Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county
Default 25-06 neck shot

Iím a 22-250 shooter for deer and hogs and most other S Texas game, my son 12 yo has also been shooting my custom rifle and hadnít missed until last weekend at his biggest buck , 6 shot 6 dropped in the tracks. My question is how much damage to the neck will the 25-06 do. I have a 1st gen sendero Iím thinking of letting him neck shoot his trophy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

It will do plenty of damage just like the 22-250 will do if you hit the vertebrae or jugular. If you don't then it makes a nasty wound or you miss.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
coy-ote
Ten Point

I have used 40 grain bullets for head and neck shots and never had much damage in the neck, we to a buddy who loaded me some heavier bullets for my son to shoot and itís still not a lot of damage but Iím worried bout a 115 25-06

Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
coy-ote
Ten Point

Since itíll be a shoulder mount , I know taxidermist can fix it but just curious

Old 01-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

As said depends on what you hit, I neckshot a buck with a 300 win mag, deers head was flopping around like a coontail on a f150 radio antanae when the 2nd shot knocked him down at a dead run about 60 yds further away.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Mac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards, Kendall

It’s hard to say, I’ve seen a 7mag put a hole that once seen you could never tell it was there and seen holes from a 22 hornet that were almost baseball size. I think it’s more relative to what is hit in the neck and what type of bullet you are using, not necessarily the weight of said bullet.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
coy-ote
Ten Point

He refuses to shoot behind the shoulder, says he donít want it to run off and suffer, he just turned 12 but heís been shooting deer since he was 6 with my rifle

Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
Mac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards, Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy-ote View Post
He refuses to shoot behind the shoulder, says he donít want it to run off and suffer, he just turned 12 but heís been shooting deer since he was 6 with my rifle

Tell him to use a high shoulder shot. Drops them every time even w/ a really small caliber. Wastes a little meat but they arenít running anywhere.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
drwilliams
Eight Point

Quote:
Iím a 22-250 shooter for deer and hogs and most other S Texas game, my son 12 yo has also been shooting my custom rifle and hadnít missed until last weekend at his biggest buck , 6 shot 6 dropped in the tracks. My question is how much damage to the neck will the 25-06 do. I have a 1st gen sendero Iím thinking of letting him neck shoot his trophy!!

Use the 117gr Hornady SST for the neck shot and I promise you will have a softball size exit hole. Seen it many of times. That was my south Texas set up. Heck I killed a 275lb Kansas buck with that set up right behind the front shoulder and he dropped right where he stood at 175 yards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #10
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Tell him to use a high shoulder shot. Drops them every time even w/ a really small caliber. Wastes a little meat but they arenít running anywhere.
This would be a wiser choice.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
coy-ote
Ten Point

Iíve taught my boys that we donít kill and take it lightly and say a prayer of thanks. My 9 yo has been with us since he was 5 and has shot rodents out of the blind with a .22. I believe they knows what hunting entails and to be the most ethical hunter as possible he has seen this buck 3 times, got buck fever on opening weekend and said dad I canít stop shaking I canít make a good shot! I said ok weíll wait til youíre ready.i was proud of him for making that choice on his own, another hunter had seen this deer and said that deer gave me buck fever I can only imagine a 12 yo.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
J-J Matt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Donley, Collingsworth, and Gray Counties. ND, NM, KS

Teach him to shoot them behind the shoulder. A 40 yard death dash with a bullet through the heart/lungs is a lot less suffering that living with a blown out neck muscle when he misses the vertebrae or jugular. I don’t care how many you shoot, it will happen.
J-J Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #13
coy-ote
Ten Point

Oh I agree so out will come the safe queen sendero for shoulder shot

Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Aim for the base of the neck, right in the middle of the crease where the neck comes out of the shoulder. Front of the shoulder, rather than top of the shoulder. It's basically a neck shot, just at the base of the neck. DRT every time. If there is a bad exit wound, just get a wall pedestal mount and let that exit wound side face the wall.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #15
BarW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

The high should shot is like lighting in a bottle with 2506.
Does damage some shoulder meat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #16
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Depending on what ammo is used and where in the neck you hit them, but if you hit the vertebrae, it's going to explode and the deer is done. If you just hit muscle, or the throat, it will make for a nasty wound.
I have shot many deer with 55 gr. 22-250s moving along over 3800 fps. The vertebrae shatters in a bunch of little pieces. I had one leave about a 6" long slice that looked like it was done with a scalpel on exit. I have neck shot them with 308s and got small hole in and decent sized hole out, with a instant dead deer. I have gotten the same results with a 223 on a neck shot. A buddy of mine wound up shooting one through the throat with a 7mm Rem. Mag, made a big hole in it's throat that got infected. I would like to have seen what a neck shot with my 7mm Mag. hand loads looked like. I have never neck shot one with any of my 7mm Mags. I would assume a mess. I always liked the 22-250 neck shot results.
I would say most 25-06 ammo should do quite a bit of damage on a neck shot, if you hit the vertebrae.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #17
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-J Matt View Post
Teach him to shoot them behind the shoulder. A 40 yard death dash with a bullet through the heart/lungs is a lot less suffering that living with a blown out neck muscle when he misses the vertebrae or jugular. I donít care how many you shoot, it will happen.
I like to shoot directly in the shoulder, but I agree with the neck thing.

