Calling Yotes .... help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Yotes .... help please

We need to start shooting some of the coyotes on our lease.

We bought an electric caller, but need to know which call works the best for you all when your calling yotes.

Good luck. We have a lot of ‘yotes but extremely nocturnal.

I prefer injured cottontail.

BP

Comment

I’ve got a Fox Pro I’ve tried but no luck. Tried baby cottontail mostly
      Now on my new place I’ve got chickens & have seen yotes on camera
      They are very nocturnal from what I can tell on camera
      Decided to get me an ATN night vision scope to have a little fun

Comment

We are going to get after them starting in January. Never seen such healthy coyotes - which may be the reason we see so few fawns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pup distress

Comment

Need to match the time of year, pup distress in March, fawn distress in late may..

I’ve always had good luck with woodpecker and blue jay distress calls in the winter

Comment

I have always had great luck with the Yellow headed woodpecker mouth call. (It's old) but the fox pro calls are usually pretty good as well.

Comment

Thermal drone is hard to beat in any situation

Comment

Different calls are useful at different times and on different yotes. I usually start out with a cottontail or jack rabbit call. It has been my experience that most of the time if a yote comes he’ll be there in a few minutes, but enough of them will come in late to make it worthwhile to call for 30 minutes or so. Start out with low volume, sometimes they will be very close and they can hear better than us. Change up your calls, don’t be afraid to call for three or four minutes, then go silent, then start back up. No matter whart sounds I use I always end with the coyote pup distress call. It has worked for me more than once when nothing else did.

Be sure the wind is in your favor and have everything set before you start the calling. When I first started calling yotes I had two in my lap and wasn’t ready. I killed both but the first one stopped at about fifty yards and gave me a shot. On the other one all I could see was hair in the scope but it took him throgh the shoulders. I started with a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 but soon bought a Savage 22-250. Great gun, no holdover for up to about 300 yards if you zeroed a little high at 100, but I eventually transitioned to an AR because a quick second or third shot is invaluable in East Texas where it can be brushy and shot distances aren’t usually that far.

Have fun and learn from your mistakes.
                  Last edited by Drycreek3189; 11-27-2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Have had very good luck with racoons fighting, wounded racoons, etc... from my FoxPro.

Mostly from a deer stand and put the caller within 50 yards of the corn feeder. Seems to be a great point they all congregate, right? Many times I put out the caller out while walking into the stand in the morning. When the morning deer hunt was over i would play a set from the remote and often scored, even worked to run deer off before I climbed down. My boys found it very entertaining when they were kids.

Comment

I’ve had a foxpro several years but never really used it, want to change that this year with all of the coyotes we have been seeing on camera. I was thinking placing it about as far upwind of me as the remote will reach and hope they come in between me and the call? I also thought about putting a mojo dove right on the ground to give them something to look at. Thoughts?

Comment

Start quiet with cottontail or woodpecker. Set up well hidden and pay attention to the wind. When they come trotting in, they will stop for half a second when they figure out some thing is up, and that’s when you shoot them. Make that first shot count, bc they have afterburner speed. Morning at first light is as good as any, don’t worry if you only see them on camera at night.

Comment

I usually use the distressed cottontail, then mix in some coyote barks, yelps, etc.

Comment

Lightning jack produced for me

Start low and gradually increase the volume.

Take the time to read through this thread

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Lightning jack produced for me

Start low and gradually increase the volume.

Take the time to read through this thread
                              https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...alling+coyotes
                              I looked for 10 minutes and couldn’t find it. Everything ^^^ you need right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X