Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Joe Offset Smoker wheels....

Hey y'all,
    Right now, My OK Joe's Smoker has Metal wheels and it's a PAIN to move it, specially on grass and un-even surfaces.

Has anyone welded or attached real wheels with Rubber tires (Not for pulling behind a truck) to their smoker to make it easier to move around by hand?

I need some ideas on what to build/weld (weld / bolt to the existing or build a small platform) to then attach tires to.... any pictures, links or descriptions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ATI; 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM.

This is what I have...

Last edited by ATI; 01-16-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I had a similar sized pit built years ago and I used rubber wheels for a dolly. They work great and still function to this date.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
        I had a similar sized pit built years ago and I used rubber wheels for a dolly. They work great and still function to this date.
        I see!
        you just took the wheel pins off and switched with dolly rubber wheels? I wonder if the rods on the smoker are long enough!!!
        Last edited by ATI; 01-16-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Grab a couple hard 10” rubber tires at harbor freight. They are decent and last a good while. I believe they have a 5/8 arbor.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
            Grab a couple hard 10” rubber tires at harbor freight. They are decent and last a good while. I believe they have a 5/8 arbor.
            Any certain weight limit wheels?

If the rod is not long enough or too thick for HF wheels, do you think welding an extension will carry the weight?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
              Any certain weight limit wheels?

If the rod is not long enough or too thick for HF wheels, do you think welding an extension will carry the weight?
              That is why I chose the dolly wheels because they were rated for heavy weight. Just check your arbor size on your current wheels and choose a new wheel that is the same sized arbor. The widths are real close and they should work with your current rod.

Comment

Look into riding lawnmower wheels. The wider tire will give you more surface area helping you move it around easier.

Comment

A few things I have learned:
                  1) don't get the inflatable tires, they will go flat on you
                  2) be careful on the heat you are making in the firebox, and be careful not to melt your wheels

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    A few things I have learned:
                    1) don't get the inflatable tires, they will go flat on you
                    2) be careful on the heat you are making in the firebox, and be careful not to melt your wheels

Just my 2 cents
                    Yes, I agree,
                    1. I was planning on getting flat free tires.
                    2. I don't think the heat will affect the tires if I get 8 inch tires (I think that's the size wheels it has now) I'll double check.

Comment

You better make sure the flat free tires are within the weight limits because I have seen them flatspot sitting in place with a lot of wait on them. Then they are just clunky wagon wheels. I went with steel on my custom build after reading about the issues with inflatable and flat free tires with big weight ..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        You better make sure the flat free tires are within the weight limits because I have seen them flatspot sitting in place with a lot of wait on them. Then they are just clunky wagon wheels. I went with steel on my custom build after reading about the issues with inflatable and flat free tires with big weight ..
                        Didn't think about that... I'll try to find some high weight flat free tires.
                        So, how are your steel wheels different or better than what I have? is your smoker easy to move by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                          Yes, I agree,
                          1. I was planning on getting flat free tires.
                          2. I don't think the heat will affect the tires if I get 8 inch tires (I think that's the size wheels it has now) I'll double check.
                          Don’t get rubber tires they will catch on fire
                          I would take a picture of how I know but it raining here
                          Repeat do not put rubber or plastic tires or wheels on your smoker
                          Repeat fire and rubber or plastic don’t mix

Remember they put steel wheels on for a reason!!

Comment

I see the prolim, you have a whole cord of wood ridin on dat thing. It'll be much easier to move without dat on der. When you need wood, just send your old lady to fetch more. Works for me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Yours isn’t that heavy btw. [emoji1783]

Comment

Working...
                              X