Oh wait... I read right here that if you shoot at a deers neck you either get a DRT or a clean miss
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #18
JeffK
Ten Point

Buck fever, already missed, and now different gun does not seem like a good combination for a neck shot. Wouldn’t be a good feeling watching his buck jumping up and high tailing after a neck shot. Shoot behind or through shoulder.
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #19
DimmitCo
Four Point

Quote:
Teach him to shoot them behind the shoulder. A 40 yard death dash with a bullet through the heart/lungs is a lot less suffering that living with a blown out neck muscle when he misses the vertebrae or jugular. I don’t care how many you shoot, it will happen.
Very true that making a non-lethal shot to the neck will happen if you neck-shoot enough times.
DimmitCo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 04:39 AM   #20
Wayspr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Aim for the base of the neck, right in the middle of the crease where the neck comes out of the shoulder. Front of the shoulder, rather than top of the shoulder. It's basically a neck shot, just at the base of the neck. DRT every time. If there is a bad exit wound, just get a wall pedestal mount and let that exit wound side face the wall.
Agree completely. Shoulder is a much higher percentage shot.
Wayspr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #21
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:
Teach him to shoot them behind the shoulder. A 40 yard death dash with a bullet through the heart/lungs is a lot less suffering that living with a blown out neck muscle when he misses the vertebrae or jugular. I donít care how many you shoot, it will happen.
Yes it will. Saw a doe that my grandfather neck shot get up and run off after flopping on the ground. No more neck and head shots after that all behind or in the shoulder.
droebuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #22
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Oh I agree so out will come the safe queen sendero for shoulder shot

If he's comfortable with the 22-250 let him shoot one behind the shoulder with the 22-250. Federal Power Shok or Rem Core Lokt 55 gr do the trick every time. The Federal Power Shok leave a bigger hole. Tight behind the shoulder equals a dead deer with a pretty big margin for error. If he can shoot the 25-06, that would be the better choice. Lung shot deer often run a little. Hit them in the shoulder with that 25-06 and they will drop a large % of the time, but you'll make a mess of some meat. Forget about the neck shot if you're planning on shoulder mounting the deer.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #23
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

My wife uses a.224 Valkyrie in 90 gr. This year I had her take neck shots because she's built confidence that she could could make the shot instead of a shoulder shot. She is not going to get a follow up shot because she gets too wound up after shooting. I taught her to make the shot and then when she is done she can get excited so she is cool and calm before the shot but afterwards she shakes and her heart pounds so loud you can hear it. Her buck this year had a pretty good hole on the exit side of the neck even with that smaller caliber. But it saved any ruined meat and got a drt.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #24
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

25-06 behind the shoulder, done deal. He might run 50 yards but it will be an easy track. I would rather clean a deer body shot with my 300 ROY than my 25-06, the 25 leaves blood from the nose to the tail.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #25
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Quote:

High shoulder shot and they drop EVERY TIME. I have a 25-06 and love it. Deer hate it.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #26
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

Quote:
I agree. A deer walking around with a sucking neck wound is not a pretty sight.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #27
KX500
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

You're doing your son a huge disservice to let him 'refuse' to take good hunting advice! He is too young to have that kind of control. Threaten the loss of something he values if you have to.

If nothing else explain to him that on a neck shot you have about a 2 inch circle to put the bullet into.

On a behind the shoulder the size of that circle increases to what 4-5 inches?

Stuff happens when you pull the trigger. Which shot is more likely to lead to a wounded deer?
KX500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #28
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Since itíll be a shoulder mount , I know taxidermist can fix it but just curious

Never shoot anything in the neck intentionally that you want to shoulder mount!!!
Sometimes when a bullet exits it will severly stretch the skin around the exit hole which can cause the hair to fall out around that stretched area(bald spot).. It can also do this stretching even when the bullet stays right beneath the skin but doesn't exit..
There a lot of other lethal places to shoot your trophy..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #29
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:

He refuses?? Hmm.
He's 12?? Hmm.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #30
Big Al
Eight Point

I have a first gen Sendero in 25-06 as well. I shot a doe in the neck at 105yds using Winchester 115gr silver tips. She dropped in her track’s never knew what hit her. Meat Damage was not as bad as I expected. Of course the vertebra was destroyed.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #31
Big Al
Eight Point

Forgot to mention I shot off a Caldwell Fieldpod. Rifle was rock steady
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #32
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

I shoot 25-06 a lot. My favorite shot is slightly quartering away. Through the vitals and dead into the offside shoulder. Some run, some don’t. All die very fast.

