VX6HD vs Z5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VX6HD vs Z5

I am unable to make a decision between the three. It will go on APR build 20'' 7mm08 . I have it narrowed down to the vx6hd 3-18x50 firedot , the z5 3.5-18x44 BT or the z5 5-25x50 BT . I like the idea of lighted reticle but the z6 is out of the budget. I don't plan on shooting distance but extra mag(5-25) is appealing to me. I can use all the magnification I cant get past 100 yards. The price is close enough not to be an issue on the three. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Mike

If you are not shooting distance say under 500 I would look at the Z5 I have two and a Z3 the Z5’s have the BRH reticle and the Z3 has the older TDS using the Swarovski app at known distance I have been pretty impressed took the Z5 and a7mm-08 out to 500 was impressed by how accurate the app was I picked up a 25-06 from a member put the Z3 on it bore sighted it and took two shots at a hundred next two shots were on the 300 yard gong again surprised by what the told app me and what the field showed me

Comment

I have two of the VX6 in 3-18x44 firedot (just don't need the 50 objective, looks better & mounts a little lower...jmo) and absolutely love this glass.

I did however move one of them to a swift off my 280AI & replaced it with a clean used VX6 4-24x52 (has a 34mm tube) & you are correct about having the extra muscle!!

Comment

Thank you both for the input. I may throw a z6 in the mix now. I really like the illuminated reticle but a few have told me they never use it. None of my current scopes have it . I have a vx3 and 14x just isn’t enough for me that’s why I am going with 18x at a min on the high end.

Comment

As much as I love the high end Leupolds Swarovski glass is still superior.

I have a Z5 5-25 and a VX6HD 4-24 and while they are close the Swaro has the edge in clarity, sharpness and low light performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have both scopes (VX6HD and Swaro Z5 5-25BT). The glass is great on both, edge to Swaro overall.

BUT- the distance you want to shoot will be the biggest factor here. The turret on the Swaros is only good for 1 rev, equal to about 13 MOA of adjustment. With a 7-08 I'm willing to bet that only gets you to about 650-700 yards max.

The Leupold gives you two full revolutions getting you all the distance you want.

Also- instead of the fire dot duplex I would take a hard look at the illuminated TMOA. I've got the TMOA on 3 scopes and love it!

I have my Z5 on a .257wby because its flat shooting and I only need one rev-

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              As much as I love the high end Leupolds Swarovski glass is still superior.

I have a Z5 5-25 and a VX6HD 4-24 and while they are close the Swaro has the edge in clarity, sharpness and low light performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              What rings are you running on that Z5?

Comment

I'm running 2pc Talley High on a Rem 700, Bartlein #3b

Comment

shot a friends rifle at the house the other day who had a Z5 and was expecting a lot but I was not impressed at all. Maybe its just me or his scope??

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                    shot a friends rifle at the house the other day who had a Z5 and was expecting a lot but I was not impressed at all. Maybe its just me or his scope??
                    What was it that you didn’t like? Clarity? Tracking? Curious to see

Comment

Originally posted by txfirefighter_04 View Post
                      What was it that you didn’t like? Clarity? Tracking? Curious to see

It was the clarity. I didn’t do anything other than some 100 yd target shooting. I shot it once at midday and another time last week around 7pm. It just seemed a little grainy.It wasn’t my gun and it may have just been the way it was set up or something else. Me and my dad both had the same opinions. I have had good experiences with Swarovski in the past and it just seemed odd. Since it wasn’t my set up I didn’t really look in to what it could have been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went with the z5 3.5-18x44. Decided on that one based on weight and shots will be 100-200 yards mostly.

Comment

Working...
                        X