No announcement yet.

MesquiteCountry's Recipe thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good stuff man....I'm going to try to whip some of that up. I share the same passion for cooking food. I myslef wanted to be a chef but "El Jefe" put a Masters requirement before Chef school.... too much schooling for me, but still love to cook! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Mesquite Country's Melt in your mouth Wild Pork Shoulder

Ingredients:
      1 Front Pork Leg
      2/3 Cup Molasses
      1 Cup Whole Grain Mustard
      1/4 Cup Chile Pequin Vinegar
      1/4 Cup Bourbon Whiskey (Makers Mark)
      Seasoning Salt (I prefer Earl Campbell Season All)
      Aluminum Foil

First fire up your pit. I dont use a thermometer generally. I use the 5 second hand rule. (See Explanation Below)

Next up season up your shoulder very generously with your season all. You dont want it caked on but you want a fair amount. Some people will brine overnight in this recipe but I want the pork flavors in their entirety and you want the natural gameyness brought out. Brining will dillute a few of those flavors.

Place the shoulder on the pit for approximatley 4 hours. I flip mine every hour. If I forget I just do it at 2 hours.

Mix up the molasses/vinegar/bourbon and mustard and set it aside.

At four hours pull the shoulder off and place it on the foil. Make a lip in the foil around all the edges to keep all of the mixture in. Pour the mixture over the entire shoulder and finish covering it in foil. Make sure you wrap 3 or 4 layers to keep it from leaking or tearing. You dont want the juices to escape! Return it back to the pit and continue to cook. I'll check the heat one last time with tow hours to go and throw on a few coals but I do not add coals past the 6th hour of cooking.

At 8 hours poke it to feel if it feels soft to the poke. If it's generally soft it's ready. Pull it off the pit and let it set for about 15 minutes before opening.

Next peel back the foil and it should all fall out meat and bones in one heap!

Great Great camp food!

5 Second Hand Rule
      If you can keep your hand on the pit for exactly 5 seconds in front of where you are cooking you have the right temperature.

If you can keep it on there a considerable amount of time longer add more wood/coals.

If you can only keep it on there for 1-3 seconds you're to hot. You need to open up your pit doors and starve your fire for about a minute.

Keep your coals going slow and steady. Dont worry about changing it all the time just check it with your hand.

Comment

Hey MC,

You have any thing else for seafood?

Comment

Anything you like.

What are you looking for.

Shrimp/fish/bivalves????

Comment

Shrimp, fish and scallops. Looking to try some new recipes out on those three. I eat seafood three times a week at least and am always looking for some new to try.

Comment

Scallop recipe a couple of posts up. I'll concoct another.

Do you ever do fish or shrimp tacos???

Saute the fish or shrimp with a garlic pepper seasoning.

Make a cilantro mayo.
              Chop up about 4 sprigs of cilantro as fine as you can get it and stir it into some sour cream.

Place the fish on a warm tortilla, smear on a little of the sour cream, squirt about a 1/4 of a lime over it and top with shredded red cabbage. Serve with whole black beans with a little queso fresco.

I have a crawfish cream sauce that you could use shrimp instead for sauteed fish a little higher up as well.

After being in Mexico I've really gotten back to simplistic cooking. Protein, fresh herbs and vegetables (like pico) a little acid from lime juice and cilantro with a little fresh cheese.

Chile Relleno with Seafood

Roast a Poblano and take off all of the blackened crust. Cut a slit and place some raw shrimp or fish that's cubed up on the inside. Fill it till it's over flowing with fresh pico. Then top it off with Queso Fresco or Montterey Jack cheese and place it in a 375 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes when the cheese is a beautiful golden brown. Pull it out and let it rest for 5 minutes covered with foil to let the seafood finish cooking and let it cool enough to eat. Good stuff.
              Last edited by mesquitecountry; 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

a deep fried shrimp burrito would be good as well. Spoonfull of refried black beans some cubed up fish or shrimp and some queso fresco wrapped in a tortilla then deep fried and served with fresh guacamole and sour cream would be on the money!

Comment

do you have a good chicken and dumplings receipe?

Comment

Chicken and dumplings is easy.

1 whole Chicken

Boil it in water.

Add some salt and pepper.

Remove chicken when cooked.

Shred chicken off the bone and return to pot.

Add about 2 teaspoons of flour to water.

Take 2 cups of flour and 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of black pepper and sprinkle in. Add water a 1/4 cup at a time until the batter is a very dense sticky mass.

Pinch off golf ball size pieces and drop them in the pot until you have enough to fill the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt as desired!

That's it!

It's simple and taste good. You can also add some chopped celery and onion at the beginning if you so choose.

You can also spice it up with Jalapenos or Red pepper flakes in the dough.

Comment

Thanks, we'll give it a shot!

Comment

going to try it out thanks MC.

Comment

Grilled Quail

20 Quail Butterflied open cut up the back.
                          Salt and Pepper to season

Sop
                          1/2 Pound Unsalted Butter
                          6 Lemons
                          6 Cloves Garlic Crushed
                          Pinch of Salt
                          8 Whole Black Pepper Corns
                          1 Teaspoon Honey

First off you have to Clarify the butter. To do this drop 1/2 pound butter into a small stock pot. The smaller the better. Place on medium-medium high heat until foam stops and solids fall to the bottom and brown. Once you see brown in the bottom of the pan stop! This will take about 10 minutes and is a crucial step. Not hard but crucial. Strain off the liquid and rinse all of the brown burnt on solids off and return the liquid to the pot. You now have clarified butter.

Place it back on the burner on low! Next add in the juice of the lemons, garlic, salt, black pepper and honey. Stir every minute or two.

Next season up your quail. A little salt and pepper will do fine. Take them to the grill and place them on low heat breast side down. Leave them like that for about 2 minutes. Come back then flip them all over and give them a good douse of sauce with a paint brush (that you havent used to paint yet!).

I leave them bones down for the rest of the time brushing them every couple of minutes. Cook them to 165 and you're done! Dont overcook or they will dry out!

They came out great and were a huge hit at the house!

Comment

Good stuff, Travis.

Ever found your grandpa's jerky recipe?
                            Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Hey MC...got anything for 1st degree burns on the hand?

Comment

LOL Chew! As a matter of fact!

Good stuff, Travis.

Ever found your grandpa's jerky recipe?
                                Devin,

No but my father in laws is pretty dang good. I'll call him tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X