Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default Anybody deal with eye floaters?

Saturday afternoon I was clearing some dead limbs and took a slight poke in the corner of my eye. It wasn't bad - only hurt for a minute and didn't even leave a red mark on my eyeball. The next morning I woke up to find I have a little squiggle floating around in that eye. It is most noticeable when looking at a blank wall, the sky or a computer screen. After consulting my primary care physician (Dr Google) I'm not sure it is even related to getting poked - floaters are very common and have multiple causes. Everything I read said it is not even worth a doctor's visit unless your vision is narrowing or getting blurry. (symptom of detached retina) It also seems there is no real treatment - you just have to get used to it. Sometimes they go away sometimes not. Right now it is really annoying - anybody deal with this?
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

I thought everyone over 40 had floaters. I have them but only notice them under certain conditions. Maybe you are more focused on your vision after injuring your eye.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I see them when looking through a scope.
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Doss, TX

I've had eye floaters since I was really young (early elementary school first time I noticed them)...several in each eye. I only really notice them in high contrast situations but I guess b/c I've had them so long I've learned to ignore them
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
daniel044
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

I had one about 10 years ago that completely blurred my vision in one eye for about 4 hours. Thought my retina detached so I went to emergency room. They sent me home and it cleared up. No problems sense. I would just see a eye doctor just to be sure.

I bet its just a minor scratch to the eye and will heal in a few days. Will be annoying though.
daniel044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I’m 34 and I remember having them since I was little like 7 or 8 years old. I never knew what they were. I was scared to ask, I thought it was ghost or something when I was younger lol.

Last edited by STX_Shooter; 02-03-2020 at 10:52 AM.
STX_Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I can’t remember ever not having them
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

When I scratched my eye a couple times I went to Opthamology Associates on Lancaster/Summit. They always got me in quickly and were very thorough and didn’t break my wallet. You only have one set of eyes - the worst they can tell you is “it’s normal”.
StrayDog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
TxSon1836
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

get em all the time. you try and focus on em and they run away lol. i was told its small build up similar to the crust that builds up in your eye when you sleep.
TxSon1836 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

I've had them all my life, they come and go. My eye doc said they were a protein something or other that gets into this certain part of the eye to optic nerve connection. At least that's the best I remember the conversation according to my memory, (my least reliable source of information).
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
travlinman
Four Point

Hunt In: Austin and Shackelford Counties

Need to get the eye checked. My eye doc in Katy looks at my floaters every 6 months. Floaters can be caused from eye disease, eye injury, tumors, etc. Best since you poked your eye that you get them checked.
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

I had floaters so bad a few years after cataract surgery I had to have a vitrectomy in both eyes. A few floaters is nothing to worry about.
TexasTK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
TexOddball
Four Point

Hunt In: Travis Co, public all over

If that bugs you, you should try an ocular migraine! I get them about twice a month, usually a crescent-shaped squiggle in my vision that starts small near the center and expands out to the edge over the course of half an hour or so. It’s a moon-shaped spot that looks like tv static. Started when I was a teenager, scared the hell out of me until I was finally able to get an eye doc to understand what I was describing. Apparently I’m one of the lucky few that get them without any pain like a normal migraine. I’ve been told to pay attention to foods or stress to figure out what might trigger them, but I’ve never been able to see any kind of pattern.
TexOddball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Had them as long as I can remember. I still have 20/20 vision so I don’t worry about them.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexOddball View Post
If that bugs you, you should try an ocular migraine! I get them about twice a month, usually a crescent-shaped squiggle in my vision that starts small near the center and expands out to the edge over the course of half an hour or so. It’s a moon-shaped spot that looks like tv static. Started when I was a teenager, scared the hell out of me until I was finally able to get an eye doc to understand what I was describing. Apparently I’m one of the lucky few that get them without any pain like a normal migraine. I’ve been told to pay attention to foods or stress to figure out what might trigger them, but I’ve never been able to see any kind of pattern.
I get these also and it seems to be at random.

If floaters are really bad, they can be reduced with a laser treatment.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I do and they are annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Have them and yes they get annoying. I just went to the eye doctor last month and she says that the fix now is pretty invasive but that they are working on a laser treatment that looks promising. I'm sure it wont be cheap.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #18
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I am 73 and have a small detachment of the jelly layer in each eye--not the retina. First diagnosed while driving at night and when I'd blink I would get a flash like someone shined a light at me. No deterioration of vision but I have a tiny BB-sized black spot in the visual field of each eye and like you, when I look at the sky I can see them. There is also another thing which I describe as a spider web floating in the eye that moves when I move my eyes. Only bad part is sitting in the stand and scan with eyes only---I move my eyes and the black spots move, tricking me into thinking there is an animal there.

I get an annual follow-up with the ophthalmologist and no further deterioration since the initial diagnosis.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I have had them since my eyes were damaged with unsanitary contacts. I only see them involuntary if I am looking at a blue bird sky. I can make a conscious attempt to focus on them at any given time. (like right now against the computer screen). But they don't bother me.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #20
spotsanddots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Im same someone above. I have one in right eye. I can look a certain direction and it will "float" away. Very annoying, but eye doc says theres nothing he can do about it. Very annoying, especially when its right in the middle.
spotsanddots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #21
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Not really a floater, but I burned my right eye welding when I was a teenager. I have a dot that goes everywhere I look. I'm used to it, but it is very annoying when I'm squirrel hunting.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #22
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

my eyes have been full of them for 20 years
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #23
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

I get these weird aberrations when a migraine is incoming.

