Accuracy of Camera Survey Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accuracy of Camera Survey Numbers

The local TPWD Biologist sent me the game camera survey spreadsheet that they use to estimate deer populations. For those of you with experience with these, how accurate do you think the results are? How much would you rely on the results in establishing your harvest goals for the year?

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
    The local TPWD Biologist sent me the game camera survey spreadsheet that they use to estimate deer populations. For those of you with experience with these, how accurate do you think the results are? How much would you rely on the results in establishing your harvest goals for the year?
    Depends on the location of your property

Comment

How do you know if you are seeing the same does a couple times a day or different ones?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
        How do you know if you are seeing the same does a couple times a day or different ones?
        Most of them have a margin of error calculated into the formula.

Just like any other survey, it is an estimate. However, when you combine several survey methods you can get a good idea of what you have.

For instance, we combine stand counts, camera surveys, and spotlight surveys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
          Most of them have a margin of error calculated into the formula.

Just like any other survey, it is an estimate. However, when you combine several survey methods you can get a good idea of what you have.

For instance, we combine stand counts, camera surveys, and spotlight surveys.
          I would assume the margin of error is REALLY big on camera surveys.

Comment

The margin of error is BIG on camera surveys but multiple methods narrow the error (the Bastrop deer survey after the fire was trail cam only, I did not like doing that survey). The rattle snake survey was gopro on a pole inside dens (awesome footage). We do aerial, stand observations, spot light, thermal, trail cam and our newest method is fluorescent pellets that we shoot from the heli. Originally used in wolf studies but never taken to their max due to cost. We shoot them from the heli or ground (usually heli) using a 12ga then at night using night vision you can spot which ones were shot which ones were not and keep marking them. They used to use phosphorescent powder to track voles, coyotes, wolves, bear and some other population studies that were published back in the late 80s-2000s but that would be a sllloooooowwwwww process trying to capture a large deer population. This ranch that we do the data collecting on is high fenced on 3 sides with 1 side low fenced on a 60k acre wildlife refuge, new deer do show up every year as would be expected. If you ever wonder how we do bear population surveys using DNA we put barbed wire fences around bait stands and capture their hair. 1 stand every 4miles wish we could do more but state $$$ (Montana). Don't you love science. My buddy is doing the black bear and cougar interaction study right now in New Mex wish I was on that one but already have my own projects. Next thesis due the 29th then off to Austin to present and get funding Sept 4th. Then it's a month of vacation time aka getting ready for deer season with a lil bit of fishin.

Comment

We are on our third or fourth year of doing only camera surveys. As others have pointed out, they are not the best but over time they still allow you to get an idea of the population. On our property, there really isn't a much better method because it is so thick.

IMO, A single survey done in any format is not nearly as useful or informative as multiple surveys done in the same fashion. Over time the results begin to actually be useful.

Comment

Good data in - good data out

Bad data in - bad data out

We try and be as accurate as possible which takes time and energy. Analyzing the deer surveys is not an easy job. Normally have two or three review pictures and compare totals.

As others stated we use different type survey results and over multiple years you can see the improvements if you are managing the herd as noted by biologists. I have also found differences between biologist, some taking an active and interest in property / herd management. Some just pass paper. Thank goodness we have a good biologist in N TX area

Comment

Thanks for all of the information. I can see what you mean about good data v. bad data. It has been a lot more work processing the pictures than I imagined it would be to differentiate does v fawns and pictures of individual bucks. I was surprised at how many different bucks I had on camera...it was about 50% more than I would have estimated.

Comment

Bucks will always be over represented in game camera numbers.

Comment

Not sure how actually getting a pic of what you are seeing is not better than spotlight and aerial where you are hoping you saw what you wrote down.

Nothing is perfect. Pick a couple you like and do them religiously every year. The trends and year to year comparisons will be easy to spot and that is what you want anyway.

I really think good blind counts combined with a good camera program are definitely good enough for most management plans if you do those religiously with your harvest records and habitat management programs. All that without having to spend lots of $$ or get real fancy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                        Bucks will always be over represented in game camera numbers.
                        Why do you say this? I based my count of bucks on the number of unique bucks i spotted, and I am 95% certain that I have not double counted any single buck.

With that in mind, for bucks to be over represented in the count, that would mean that the count of does would be too low, ie under represented. Is that right?

Comment

Why do you say this? I based my count of bucks on the number of unique bucks i spotted, and I am 95% certain that I have not double counted any single buck.

With that in mind, for bucks to be over represented in the count, that would mean that the count of does would be too low, ie under represented. Is that right?
                          In my experience, with a camera survey the bucks are represented more because they dominate the feed station, whether its a feeder, hand corn or mineral lick. If you are looking at a food plot, I would think that your representation would be more representative, buck to doe, but on a feed source the bucks move the does away.

I can't necessarily speak for txwhitetail, but I am guessing this is what he is referring to.

Comment

That makes sense...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                              I would assume the margin of error is REALLY big on camera surveys.
                              I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X