First Point Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Point Reports

Anyone been this year? How did you do? What did you see? Thanks.

Anybody......

Comment

I just got back from there with rebel_bowhunter.

A couple of groups that left just as we were arriving on Sunday said that they didn't see much of any deer moving, especially in the mornings.

During the time that we were there, two people saw trophies. One never got more than a look as it was passing and the other actually drew on a big one but didn't get the shot off.

I saw a few different bucks with the biggest being a 2.5 year old (I think) 8 point. He had G2's about 8" long and a rack about 15" wide. I watched him in my corn for about 30 minutes or so. That buck sure had a fat gut for a 2 year old but he didn't have a lot of mass. The base of his horns just weren't there but I still think he may have been a legal shooter for First Point but he obviously was no trophy.

Strangely, I never got any does into my shooting lanes. This being the first year that allows does to be killed and I think Mike said that 30 had been taken so far. He wanted a lot more killed and opened it up to us. Unfortunately, that was not to happen.

One lone doe came in but she busted me. I had a small opening in my blind that I covered up right after that. No other deer busted me that I saw. I had two does coming into my corn the second day but a 6 point chased them off.

It looks like the rut is starting up, I guess on schedule for that area. We started finding ground scrapes and had bucks grunting and chasing does. The deer seemed to be moving a lot more for everyone the on Tuesday and Wednesday this week so hopefully it will pick up quickly.

The place sure is green. The deer really seemed to be moving a lot during the very early afternoon after the morning hunt.

Comment

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Thanks for the report, we are headed down on Saturday (12-19-09) and hunt through Wednesday (12-23-09). Hopefully the rut will be in full swing by then. I can't wait!!!

Comment

Gary is down there now and I am getting updates.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
              Gary is down there now and I am getting updates.
              It looked very promising about the time I left. Conditions seemed to have changed while I was there. I wish I could have stayed a few more days.

Comment

I know Gary told me Ed a buddy of Mikes shot at a 160" ten Saturday evening. The deer movement must have picked up because Mike also went hunting Sunday morning and Mike doesn't get up for morning hunts.

Comment

This deer was taken October around the 19th out of pasture 11
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	First Point.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	23910579

Comment

Thanks. Headed that way next week.

Comment

Thanks, headed there 2nd weekend in Jan. First try at a day lease. Hopefully things are good.

Comment

Headed there tomorrow thru Wednesday, I wish the cold front would drop the temperatures down a little more. I'm more than ready to spend sometime in the woods.

Comment

Good luck Rod. Give us an update when you get back.

Comment

Will do, I can't sleep with the anticipation of tomorrow. Wait, I mean today. Were leaving at 6:00 am.

Comment

Rod, see you there. Can't wait!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X