How much should I tip guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
    Do you guys think that 10-15% goes across the board, so if you go pay $10,000 to kill a deer, are you expected to tip that same 10-15%? Never done it, but I am now curious.
    Tipping by percentage has always been an interesting premise to me. I can take the wife to a reasonably nice restaurant and easily spend over $100 on two meals. I can also take her to a hole in the wall mexican restaurant down the street and we can eat for less than $20 combined. In my general experience the servers at cheaper restaurants are working just as hard as those in expensive restaurants. That said, it's not uncommon for me to tip 50% or more at a cheap restaurant, whereas I might tip 10-15% at a more expensive restaurant. To me it's more about the work the person does that the cost of the food they bring you. I guess it would be the same for a deer, although like someone else said, if they're willing to pay $10K for a deer they probably can afford to throw an obscenely big tip in on top of it. But on one hunt you could have a guide work his butt off for multiple days to help you find your $2500 buck, and on another you could have a guide drop you off at the stand at the pen where your $10,000 buck is eating at the feeder. In those scenarios, should the first guide get $375 and the second guide get $1500 simply because of the price of the deer?
    Last edited by bullets13; 10-14-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Do you guys think that 10-15% goes across the board, so if you go pay $10,000 to kill a deer, are you expected to tip that same 10-15%? Never done it, but I am now curious.
      Yes, 10-15% no matter the cost

Comment

I usually do a straight $300 on regular hunts. Ive asked about elk hunts before and the guides told me 10-15% but the hunters told me $1000 max. Fishing trips I do 20%.

Comment

I've had a couple of hunts around $2500-3000 and tipped about $300 each time. I thought that was the norm for a hunt in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Yes, 10-15% no matter the cost
            This is crazy to me... I've got NOTHING against HF hunting at all, but why would I tip a guy $1000-1500 for driving me to a blind and telling me which one I'm allowed to shoot. It would be one thing on an elk hunt or something like that, but that seems outrageous for some of the whitetail HF hunts. Only reason I was asking is assuming I some day get invited on a hunt like this.. lol turns out I can't even afford the tip!

Comment

This is crazy to me... I've got NOTHING against HF hunting at all, but why would I tip a guy $1000-1500 for driving me to a blind and telling me which one I'm allowed to shoot. It would be one thing on an elk hunt or something like that, but that seems outrageous for some of the whitetail HF hunts. Only reason I was asking is assuming I some day get invited on a hunt like this.. lol turns out I can't even afford the tip!
              I understand what your saying, 10-15% is proper but some tip nothing and you wouldn’t believe how many tip zilch, so if you decided to tip 300 bucks on a 10,000 dollar deer it probably wouldn’t be frowned upon and still appreciated.

Comment

First off I'll say I'm a tight wad and I tip on performance, so somewhere between $0.00 - $300.00.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  10-15%.
                  I always look at 10% as a starting point. If the guide works his rear off for you and makes the trip a very enjoyable and you feel they went above and beyond, then I will tip up to 20%.

I always tip the skinner, the cook, the cleaning person and any lower lever behind the scene people. They make your stay comfortable and generally go unnoticed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll tip 10-15% depending on the hunt.

Comment

This is crazy to me... I've got NOTHING against HF hunting at all, but why would I tip a guy $1000-1500 for driving me to a blind and telling me which one I'm allowed to shoot.
                      Think about a fishing guide that will bust their tail for 4+ hours for $100-150.

Disclosure: I also have nothing against HF hunting and enjoy these ranches.

Comment

1 or 2 Stic knifes. I’m joking,I’m in line with the 300 - 250$ .

Comment

10 % unless she is really hot.

Comment

We did a guided elk hunt this year for the first time. It was an expensive hunt. We tipped the guides 12% as they had to work their butts off in very rough country. Seems like 10% across the board is the norm.

Comment

Working...
                            X