Deep East Tx Deer Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep East Tx Deer Numbers

A few years ago I started a thread addressing what seems to be an issue within the immediate area around my land in Polk County. It seems the overall number of deer has declined and I’m scratching my head to see if I’m the only one in the county or surrounding areas that is observing this phenomenon.

Old thread was https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...umbers+east+tx

I’m am not inquiring about bucks or antlers quality. I’m talking about overall numbers … the reality is despite my area numbers seemingly being down, the antler quality and the buck opportunities going into this fall are exciting. That being said I can’t remember the last time I actually saw a deer on my land that wasn’t on a game camera. And places where it was not uncommon to see a deer in and around the area are pretty barren at the moment. It’s perplexing I have over 200 acres, habitat is excellent, one part of it borders for Carter Pasture (lots of land), overall good neighbors and the hog situation is not too bad now (was a few years ago).

Curious to see what folks are seeing on game cameras and live sightings in and around Polk County. Most my cards show young bucks and a few lookers, but overall it just seems light - especially does.

Lay it on me TBH east tx hunters. What are you seeing?

I hunt north of the Sandy Creek store in Onalaska. I’m very content with my overall deer numbers and buck to doe ratio. I hunt 2 stands. At one I expect to see about 10 does and 3 or 4 bucks per sit. At the other I expect to see 10 bucks and 10 does per sit.

Comment

IMO the MLD program destroyed deer numbers in East Texas. 60-100 does tags per year, year in year out really did a number.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
        IMO the MLD program destroyed deer numbers in East Texas. 60-100 does tags per year, year in year out really did a number.
        I will let the cat out of the bag… this is my overall hypothesis. However it’s not just MLD. everybody gets two does and this has been consistent for over 15 years. So MLD or not it’s pretty liberal in regards to the number of does that could be harvested. However that there are people in the same county that will swear up-and-down that they have great numbers it just doesn’t make sense.

Comment

The place I hunt near Groveton has been MLD for years. There is no shortage of deer. And dang sure ain’t no shortage of hogs !

Comment

Had a place a little place outside Madisonville till 2018. First year you could have hunted from a tree with a brick there were so many deer. Next year the woods cracked with 30 cal fire and the years following very few deer. Like a couple does on the feeder maybe. We found out later poachers had set up shop on a neighboring property and decimated the population for years to come. A few bad apples can destroy a lot of deer quick.

Comment

Our numbers have been going down on one place every year drastically with just a couple of deer shot. We really were not sure why bc the place was big so it wasn’t neighbors. Varmit population was below average I would say. Polk county place
              Buck numbers way down on our other place and doe numbers are the same. Neighbors on paper company lease are slaying all our bucks.Trinity county by Polk county line.

Comment

MLD here…its the best…we see a ton of antlered bucks and the rut is a real thing.

Get the doe population reigned in and a healthier herd will emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                  Had a place a little place outside Madisonville till 2018. First year you could have hunted from a tree with a brick there were so many deer. Next year the woods cracked with 30 cal fire and the years following very few deer. Like a couple does on the feeder maybe. We found out later poachers had set up shop on a neighboring property and decimated the population for years to come. A few bad apples can destroy a lot of deer quick.
                  That’s my other fear is that there is a bad apple that I am just not to aware about in the area. I don’t think that’s the case however I know my neighbors and they’re all pretty big tracts land And there doesn’t seem to be any stupidness that’s going on.

Comment

dont overlook the fact that deer, like people have preferences for certain areas, to feed and live in,,,,, across the street from me it is common to see as many as 20 deer at a time,, in my wooded land across the street i see 8-10 a year,,, almost nothing but does and fawns on my place,, just an occasional buck now,,,, 10 years ago when i moved here i had 21 different shooter bucks showing up on my little place, mostly at night but they were here,,, but my then next door neighbor was pretty much kill anything all the time,,, so now i will sometimes get 1 mature buck on camera a year and usually one once or twice,,,
                    plant some food plots and stay away from them

Comment

I had a similar problem in Freestone County.

The first year I owned the place, there was deer everywhere.

Then the neighbors started really pressuring the properties around me.

Not even killing lots of deer, just moving around another on their properties, and these weren't small properties.

It had a huge impact on the number of deer I saw on my place.

I think human activity is most often the culprit.

The deer numbers didn't really decline. They just changed their moving habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                        MLD here…its the best…we see a ton of antlered bucks and the rut is a real thing.

Get the doe population reigned in and a healthier herd will emerge.
                        I think this is what legacy east Texas hunters are experiencing. They are used to seeing a load of does and maybe a buck per season. Antler restrictions have really helped in balancing the herd for the better as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          That’s my other fear is that there is a bad apple that I am just not to aware about in the area. I don’t think that’s the case however I know my neighbors and they’re all pretty big tracts land And there doesn’t seem to be any stupidness that’s going on.
                          I feed year round and I’m sure that makes a difference in the population. Feed, keep em on your place and watch the numbers go up.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                            dont overlook the fact that deer, like people have preferences for certain areas, to feed and live in,,,,, across the street from me it is common to see as many as 20 deer at a time,, in my wooded land across the street i see 8-10 a year,,, almost nothing but does and fawns on my place,, just an occasional buck now,,,, 10 years ago when i moved here i had 21 different shooter bucks showing up on my little place, mostly at night but they were here,,, but my then next door neighbor was pretty much kill anything all the time,,, so now i will sometimes get 1 mature buck on camera a year and usually one once or twice,,,
                            plant some food plots and stay away from them

There is a really good YouTube video about this but I can't remember the name.

It basically says that bucks and does won't share land outside of the rut.

Does will establish family units withe does and fawns. Bucks won't share and move out.

We always try to create habitat that is perfect for growing deer which is perfect for raising fawns.

We don't often create habitat that is good just for bucks.

Buck habitat is a single very tight cover source with plenty of food near by.

Does need lots of cover and places to hide fawns with lots of food.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              I think this is what legacy east Texas hunters are experiencing. They are used to seeing a load of does and maybe a buck per season. Antler restrictions have really helped in balancing the herd for the better as well.
                              That is exactly what I am seeing at my place although I am not MLD. Last year A family guest took a fine 10 pointer and I bunked up a bow shot on a very fine 8. That being said i’m not sure that’s really good or not. It’s nice to know you have a chance seeing a good buck, but it’s tough sitting in a stand without seeing anything and watching your ungrazed oats grow. It would be nice to see a deer in one’s Hayfield in the off-season now and again as well…but yeah we have a healthy deer herd.

Comment

Working...
                              X