Got it done! Brand new bowhunter!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, what a weekend at the lease! I got off work at 6 on Friday and rushed home to pick up Reese. She already had a bed laid out on the back seat of the truck in preparation for the 3-hour drive to Christoval. We hit the road and got to camp around 10 after a few stops for food and groceries. She was evidently tired from a hard week of school and went straight to bed. I hung out with a camp buddy and went and pulled my trail camera cards. There was a new giant 8 pt. showing up that got my adrenalin pumping. I was hoping he would come out for Reese this weekend.

Reese has been hunting since she was 6 years old, she got her first deer with her crossbow, and has taken plenty of deer and pigs since then. We have been working on archery together and she’s gotten pretty good. She’s been building up her strength and is pulling 35lbs now. She’s been wanting to give bowhunting a shot, but I told he I wasn’t going to let her until she was shooting good consistent groups. She put her practice in and is doing well. She’s even been shooting after school by herself when I’ve had to work late. She will send me pictures of her groups bragging a little.

The plan for this weekend was for her to hunt with her rifle to try and get a buck down and then switch to her bow and see if she could get her first bow kill.

We headed to the blind Saturday morning and had deer on us before it got daylight. There were three 8pts that were up and comers and she was begging me to shoot one. I told her to wait, there were much bigger deer. She isn’t into the management thing at all. She wants to shoot! This is
    her face when I’m telling her she can’t shoot any of the three big 8’s in front of us.

Around 8 o’clock this big body 9 comes in but the sun was in her face and she couldn’t see through the scope. The sun was blinding. Luckily, he moved over to our right out of the sun light. She got a shot on him just before he disappeared behind some trees.

The shot

I didn’t like the looks of the shot, he seemed to hunch up a little and he disappeared behind the trees immediately after the shot. We decided to sit for a while longer and go back to camp and get our tracking dog Trigger.

Trigger took us to him immediately. He made it quite a way down into a bottom,about 125 yards or so, which was surprising because upon inspection the shot was perfect.

We did some celebrating and shared the news with family and friends.

Being 14 it’s time for her to start cleaning her own deer. We’ve been working on this the last few seasons but it’s finally time. She caped this thing for the taxidermist and cleaned it all herself. I helped her quarter it but that was it.

After getting a big buck down we decided it was time for her to give it a go with her bow. We took a nap mid-day and woke up in time for her to do some practicing with her bow. All in all, she was doing good, and I was confident if we kept her shot close, she could get it done. I was concerned with her only drawing 35lb so we decided it would have to be a doe and we would limit her shot to 15 yards.

When we got to the stand, I turned the spin time way down on the feeder and put some hand corn out at 10-15 yards. It wasn’t long and we had two yearlings come in. They milled around for about a half hour and then more deer came in but were stand offish. The feeder spun at 4:30 and more deer filtered in. Nothing was coming to my hand corn and were staying at the feeder about 22 yards out. Reese focused on a bid doe and told me she could make the shot. I explained to her that she hasn’t been shooting that far and that this was a live animal. It had to be perfect, or we couldn’t take the shot. She was worried that the mature doe wouldn’t’ get close enough. I told her to just be patient, when more deer come it, they will start fighting over the corn and push one another out onto the hand corn and she would get a shot.

Sure enough we had some bucks come in and claim the feeder, they pushed the does out and the big doe was about 15 yards out perfectly broadside. I told Reese to draw back slow. She did and I just filmed letting her do the rest. Thwack! She smashed that doe! The shot looked good, and I was pleased to see the arrow pass through and shish kabob her. We watched her run off and I though she may drop in sight, but she disappeared behind some oaks. I was confident in the shot and congratulated Reese on her first bow kill! Welcome to the other side baby girl!

The shot

We again went and got Trigger to do the tracking for us. It was an easy track and he let us right to her. I’m so proud of her, hard work pays off!

The recovery

She skinned this one again and was relieved to have gotten it all done on Saturday so she could sleep in tomorrow. These teenagers like their sleep! That was Ok because our doe quota got upped to 4 this year and I was ready to do some shooting myself.

I went to another stand on the other side of my area Saturday morning and got a nice doe.

I got to film the biggest deer I’ve ever passed with a bow also. It’s a deer we call Flames that we are going to hunt next year. Hope he blows up and get super big, one more year!

Reese is a brand new bowhunter! So proud of her!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bowhunterhelm; 11-22-2021, 09:52 AM.

What an awesome weekend! Making good memories!!

Comment

Great buck! Congrats to both of you.

Comment

Attagirl Reese! Way to get it done !....Congrats to her and Dad!!

Comment

Congrats to both of Y'all! Way to go!!

Comment

Great write up, and great pics. Doing it right, super congrats to Reese!

Comment

"Reese!! You are a bowhunter!" Moment full of awesome right there...!

That ol doe dang near jumped out of her skin .....she dropped incredibly at that distance but the arrow nailed the deadly V..

Last edited by Smart; 11-22-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Great stuff Jeremy.Congrats to you and Reese,Great Buck Reese

Comment

Awesome!!!!!

Great thread. Big congrats to her on the nice buck and the bow kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    "Reese!! You are a bowhunter!" Moment full of awesome right there...!

That ol doe dang near jumped out of her skin .....she dropped incredibly at that distance but the arrow nailed the deadly V..

You are absolutely right, she helped her out quite a bit with that dip!

Comment

Awesomeness! Congratulations

Comment

Great weekend for all. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                          You are absolutely right, she helped her out quite a bit with that dip!

She did fine...... That arrow is all the way through her in that capture and that doe drug it down some before youtube would let the video stop to take a capture. The end result was great!

Comment

Outstanding! Great job!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats big time Young Lady!

Comment

Working...
                              X