New Table Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Table Top

Wife bought a decorative table off of Facebook that didn’t hold up well at all. Our starting point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it...

Comment

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Plan was to buy some oak but in the back corner of the workshop I had some redwood salvaged from my grandparents picnic table from when I was a kid. Assume it was new 45+ years ago at this point. Be nice to see it when I have coffee outside. Many fond memories around that table.

Trash or treasure?

Looks better on the side that went through the drum sander

I attempted to fill the backside of the holes with hot glue. Epoxy fill from the top. Added just a bit of copper pigment hopefully it won’t be super noticeable. Wife didn’t want a contrast like white or turquoise.

Sprung a small leak will add more tomorrow.

Comment

Nice start, will be following, good luck.

Comment

Epoxy soaked in more than I hoped but about as much as I expected. Added another coat. Some of you have asked how the export is to work with. It’s easy. I add a dash more hardener which seems to help. You can also tell I’m messy with it- it works down so easy with a sander I don’t see the need to be more precise. Takes longer to build hot glue dams or prep than to rough sand it. Wife loves the color, I would like more contrast.

Comment

Thats absolutely treasure! I love making use of something again, especially if it has some family history! I've got some cedar from my grandmothers cedarchest that I'm going to do something special with eventually. It was submerged in 4 feet of water during Harvey and fell completely apart. So far all I've done is turned a few pens with scraps from it for the folks that helped us.

I just tried my first bit of epoxy last week. I did spots on several pieces and most soaked in a lot! I'm going to have to research some more. It was easy to do and the area that didn't soak thru looks great!

I cant wait to see how the table turns out!

Comment

Thanks Doug. Glad to hear you saved the cedar. I have a helical head 12ish” delta planer and a drum sander that can do up to 44” wide. You know where I’m at now just holler if you want to use either to clean it up.

Comment

Working...
                X