Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4/22/2019 Update

My brother was at the ranch this past weekend. It's starting to really green up out there and the grasses are coming on strong since we don't have cattle right now. I think we are going to keep the cattle off for this entire year to allow the some of the tall native bunch grasses to re-establish and provide plenty of fawning and nesting cover.

Here are some pictures from the weekend:
    South field that we broadcasted wheat onto last fall without disking or cultipacking:
    [ATTACH]954585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]954586[/ATTACH]

Native grasses and forbs are getting thick:
    [ATTACH]954587[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]954588[/ATTACH]

NW Corner wheat/oat food plot from last fall (3.5 acres). It's about 18in tall:
    [ATTACH]954589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]954590[/ATTACH]

We got the gates fixed and eliminated the gaps:
    [ATTACH]954595[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]954596[/ATTACH]

We broadacasted a Turner Seed native seed mix in some recent clearings (around 2 acres). Here's the mix we used:
    Bluestem Mix Sandy:
    Little Bluestem 45%
    Sand Lovegrass (Bend) 15%
    Switchgrass (Blackwell) 15%
    Indiangrass (Lometa) 10%
    Sideoats Grama (Haskell) 10%
    Big Bluestem (Earl) 5%

Here is a part of the clearing we seeded:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	31 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	24576807
    Click image for larger version

Name:	30 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	24576806

We are hoping the weather man is correct this week for the newly seeded areas. We will continue to seed native bunch grasses each Spring and Fall in any cleared areas to increase native bunch grasses for fawns and quail/turkey.

Comment

Looking Good. THANKS for the updates!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
        Looking Good. THANKS for the updates!
        X2

Comment

Any idea how many deer were enclosed?

Comment

The place looks great. Lots for wildlife to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
              Any idea how many deer were enclosed?

I got the memory cards back from the weekend and it seems that we have a around 40-50 deer or so. It will be easier to identify and get a better estimate once the bucks start growing antlers. I have a picture of 7 old pregnant does in one picture so that’s promising.

Comment

Are y'all going to add any exotics?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                  Are y'all going to add any exotics?
                  We are planning on adding 6-8 blackbucks in May but haven't finalized a date at this point.

Comment

Looks great! Love the updates and I could help you on the metal art. PM sent

Comment

Any concern that when you closed it in that you didn't have any of ya'lls mature bucks in there? That would make me lose sleep

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                        Any concern that when you closed it in that you didn't have any of ya'lls mature bucks in there? That would make me lose sleep
                        Id bet he had some/enough. Plus, the bred does. When you fence you aren't doing it for immediate results...the fence is only the beginning of a longer term plan.

Comment

I'm not sure if we got any of the mature bucks back or not but I'm sure we probably got a couple. There were really only a couple of bucks that we really wanted to come back and those were the two 12-pointers from last fall. We believe that the young 4.5yr old typical 12pt STUD was shot by our neighbors bc we haven't seen him since mid December and we aren't sure about the big 12-pointer from last fall as he disappeared in mid November. I agree with JeffJ's comments that this is the beginning of a long term plan. When we decided to high fence our place we knew that we weren't going to see any immediate results and we are fine with that. We will now be able to keep the deer numbers where we want them, continue to feed protein year-round and cottonseed 7-months a year, provide fall food plots, and continue to improve the native habitat by selectively removed cedars and reseeding native grasses/forbs. Once the bucks start growing antlers we will get a good count on what we have and then start a management plan and go from there.
                          Last edited by bgleaton; 04-30-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            Craig Miller is the gentleman who is high fencing our property. We have been very pleased with he and his crew. Very nice guys!

I like seeing the progress. Good stuff!

Comment

We received 4.7in of rain today and 2.3in last week, 7in so far for the month of May. The big storms today caused a lot of road damage. Fortunately, all of the high fence water gaps worked great and the fences aren’t damaged whatsoever. These rains should really help the fawns once they start dropping this month. I’ll post some pictures of the damaged roads later today. We may have to think of a better way to divert the water
                              Last edited by bgleaton; 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Nice progress man. I have watched this thread from the start and it’s pretty cool to see how far y’all have come. Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                                X