Starting a feed program East Texas HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a feed program East Texas HELP

So I am doing all I can to get my club to start a protein feeding program to help our deer. Of course I would love if this program produces larger bucks, but I also want to improve the health of our deer. currently I along with our Biologist believe we have too many deer, problem is because many members are not seeing a lot of deer (15 years ago it was nothing to see 20 deer in front of you at one time, we were way over populated so they think thats how it should be). We have 6,000 acres. How would you go about starting a club paid feed program that would be enough to make a difference? right now I feel we have enough excess money each year to feed about 20,000 lbs of protein a year from club funds. I want the club to start by gettting 6 feeders (1 per thousand acres) What I am hoping is individual members will then kick in and have protein feeders at their stands and cumulatively feed maybe another 10,000 lbs for a total of 30,000 pounds a year. I also plan to adress the deer population issue

What do some of yall that know way more than me suggest we do

I wish my Newton lease would start something like this. Good luck to you, I think I'm going to try feeding protein just to pull more bucks to my areas. What county are y'all if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

polk, angelina, tyler county corner, but we are in polk county

Comment

Couple thoughts I have, based on my own experience on our place in Houston County. The impact of protein didn't really become noticeable until year 5 of having it out from March-October. It is not a miracle cure by any means and takes commitment. Also, a protein feeder per 1000 acres is not a drop in the hat...it needs to be way, way more than that. My place is overkill, but I have 3 2,000lb protein free choice feeders on 250 acres, and I will be adding another one this year. I rarely have bucks that move from one feeder to the other during the "protein" season, but that allows everyone to eat plenty, including the does. Lastly, plan accordingly for pigs and coons. Fence them off right and plan to trap a zillion coons.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
          Couple thoughts I have, based on my own experience on our place in Houston County. The impact of protein didn't really become noticeable until year 5 of having it out from March-October. It is not a miracle cure by any means and takes commitment. Also, a protein feeder per 1000 acres is not a drop in the hat...it needs to be way, way more than that. My place is overkill, but I have 3 2,000lb protein free choice feeders on 250 acres, and I will be adding another one this year. I rarely have bucks that move from one feeder to the other during the "protein" season, but that allows everyone to eat plenty, including the does. Lastly, plan accordingly for pigs and coons. Fence them off right and plan to trap a zillion coons.
          Thank you so much My thoughts are if the club supplies 6 to begin with then members will feel they need to keep deer in their area so they will feed too, then it quickly becomes 1 feeder per 500 or even 1 per 200 acres really fast. I know I already have two going myself. Also we plan to put feed pens around each feeder and buy stock in dukes traps lol.

Comment

Make sure they are all close to water or add water to your pens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
              got that covered we are on the river. Our north border is the river the southern and eastern border is a major creek and we have sloughs all over. Thats actually the problem we have too much water and flood at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post

got that covered we are on the river. Our north border is the river the southern and eastern border is a major creek and we have sloughs all over. Thats actually the problem we have too much water and flood at times.
                We have the same problem (flooded protein is one of the worst smells that doesn't involve something living). That said pay attention to your spout heights and locations. We have two protein feeders 600 yards apart (across a creek from each other). One of them gets hammered and the other didn't this year. So we are moving the big feeder across the creek to where the deer seem to like it better. Also lowering the spout height some to make it more accessible to does.

We hammered the raccoons last year, now we have a million baby raccoons. I'm not going to fight them this year, if you get the ASF stand and fills its much harder for them to park on the spout and eat all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                  I don't understand this please explain

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

In order to digest the protein to the lower intestine clean water is essential.

Comment

Food plots tend to produce more than protein feeders, for cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        Food plots tend to produce more than protein feeders, for cheaper.
                        But what's hardy enough to plant on the roads. It's hard to find enough openings on my leases for much of a food plot

Comment

Working...
                        X