MLD has deterred the deer population?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Unless Im misunderstanding, yall are saying that the 13"AR and MLD has deterred the deer population?
                  No. Or at least I was not thinking that. My theory is the emphasis of overall harvest has shifted from shoot bucks and lay off does to a lay off young bucks and take a doe instead. MLD, because of the program itself, manages deer based on acre/estimated population and IS the right way to go about managing deer populations.

AR is very good, but many people who may not get the chance to see a legal buck, or by their own choice pass a young legal buck gladly shoot a doe or two and call it good. I believe in some instances we are over harvesting does based on the reality we have made it okay to shoot does. There I said it.
                  Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 01-20-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

No. Or at least I was not thinking that. My theory is the emphasis of overall harvest has shifted from shoot bucks and lay off does to a lay off young bucks and take a doe instead. MLD, because of the program itself, manages deer based on acre/estimated population and IS the right way to go about managing deer populations.

AR is very good, but many people who may not get the chance to see a legal buck, or by their own choice pass a young legal buck gladly shoot a doe or two and call it good. I believe in some instances we are over harvesting does. There I said it.
                    Ok, I see your point and its a valid one. I really don't know what to think about MLD sometimes. In some locations the deer population responds to it, other locales it seems to reduce the population. That being said, Im not sure MLD is about the population as much as the health of the herd. Sometimes less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Ok, I see your point and its a valid one. I really don't know what to think about MLD sometimes. In some locations the deer population responds to it, other locales it seems to reduce the population. That being said, Im not sure MLD is about the population as much as the health of the herd. Sometimes less is more.
                      In regards to MLD the only flaw I see is there is an emphasis on doe harvest and East Tx has never been exactly over populated with deer. That being said, the doe harvest to acre is fairly low on MLD clubs. MLD is not designed to over populate the woods with deer and reading your response you understand that.

Comment

So you are agreeing that it appears numbers are down.

Yes. It's never been a strong herd but lately, 'seems weaker than norm.

I'm off this lease (MLD) after Sunday. If I can't find a lease somewhere, I'll save the money and hit some trophy hunts, go to the comp ranch for some doe management until I find something.

Interesting conversation.
                        Last edited by Yamahamma; 01-20-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

B, might not be a huge contributing factor, but the club we’re both familiar with has a pres who runs his hog dogs whenever and more importantly wherever he wants.

Comment

I think more does are being harvested. We shot zero does this year because our buck doe ratio on camera us actually more bucks than does. Fawn recruitment this year was horrible. Maybe predators...maybe just all the crazy rainfall.

Another thing is that many more deer are being killed in archery season since crossbows are catching on so good. That ups the doe harvest for sure. Interesting thread.

Comment

Yes, good thread, good read. Thanx Anvil

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I am curious to see if anyone jumps on tonight and adds insight.

Comment

Working...
                                X