10 day modified fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 day modified fast

Partially inspired by the other fasting thread, the 2021 TBH Weight Loss Challenge, the desire to challenge myself personally, to retrain my body's eating habits, and the desire to kickstart ketosis, I decided on Sunday night to go on a 10 day modified fast. The only calories that I will be consuming will come from heavy whipping cream and MCT oil in my coffee.

I am currently on day 4, not eating since Sunday evening around 8 pm.

Day 1 was tough, but I felt the same. Just hungry. I was able to occupy my mind enough that it didn't bother me at the end of the day and I just went to bed.

Day 2 was the hardest so far. I felt sick. Headache, tired, and making mud the biggest things. Hard to concentrate at work, had to get up and use the restroom numerous times as I became empty. I checked to see if I was in ketosis but I don't think I was. The strips seem a different color, and since any moisture can ruin them and they were in a bathroom for 2 years, I think they are old.

Day 3 was an improvement. Mentally, I felt better. I had some more energy than I did previously. The hunger is still there, but I keep it to water and coffee. The scale said I was down 10 total pounds since my first weigh in for the 2021 TBH Weight Loss Challenge, and 7 total since starting the fast, which I am sure is only water weight and bowels emptying at this point.

Day 4 is today. I am not as tired, I have been taking Magneseum, Potassium and eating salt for electrolytes. I continue to have foul bm and my intestines gurgle... I feel "healthier" righ now. I feel leaner... But I should expect that with the volume that has left my body. I feel more flexible, but I am also having cramps. I took another pee test to see if I were in ketosis. It changed colors, as it would if I were in ketosis, but the color doesn't seem to match anything... I ordered new sticks to test.

Challenges are ahead for sure. I will be on a 2 day hunt with my neighbor on 1200 acres looking for a couple of does. There will be a ton of hiking involved. I am going to bring food in the event I can't handle thee amount off energy expended. I may double up on minerals too, and will certainly have plenty of water available.

Secondly, I will be golfing with dad next Wednesday, day 10. Not too bad, but I do love to drink beer with dad on the golf course. Will have to forego the beer this time.

With 6 days left and work plus activities occupying my time, I am confident that I can make it to day 10.

My plan is to gently roll back into foods with maybe 3 to 5 days of protein shakes with mct oils 2x a day, then 3 to 5 days of that plus veggies... I am not really sure of where I go from there, but taking it one step or challenge at a times.

This is a huge challenge, but big challenges bring big accomplishments.

I never tried anything like this so I have no clue. I would think that you wouldn't want to go on a hike and not have eaten anything in several days, seems like a great way to cramp up beyond being able to move or get out of harms way. Be careful!

Comment

Wondering, when you fast do you loose much muscle in the process or the fasting period is not long enough for that?
      Keep at it, props to you

Comment

Good luck!

If you were my neighbor and were doing this for the first time while we had a trip planned I'd tell you to just stay home

Comment

That's awesome!
          Drink Snake Juice. Best and easiest way to get your Magnesium, Potassium and salt for electrolytes.
          Last edited by DirtyDave; 01-14-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
            I never tried anything like this so I have no clue. I would think that you wouldn't want to go on a hike and not have eaten anything in several days, seems like a great way to cramp up beyond being able to move or get out of harms way. Be careful!
            With the Magnesium, Potassium, Salt this isn't really an issue.

Originally posted by 2good2Btru View Post
            Wondering, when you fast do you loose much muscle in the process or the fasting period is not long enough for that?
            Keep at it, props to you
            No muscle loss. Muscle can be gained while fasting if you are working out.

Most people are carrying around enough calories to go without food for quite a while. Fat stored in your body is there exactly for this purpose. Fuel for when you are not eating.

Comment

Good luck. I honestly don’t know why someone would put theirselves through that type of torture, eat clean and get some exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by 2good2Btru View Post
                Keep at it, props to you
                This was a concern at first, and I thought about just drinking protein shakes but then I am not really fasting. I wanted the challenge and if I loose muscle, I figure it's easy to gain back. At some point there will be a muscle gain portion of my health goals. Right now I need to reset my body.

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                Good luck!

If you were my neighbor and were doing this for the first time while we had a trip planned I'd tell you to just stay home
                I am currently feeling better than before I started. I will have food with me in the event I feel weak. I think a mile or so should be ok... Hopefully I won't have to track too far. We will have a game cart and should be able to drive if needed. If I need to end the fast for my safety, no problem at all, we will call it a good attempt. From what I read, after you get over the crumminess and your body adapts, you end up full of energy. I ha e a reserve of about 225,000 calories to dip into

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                Good luck. I honestly don’t know why someone would put theirselves through that type of torture, eat clean and get some exercise.
                From a mental standpoint, I needed a fresh start. I had an opportunity to this earlier in life, didn't do it. I need to break habits and this should give me the confidence plus
                A reason to continue. Unfortunately I often wall of the bandwagon after small accomplishments. I am thinking doing something big will give me reason to not go back. Honestly this is probably what addicts face... I can't compare personally, but I do feel as though my poor habits have come from some kind of food addiction. Plus I don't think I would describe this as torture. To me, jogging is torture haha. I would. Rather do anything else.

Which as I ramble brings me to another point... Another reason I wanted to do this iss because at 287 lbs I really was having a hard time doing exercises I could do in college. I have seen a loss in flexibility, endurance, etc. If I can get to a healthier weight, I can do the exercises better and improve cardio, yadda yadda its like compound interest in health.

Comment

I’ve thought a lot about trying this. Are you doing any workouts during the fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    I’ve thought a lot about trying this. Are you doing any workouts during the fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    No, just walking, golf and the hike/hunt trip over easy terrain.

Comment

Good luck. I'll be following along. I did a 24 hour fast yesterday and was surprised how easy it was for me. I thought I'd get a splitting headache after not eating lunch. I plan on doing more research before considering going longer than 24 hours.

Comment

Well, I made a ton more mud this morning. It wasn't good. Stomach gurgled and gurgled... I broke the fast this morning after 108 hours. Only 4.5 days. I had a bowl of soup and a low carb tortilla wrap for breakfast. My hope is that the tortilla will soak up the liquid in my body that keeps coming out so I am not derailing the hunt tomorrow.

Not sure what I was doing wrong to have the digestive system so upset. I will research and make another attempt.
                        Last edited by ctom87; 01-15-2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          Well, I made a ton more mud this morning. It wasn't good. Stomach gurgled and gurgled... I broke the fast this morning after 108 hours. Only 4.5 days. I had a bowl of soup and a low carb tortilla wrap for breakfast. My hope is that the tortilla will soak up the liquid in my body that keeps coming out so I am not derailing the hunt tomorrow.

Not sure what I was doing wrong to have the digestive system so upset. I will research and make another attempt.
                          The only thing you were putting into your body was high fat. If your body isn't used to that alone, then that's probably what it was. MCT oil can be very upsetting to your stomach anyhow. I can't imagine it on an empty stomach.

Valiant effort. Glad you knew when to pull the plug.

I've got 1hr and 25min until my 72hr Fast is over. Nothing but water and black coffee since 8:00pm on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                          X