Which blood tracking light is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
    Really? Will have to run that test this year.
    Put foil behind the light so most of it shines forward. You do not want light shining all around.

Comment

I have this light and its a great light for tracking.
      Only drawback is it starts to feel a bit heavy on long tracks.

Comment

Coleman lantern. I promise... absolutely the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
          I have this light and its a great light for tracking.
          Only drawback is it starts to feel a bit heavy on long tracks.
          Specs show it weighs 14 oz.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
            Put foil behind the light so most of it shines forward. You do not want light shining all around.
            Great tip. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
              Brightness or whiteness really isn’t what does it. In lighting there’s something called “color rendering index” or CRI which rated on a scale up to 100. The higher the number the more vibrant colors appear to be and the easier it will be to distinguish blood You can have a very bright very white light with a low CRI which will cause all of the colors to be dull and hard to distinguish. Get a light w the highest CRI possible.

I’ve never tested a lantern but it is possible that it has a lot of red in the emitted light spectrum which would cause the red specifically to really pop while other colors may still be dull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Really good info. Thanks!

Comment

Coleman Lantern.

Comment

This is what I prefer.

And yes, I have used a Coleman lantern.

Comment

Old school Coleman lantern is the best thing out there. My streamlight also works very well.

Comment

Any example of lights with a high CRI?

Comment

Stinger DS because it is so bright. Use to use the coleman lantern with tin foil. I think any really bright flashlight would work better than the lantern. I have tried several blood tracking lights and none were worth a pinch of salt.

Comment

I agree the old coleman lanterns are probably the best but they take up to much room and I never think about grabbing them. I prefer just using the newer bright led headlamps that I can put in my cargo pockets and have them when I need them. The bigger issue I've had is when you have a bunch of other red colored leaves or brush in the area. Add a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide to you first aid kit in the truck and a separate spray bottle. When you start spraying the questionable blood it will foam if its blood. Just don't open the original seal on your peroxide until you need it because it will leak out and bleach whatever it makes contact with.

Comment

Working...
                          X