They usually migrate across my line of sight from the lower right corner to upper left, for the time they are directly ahead of my retina, it's impossible to see clearly looking straight ahead.

I was blown away the first time I noticed it, then a simple description in google resulted in images of exactly what I was describing.

Name:  640px-Migraine_aura.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  24.3 KB
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #24
Tbar
Ten Point

Had em for years.......
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

John, I think you and Dr.Google diagnosed them correctly. I have had them for years and thought they would go away after cataract surgery; not so, and my eye doc said I just had to live with them.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #26
TCR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I cant remember ever not having them
Same.....have had them for as long as I can remember.
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #27
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

I've always had them. They've gotten worse after 40, but you just kinda learn to deal with them. They mess with me the worst when I am bird hunting!
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #28
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

I got a ton of floaters. Craziest thing, I had one about a year ago where I could watch it actually fly across my eye from side to side if I moved my eyes quick enough. One piece was still attached but the rest of it wasn't. Eventually that day it all came apart. It's a big one too.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #29
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'm fortunate to not have them show up until age 63. Mine are like a little crumpled wad of black thread and so far it is only in my non-dominate eye. I guess I'll just have to live with it.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #30
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Woke up with one this morning that looked like a house fly buzzing my head but it’s gone now. I’ve had retina surgery, cataracts removed, so it’s pretty common to me.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #31
CP25OD1
Spike

Youre more than likely fine. I would get checked though. Ive seen small injuries like this seem like no big deal then progress into a retinal detachment. It doesnt cost much to see and eye doctor and get dilated. Worse part is waiting on the dilation go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CP25OD1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #32
Reelthreat
Eight Point

Quote:
If that bugs you, you should try an ocular migraine! I get them about twice a month, usually a crescent-shaped squiggle in my vision that starts small near the center and expands out to the edge over the course of half an hour or so. Its a moon-shaped spot that looks like tv static. Started when I was a teenager, scared the hell out of me until I was finally able to get an eye doc to understand what I was describing. Apparently Im one of the lucky few that get them without any pain like a normal migraine. Ive been told to pay attention to foods or stress to figure out what might trigger them, but Ive never been able to see any kind of pattern.

I just had one of these for the first time and I am 42. Scared the crap outta me and almost went to the ER. Lasted about 15-20 minutes and back to normal...

As for floaters, had them all my life.
Reelthreat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #33
Barrett
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tarpley

YEP
The really get annoying during dove season!!!!!
Every time I look up there is a bird coming at me.
Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #34
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Yep. I have had floaters for as long as I can remember.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #35
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Quote:
If that bugs you, you should try an ocular migraine! I get them about twice a month, usually a crescent-shaped squiggle in my vision that starts small near the center and expands out to the edge over the course of half an hour or so. Its a moon-shaped spot that looks like tv static. Started when I was a teenager, scared the hell out of me until I was finally able to get an eye doc to understand what I was describing. Apparently Im one of the lucky few that get them without any pain like a normal migraine. Ive been told to pay attention to foods or stress to figure out what might trigger them, but Ive never been able to see any kind of pattern.

I have been having these randomly for a year or so now. Not very often, but I am sure they are connected to stress dealing with medical problems.
Strangest thing I ever heard of, a jagged lightning bolt looking thing starts somewhere in my vision, it grows, and moves across my field of vision, and gradually drifts away. No pain, and I have never had it anywhere but relaxing sitting in a chair.

I also have an issue where my right eye will not line up with my left causing double vision. Its called 6th nerve syndrome. It's like a stroke, but not a stroke that affects one of the nerves that controls some of the movement in that eye. Happens every 2 or 3 months and lasts about 5 mins. Except in 2017, the 1st time it happened, it lasted a month. Went to 3 different eye specialty docs, they told me if would eventually go away and sure enough it did. Happened once while driving, I closed my right eye and got off the highway and sat in a parking lot til it went away, the drove on.

I also cannot remember a time when I didn't have floaties in my eyes.
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #36
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
YEP
The really get annoying during dove season!!!!!
Every time I look up there is a bird coming at me.
This year was the worst yet... I can't count the number of times I flinched!
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #37
LWC
Ten Point

I noticed them when I was in college 20+ years ago. Saw them mostly when I was sitting in the classroom staring at the chalk board/white board. Went to eye doctor and he basically told me I had floaters and to learn to live with them. I just ignore them for the most part. Hasn't been a huge deal for me.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #38
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

I don't get floaters, but I get ocular migraines.
Mine are like a kaleidoscope amoeba obscuring an area of my vision.
Usually when I'm dehydrated.

Hope you are better soon, Jerp!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #39
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Go on a goose hunt when the fog is an inch and a half off the ground and thick as all get out. You'll be amazed and scared to death at the same time.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #40
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

I had the same surgery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
I had floaters so bad a few years after cataract surgery I had to have a vitrectomy in both eyes. A few floaters is nothing to worry about.
White Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #41
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
I had the same surgery!
Sorry to hear that. Pretty dang invasive surgery but the end result was great, no more of those **** webs, strings, & floaters.
TexasTK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #42
jrfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan co.

I have had them In both eyes for years. You will get used to them. I rarely even notice mine unless i think about them. I see them mostly when my eyes are closed.
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #43
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Ive had them off & on since I turned 40. I have noticed that certain antibiotics clear them up when I take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top