I neck shoot a lot of deer, but only when I can have absolute confidence in the shot. Rock solid rest, not crazy long, etc.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #33
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble
Default 25-06 neck shot

My Dad shot a buck in the neck with a 25-06...7 days later he shot him again...this time in the shoulder.

This was the wound from the first shot.

Last edited by Backwoods101; 01-10-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
PapaBear
Ten Point

The doe on the ground was shot in the neck with a 25-06 facing me. I was using factory Hornady 110gr eld-x bullets. Decent hole in the back of her neck. The one hanging was shot behind the shoulder and ran about 30 yards. The neck shot was drt.

PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #35
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

I was headed to the stand one evening and shot an Axis buck in the neck and dropped him. Went on to the stand, finished my evening hunt and drove over to pick up the Axis...he was still breathing...that was the last time aimed for the neck.

I had another indecent where I had to borderline decapitate a doe with a knife because she was still alive after a neck shot.

Now Iím a huge fan of the shoulder
Old 01-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #36
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Granbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX500 View Post
You're doing your son a huge disservice to let him 'refuse' to take good hunting advice! He is too young to have that kind of control. Threaten the loss of something he values if you have to.

If nothing else explain to him that on a neck shot you have about a 2 inch circle to put the bullet into.

On a behind the shoulder the size of that circle increases to what 4-5 inches?

Stuff happens when you pull the trigger. Which shot is more likely to lead to a wounded deer?
Agree ^^^^
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #37
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Lightbulb Nervous break down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
As said depends on what you hit, I neckshot a buck with a 300 win mag, deers head was flopping around like a coontail on a f150 radio antanae when the 2nd shot knocked him down at a dead run about 60 yds further away.
Had the same thing happen with my .300 , but found him still alive 10 days later chasing does , could not believe the massive amount of damage and him living with it never mind chasing the women

To the OP blast the deer through both shoulders ( break em down hard ) ď never lost a deer with no heart or lungs and two broken shoulders ď
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #38
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post

To the OP blast the deer through both shoulders ( break em down hard ) ď never lost a deer with no heart or lungs and two broken shoulders ď
^^^^ I lost a few with the "behind the shoulder shot" but knock on wood, never lost one with the "through both shoulders shot."
Old 01-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #39
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I vote high shoulder and that is coming from a guy who was raised to only neck shoot animals because we hunted for meat. I didnt start shooting animals behind the shoulder until I started bowhunting.
sierracharlie338 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #40
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Hereís a axis doe i shot with a 7mag
Name:  IMG_2743.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  106.4 KB

DPElite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #41
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPElite View Post
Hereís a axis doe i shot with a 7mag
Attachment 987375

Dang, that neck roast would have been delicious

Old 01-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #42
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods101 View Post
dang, that neck roast would have been tender

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
fify
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #43
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Tracking skills are part of hunting. So tell little buddy who's in charge and make it part of the hunt. Dad's not always going to be there, and you don't want to raise a snowflake.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #44
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

My father in law shot a nice buck in the neck with his Contender (.223). Deer dropped but kept raising his head and trying to get up. He finished it off with his 30 06. He’s a fan of neck shots but I’m not
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #45
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
He refuses?? Hmm.
He's 12?? Hmm.
lol 'bout right.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #46
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

The neck makes the best tamales shoot em behind the shoulder
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #47
cpr1979
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche

High shoulder shot. I have the same sendero and use Remington corelok. Never a problem and minimal waste in one shoulder

cpr1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 08:53 PM   #48
Cody903
Six Point

Curious to What area on the deer specifically for the high shoulder shots are you guys referring to?
Cody903 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #49
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

Quote:

I shot a mule deer in the neck with a 7 mag that somehow didnít break a vertebrae or cut the jugular. Iím still not sure how he held his head up or covered any ground. He made it 300 yards down a canyon before I got to him.

Breaking the neck is critical- and isnít foolproof. If it goes bad- it isnít an easy track.

basschump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #50
coy-ote
Ten Point

What I mean by he wonít or refuses to see one run off with a shoulder shot he said dad I need more practice Iíve never missed and I wonít wound a deer. I know what he is capable of or id never let him shoot anything living . We started with a red Ryder,them moved up to an air rifle then .22 all on paper then small game. I have taught them to be ethical sportsman. Iím 56 years old and my 12 year is my oldest so he donít run squat, he wonít make a bad shot is what he means. Marksmanship is first in our book.