Drop Point Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop Point Knife

Just finished this drop point; I wanted to do something different with the blade, I wanted this to look old and used something not to worry about in the field or getting scratched up.
    It's 3/16 thick 1084; it was Normalized three times, quench in oil three times, the last quench was edge quenched 60 rc at the cutting edge. I did an extensive acid etch, then ran it through the scotch brite belt, added patina with my special patina sauce I make, the blade is 4 in from the plunge cut. OAL is 8 in. I used Ivory linen micarta lined with one red and one black fiber liners, two brass 1/8 in. brass pins, and 1/4 mosaic bear paw pin that I make. I'll be listing it for sale on my website as soon as I make the sheath. I don't usually make sheaths until I have at least five to make.
    It's not pretty, but it's one heck of a blade. Like my old buddy Ed Fowler says “You have to test, test, test"! You will never know the performance of a blade until it’s been tested, this one is a superior blade! I spend a lot of time testing the structural integrity of all the various steels I use and have different methods of processing each one according to their element makeup!

Beautiful knife

Comment

Thanks; I appreciate it.

Comment

I like the weathered look much more than a perfect pretty knife. It gives it a personality and some warmth about it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
          I like the weathered look much more than a perfect pretty knife. It gives it a personality and some warmth about it.
          That's the reason I blue a lot of my knives. I like the weathered look as well; some of the knives I've made for me I have forging marks, or just put them through the scotch brite belt on my grinder.

Comment

yeah, I love that 'old' look. nice work!

Comment

That's a knife that is well done. Great job.

Comment

This is the type of knife I normally make. I finished this one today; a little cleaner than the one I made yesterday.

Comment

Nice work Dingus

Comment

nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Jermdog01 View Post
                      Nice work Dingus
                      You're funny Bubba; I thougt you were coming back the other day. I waited for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                        You're funny Bubba; I thougt you were coming back the other day. I waited for you.
                        I got side tracked I'm trying to finish some blades that just came back from heat treating so you can wrap them in leather for me.

Comment

Great Work, very impressive.

Comment

as always,very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Jermdog01 View Post
                              I got side tracked I'm trying to finish some blades that just came back from heat treating so you can wrap them in leather for me.
                              I sure hope you're not in a big hurry for them; I just don't have time to make sheaths for others anymore. I need to make five for myself, but I'm really busy and I'm not sure what the New Year is going to bring for me, I have a lot of irons in the fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X