No announcement yet.

Refinery Job Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really appreciate everyone's input with all my questions. I'm glad yall have this real world experience that I can count on. Got really discouraged when I saw $41,000 as the low end for a starting operator online. Shift work shouldn't be an issue for me as I currently work 30/30 with 12 hour shifts offshore.

Comment

You will probably have to try for a smaller facility, most of the places now seem like they want experience as an operator, or a degree. With a maintenance type background I would shoot for something like that. Same pay/benefits as an operator but day shift.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
        I really appreciate everyone's input with all my questions. I'm glad yall have this real world experience that I can count on. Got really discouraged when I saw $41,000 as the low end for a starting operator online. Shift work shouldn't be an issue for me as I currently work 30/30 with 12 hour shifts offshore.
        I started in 2014 at a chem plant.. I came in at the 18 month rate. I worked 1200 hours of overtime that year and made 120k. We had a turnaround in 2020, with that and people being out for covid I could have made over 200k . I turned down 40 or 50 days of overtime.. shift may not be for everyone but I love it.. The guys I work with will make trades so we rarely miss a kids ball game or special event .. I do work holidays but you get use to making plans around work .

Good luck there are a lot of people hiring right now.. get on linked in and sign up for job alerts..

Comment

Process operator is the way to go. Most places it’s a Cush job most of the time. You won’t have a problem making 100k a year.
          Go for it, you won’t regret

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Spoken like a true salary tur d.
            I spent many years watching grown men act like children inside the gate. It gets old fast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
              I spent many years watching grown men act like children inside the gate. It gets old fast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              There is always one or two, but it wouldn't stop me from working shift work. I have found that shift does not have the market cornered on infantile people.

Comment

Been an operator for almost 13yrs now. I’m currently a board (console) operator. I’d overlook the negativity spoken above. Shift work has its pros & cons. I work 14 shifts a month. 7 days and 7 nights. I’m off the rest of the time. I do have to work 2 weekends a month though. Once a month I get 7 straight off in a row. You’ll end up with way more time to spend with your family than most, if that is your priority. Plus, time off during the week to hunt/fish when everyone else is at work. This schedule also allows you to have/pursue a side business on your time off if you have a desire to. You can make $100K a year working little if any overtime. As an operator, you are paid for what you know. Not what you do. By that I mean, you are paid for what you know how to do should an upset situation occur. You are not paid to stay busy for 12hrs a shift. It’s not expected. Atleast not at most places. As long as you get your rounds done, what you do the rest of the time is up to you. The comment about metabolism/diet....that’s total BS. Eat right and have some self control and it’s a non issue.
                Good luck to you.

Comment

Shift worker for 46+ yrs. Has its up & downs. Can make a lot of $ but will miss a lot of birthdays, soft/base ball games, anniversaries, Christmases doing it! For the past 20
                  +yrs i have made 100K+ & climbing but as said. Retired as of 12/31/20 and happy now!

Comment

I work at Valero Refinery

I would stay away from batch plants if possible. I started there but would avoid that if given a choice between jobs.

Benefits, 401k, etc are top of the line

We work 12 hour shifts and are on the dupont schedule. The dupont schedule is the best schedule in my opinion if deciding between jobs. I have worked a 4 on, 4 off as well.

After 8 hours we get paid overtime on the remaining 4 hours everyday. Not every company is like this. Most just pay regular pay for the 12 hours.

You can expect to work 150 hours to 500 overtime hours depending on what plant you get hired at in the industry. I generally work about 200 hours or less a year of overtime. This is not including the mentioned 4 hours of OT each day.

You can expect to make 25 an hour up to 60 an hour depending where you work. Most places will be in the 35 to 40 dollar range per hour. The 60 an hour is on the high end and I believe that is enterprise pipeline controllers but that is hearsay.

Basically you will work about 6 months out of the year and make at least 100k. You can make up to 200k if you work a lot of overtime.

Some plants offer bonuses. The best bonus in the industry is at Ineos but Valero offers a pretty good bonus as well. Not every place offers bonuses. Be thankful if you get hired at a place that does.

You can expect a pension plan in addition to a company matching your 401k contributions. Matching contributions are generally 6% up to 7 or 8 percent.

You will make good money.

However, the negative is you will miss lots of family and friend gatherings. You will be off in the weekday and working weekends. You will work holidays. You will work in the rain or crappy conditions. Transitioning from days to nights sucks. It takes a toll on your body.

If you work with a great group of guys on shift it is awesome. On the flip side, if not, you are stuck with those guys or that guy for 6 months and 12 hour days....

Training will depend a lot on you and your ability to be a go getter. There are programs but they look better on paper than they are actually in the field. You will not be thrown to the wolves but you need to show drive on your own. Go out every time there is a problem, ask questions, and help your coworkers. In return, they will be more likely to come and help you. Plus, you get more exposure and hands on experience. Study P&IDs and trace pipes on your own, but don't hesitate to ask questions. The more you show that you don't need your hand held the more help you will get. You have to understand that your coworkers do not want to invest their time in someone that is not putting forth effort.
                    Last edited by Beargrasstx; 01-18-2021, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Don’t work in a refinery but I think the stability by itself would be worth the move compared to working offshore. Being away from the family won’t be as bad at least you’ll be home everyday. Been trying to get into a plant for a few years now but most plants around here require a college degree.

Comment

One thing I always tell people.....doesn’t matter how much a barrel of crude is selling for, it still has to be refined......job security. We haven’t had a lay off in over 20 yrs. Been so long I don’t even recall. It was back when my dad was still alive and working there.

Comment

I’ll be honest, I only skimmed through the responses to the thread. You will get some varying opinions based on a diverse set of experiences that people have had. I was in chemical plant operations for about 8 years. In my experience, it would be hard for you to avoid enough overtime to make less than 100k/year.
                          Depending on whether you prefer shift-work or not would determine what field. Operations would obviously be shift. Maintenance group would offer the same benefits and similar take-home pay, but no shift. I’ve had roles in operations that were really busy and not much laid-back time. My last operations role was total opposite, we had to search for something to do.

Comment

I can't tell yall how much these responses mean to me from alot of real work experience. Its making me feel better about this change. I figure between my degree and my offshore machinery and engineering experience, I should do okay. Lots of prayers ahead for a positive change. Thanks guys.

Comment

I'm looking at making the switch back to land from a drilling rig also. This 28 day hitch alone I've missed Christmas, daughters bday, sons first deer, New Years, and my anniversary. The money is good but missing half of seeing my kids growing up is getting old.

Comment

Good Luck to you Llano!!

Comment

Working...
                                X