Help me pick a new deer rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a new deer rifle.

This will be a new rifle for myself. Wanting something pretty light weight <8.5lbs bare gun. Leaning towards 6.5cm. Simply because I am very familiar with this caliber due to my PRS Setup. And would prefer synthetic stock.

Guns I’ve looked at:

Bergara B-14 Hunter 22” Barrel
    Bergara B-14 Ridge SP 18” Barrel
    Browning Hells Canyon Speed
    Tikka CTR

No Savage, Mossberg, Winchester.

Any comments on any of these or anything else I should look into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What distances do you anticipate hunting, and will it be from a box stand? If the distance isn't terribly long, I would go with the short Bergara. Mainly because of the compatibility with Remington accessories such as stocks, but also because long barrels tend to get in the way inside box blinds. Any of those are good shooters though.
    Good luck with your decision!

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
      What distances do you anticipate hunting, and will it be from a box stand? If the distance isn't terribly long, I would go with the short Bergara. Mainly because of the compatibility with Remington accessories such as stocks, but also because long barrels tend to get in the way inside box blinds. Any of those are good shooters though.
      Good luck with your decision!

Thanks! Probably should have included that. Most shots will be 200yards or less in box stands.

But once a year I usually go to west Texas hunting and have 400-500 yard shots available. (Mainly pigs). Out of some tower blinds

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
        Thanks! Probably should have included that. Most shots will be 200yards or less in box stands.

But once a year I usually go to west Texas hunting and have 400-500 yard shots available. (Mainly pigs). Out of some tower blinds

18" is plenty for those distances. I would go short. Never know you might suppress one day as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

The Tikka in a 7mm-08.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

New bergara are out. Worth the wait.

Comment

I know that this may not be what you are wanting, but if you can find a .303 British, then look no further!

Comment

Any rifle will make those shots. Mossberg patriot for $250 will get it done

Comment

I’m no help on the browning but the bergara and tikka are both awesome guns. Weatherby makes a few nice ones as well but for the money I’d stay with tikka or bergara.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                    New bergara are out. Worth the wait.
                    The new Bergaras really just felt like a relaunch of their old guns. With just a painted stock, cerakote, and an omni brake for them.. Wasn't too impressed by this years line up. And yes I already own 4 different Bergaras.

Comment

Browning Hells Canyon in 270 WSM

Comment

Christensen Arms Mesa on 7mm-08 or 6.5 PRC.
                        All my two hunting rifles are Tikka T3 a 270WSM and 7mm-08.
                        My next rifle will probably be a Christensen Arms on 6.5 PRC or 7mm Rem.

Comment

Browning X-bolt Max? they look like a lot of rifle for the money

Comment

270 Win. has worked for many for decades. I guess it’s not cool to say out loud though

Comment

Why no savage? The new 6LB 110 ultra lite looks like a sweet shooter with that proof barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X