Is the 280 Remington Dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 280 Remington Dying?

For years I felt it may be the best of the 30-06 based cases. Shoots plenty flat, great selection of bullets in a wide range of weights. Since Nosler standardized the 280 AI, I don't know the last time I heard someone talking about a standard 280 Rem or saw a rifle chambered in it. I know there's a ton of 280s out there and Midway lists 17 factory ammo choices but 10 of them are out of stock.

I had an A-bolt chambered in 280, shot lights out. Sent that A-bolt to a smith and had him ream it to 280 AI using the old "wildcat" reamer. Now she's something completely different in a good way. Not sure why anyone would go 280 Rem over 280 AI. I assume as the old stock of 280 Rem rifles go away, so will the 280 Remington.

I have a rem 700 BDL 280 ( marked 7mm express ) don't know what year they stoped calling that but I like mine and wouldnt change it or get rid of it . even have several boxes of corelockes marked 7mm express.

Comment

280ai took over for the standard 280, but I’d guess the 7mag outsells then all?

Comment

I have a Rem a Rem CDL SF in .280.
        Great round just prefer my tikka and sako rifles better.
        I do like the round though.

Comment

I’m a fan. No real hard reason other than it was my first deer rifle that I took a real liking to.
          At the time having something other than the overly common .270 was just cool to me. That said, it’s a whitetail killing fool. Wouldn’t change it for the world, and about to start actually reloading for it to see what it’ll really do.

Maybe if they tack the name “Creedmoor” behind the 280 it’ll start selling off the shelves. ��

Comment

280 a great round, but its in a Pile of 7mm stuff...Lots of great stuff in that .284 area and then 270 is next door measuring .277....If you like me 280 its the best cause I dont do belted anything.(Just me no specific reason) .and brass will be around for eternity for 280 due to 30-06 relationship..
            Never done anything AI but always thought of it as a good way to get a little more UMP..And I don't choot any Game that requires such power or range

Comment

I have a T/C Encore 280. It was my sons rifile that I inherited and been shooting it for several years and love it. Very accurate and the trigger job he did on it is nice. It’s my go to when I’m not bow hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
                I have a rem 700 BDL 280 ( marked 7mm express ) don't know what year they stoped calling that but I like mine and wouldnt change it or get rid of it . even have several boxes of corelockes marked 7mm express.
                Remington screwed this one up by naming it 7mm Express when the good ole USA was avoiding everything metric like the plague. By the time they renamed it 280 Remington the 270 was firmly entrenched.

Comment

If I owned a 280 I would have it cut for a Ackley shoulder without hesitation..

Comment

We are building my dad a 280 Remington with a 22" Carbon six sendero contour barrel. The only reason I did not Ackley it was he wanted a gun that was easy to manipulate out of stand windows and something light to carry. I figured the AI version would not provide the significant gains in a 22" tube, and the standard 280 Rem is about 10-15 dollars cheaper than the AI for premium ammo.

Comment

Too close to the far more popular 270?

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
                        They didn't make many of the 7 MM Express. You have one and I have the other.

Comment

Unfortunately the 280 Remington has pretty much gone off and nearly died almost a tracking dog needed kinda thing I believe the only thing keeping it around is the 280 AI. The 280 is a great round arguably the best one the 06 grandfathered but you can make it just a little better with just a few minutes at your local gunsmith. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                            They didn't make many of the 7 MM Express. You have one and I have the other.
                            My brother just bought one "new in the box" never fired. Model 700 BDL.. 7mm Express..
                            The Bolt has never even been put in it.. I actually picked it up for him along with some guns a bought.. 1977 year model if I remember correctly.. And I had first shot at it.... DANGIT I messed up.. I just didn't need another 7mm in anything!!!

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                              We are building my dad a 280 Remington with a 22" Carbon six sendero contour barrel. The only reason I did not Ackley it was he wanted a gun that was easy to manipulate out of stand windows and something light to carry. I figured the AI version would not provide the significant gains in a 22" tube, and the standard 280 Rem is about 10-15 dollars cheaper than the AI for premium ammo.

I was reading somewhere that you can use regular ammo in the AI and it shoots fine just ends up with a fire formed brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X