Jerky Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky Question

When making deer jerky, how clean to most people trim the meat? I just started making my first batch and wasn't sure if I was trimming off too much fat and fascia, or not enough. Just curious if most people spend much time trimming or if they just slice it up and keep going.

I trim my jerky meat pretty good.

Comment

The more muscle, and less of the other stuff, the jerky's going to be more tender...personally I don't mind chewing jerky for a while...otherwise it's just smoked steak strips!!!??? To each his own...

Comment

Good timing on question. A fella I work with brought some that his dad had done at a meat processor. It was like chewing on a piece of rubber. They just cut it up and do'nt seem to bother with trimming all the tendons too. We cut it up in strips the nite before and marinade the meat over nite. My son came in for the weekend and we put in a batch to smoke last nite. We had a deer ham that I roasted out and we trimmed everything we could. If you do it yourself, you will do a better job especially if you give some to friends. I usually buy a couple of roasts too, to make it worth our while to fire up smoker. If I want it chewy, I cut it thicker and smoke it less time, if I want it crispy I smoke it longer. Also if it's too fat it will give it a bad taste. 3 lbs of meat should get you 1lb of jerky. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was trimming off quite a bit and was concerned that I was taking off too much. Sounds like it was probably about right. First batch of jerky should be finished sometime Sunday.

Comment

Working...
          X