Welder question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder question?

I want to do some welding on a trailer I have. I also have a cheap Harbor Freight welder that I purchased 3 years ago.

First I am not trained, u basically learn from watching YouTube so obviously I'm not very good.

Can you DIY guys suggest a welder that is easy to use and cost under 500 to 600? Also I don't have easy access to a 220 plug so it would have to be a 120.

Lots of things to consider here.

First, how thick is the metal you're trying to weld.

Second, describe the project you're trying to accomplish.

Comment

Biggest bang for your buck is a Lincoln cracker box from Lowes. It does take 220 however. You can have a longer cord made and plug into your dryer outlet or rent a generator. Don't know your situation. I would definitely be careful if Im welding on a trailer that your taking out on a public road with weight on it. Not trying to be insultive but you gotta consider liability. All depends on what part of trailer your welding on and what exactly your trying to accomplish.
      Wire feed welders may have a harder time burning through galvanize where as a cracker box with 60 series rods can blow right through it.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
        Lots of things to consider here.

First, how thick is the metal you're trying to weld.

Second, describe the project you're trying to accomplish.
        X2

Comment

Glad you guys asked those questions.

I have a 6x10 trailer and want to add an upper deck on it so that I can make it into a shark fishing trailer on the beach.

As for the material size I plan on using angle iron, I don't know the exact size of the metal but it's the same size that the trailer itself is made of. You guys would probably know the size better than me. Sorry I may not be as much help as I should.

The welder that I did buy from harbor freight is a wire feed and I don't think it is powerful enough.

I actually do have a generator but would love the ability to run it on normal power if possible

Comment

There are a few options on a mig welder that will run on your house plugs that will work fine. Duty cycle might not be great but I think for what you want to do, it won't be an issue. You really want the option to run gas though. You can get a Lincoln weld pak 140 at home depot for just over $500. I started with a 135 and did ALOT with that lil rig.

Comment

Not to high jack your thread but looking for the same thing, would consider running a 220 plug for mine though

Comment

Lincoln cracker box ac/dc and you can burn 6010 1/8 or 7018 3/32 rods. I myself would not want it welded with a 110 mig welder if your driving down the road

Comment

I have a Lincoln cracker box ac and love it. Its deffentally worth the money

Comment

If you want a MIG, Hobart has a 140 amp at tractor supply in that budget that would probably meet all your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric C View Post
                      Lincoln cracker box ac/dc and you can burn 6010 1/8 or 7018 3/32 rods. I myself would not want it welded with a 110 mig welder if your driving down the road
                      Really?? You do understand that basically all trailers are built with mig machines right? He is not building a trailer, he is simply adding accessories and or functional accents. Might take some beveling of the joints and couple more passes but I will take a gas shielded mig over burning rods all day long on fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by JP Weld View Post
                        Really?? You do understand that basically all trailers are built with mig machines right? He is not building a trailer, he is simply adding accessories and or functional accents. Might take some beveling of the joints and couple more passes but I will take a gas shielded mig over burning rods all day long on fabrication.
                        Really? You did see the guy wants to spend $500-$600 on a machine not be having to go spend on bottles after every project. He asked for advise so I gave my 2 cents not trying to discourage him

Comment

Originally posted by Eric C View Post
                          Really? You did see the guy wants to spend $500-$600 on a machine not be having to go spend on bottles after every project. He asked for advise so I gave my 2 cents not trying to discourage him
                          Yes, I did see that and a bottle lasts a very long time if the shielding pressure is set right for the working environment. I am not trying to be combative with your post Sir, it just didn't make any sense to me. Mig is just as effective and half the work in regards to fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by JP Weld View Post
                            Yes, I did see that and a bottle lasts a very long time if the shielding pressure is set right for the working environment. I am not trying to be combative with your post Sir, it just didn't make any sense to me. Mig is just as effective and half the work in regards to fabrication.

What would you suggest I get? Sounds like you are really knowledge, I've heard that I need to weld with gas if I can. Would love any recommendations you have.

Comment

I started with a Lincoln tombstone with a looooong extension cord to the dryer plug. Then went to a Lincoln weldpak ?? from Home Depot. It was a 110 machine and I did alot with with it. As mention beveling and multiple pass's required. We did some crazy repairs to our 4x4s when rock crawling at different places with that little machine. I never used gas, used flux core wire. I now have a little gas powered Hobart 145 champion that I love. I use that thing for everything. If you can save a few more $$, that would be my suggestion, generator and welder in an affordable package.
                              All that said I am a hobbyist welder, taught by friends, not a professional.

Comment

Working...
                              X