X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one for those that like wide deer
    Attached Files

Comment

This is probably the best put together thread on this forum. I have truly enjoyed the read.
      You have got one heck of a management practice put together, and some truly amazing deer your growing.
      Scribed!!!

Comment

man those are some biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig deer

Comment

I have deer envy. I hope my DVD arrives this week. We leave for the ranch Thursday and hope to show it to my dad.

Comment

All I can say is awesome. .

Comment

Never get tired of your post!

Comment

Giant deer you've been harvesting.

If I remember correctly you planted the sweet blue lupine in your border plot. How are the deer eating it? One other question you even used a chemical fertilizer to "sweeten" the plot.. What was that ratio??

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  Here's one for those that like wide deer
                  My favorite! That deer is nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                    Giant deer you've been harvesting.

If I remember correctly you planted the sweet blue lupine in your border plot. How are the deer eating it? One other question you even used a chemical fertilizer to "sweeten" the plot.. What was that ratio??
                    This year we have a giant acorn crop. First one in a couple of years. White oaks and red oaks. Sounds like driving on gravel. Deer activity in food plots is much different and less than the previous two years. Does come out early and are harassed mercilessly by the bucks. Bucks come cruising thru the plots rarely stopping for a bite. Far less activity in the plots from previous years.

As a result I'm seeing less pressure on the lupines,radishes, and small grains from previous years. Fascinating as every year is different

I added 250lbs/acre 10/24/24 on all the plots near where 'Gorgeous' lived. For sure it greened up those plots compared to those with no fertilizer. Even with that Gorgeous drifted off to a red oak bottom as soon as acorns started falling. Thats where he got shot. And even now mostly the deer are on the acorns.

As an aside I shot lopsided in an oak bottom away from any food plots.

Comment

Next project for elgato
                      Remove every acorn tree on the place and replant a more nutritious tree haha jk but wouldn't be surprised as hard as you go.

Comment

Every time I see a nice 8 or better on my place I fill good. And then I see the BUCKS you post and I think "man" I am not in the same ballpark as you. Those are all something to see. I think food plots have made a big difference on the health of the deer that hang around my place. And so I have to ask you about the clovers. I built a 3.5 acre watershed and because of this, I was late getting the Louisiana S1 and the Red Ace along with Durana and some Scarlet clovers planted around the pond. About 4 acres planted along with some wheat and rye mixed in. With the rain we had a couple of weeks ago, all the clovers came up, but with this cold spell, do you thin the clovers will pull through? Thanks again for your life on the farm

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                          Next project for elgato
                          Remove every acorn tree on the place and replant a more nutritious tree haha jk but wouldn't be surprised as hard as you go.
                          Funny, but since you mention it I have been planting Chestnut trees for the last few years

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                            Every time I see a nice 8 or better on my place I fill good. And then I see the BUCKS you post and I think "man" I am not in the same ballpark as you. Those are all something to see. I think food plots have made a big difference on the health of the deer that hang around my place. And so I have to ask you about the clovers. I built a 3.5 acre watershed and because of this, I was late getting the Louisiana S1 and the Red Ace along with Durana and some Scarlet clovers planted around the pond. About 4 acres planted along with some wheat and rye mixed in. With the rain we had a couple of weeks ago, all the clovers came up, but with this cold spell, do you thin the clovers will pull through? Thanks again for your life on the farm
                            I don't think the weather will affect your clover or small grains. They will be fine.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, The Louisiana S1 has just popped up with small head starting to show up and so I was not sure the root system was deep enough to make it through this cold spell. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                Funny, but since you mention it I have been planting Chestnut trees for the last few years
                                what size are you getting your chestnut trees?

Comment

Working...
                                X