Too early to plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too early to plant?

Would this weekend be too early to plant our wheat/pea plot? We are in eastland county and there is rain forecasted tonight as well as 3 days next week.

I am no farmer, but I would wait until the end of the month....

Comment

Not too early, look around this weekend and you will probably see numerous farmers planting. Farmers normally plant around Labor day.

Comment

it a great time to plant. im planting mine this weekend. im south of strawn in eastland co.

Comment

I hunt in East Texas, which gets a lot more rain than where you are, and I am not planting til the end of the month. Once the plants start to sprout, 1-2", it needs steady rain or it will die. We will likely have a couple of hot dry weeks before September is over. Too risky for me to plant early.

Comment

Hogkiller, I'm also in Eastland Co. and typically plant about 12 acres in Turners Fall Deer blend mix this weekend or the next. However this year I'm going to wait a couple of weeks longer. Three reasons, one we are still in a dry weather pattern, two it's still hot and will likely be for 2-3 more weeks and last my place and everyone around me is covered in grasshoppers. I shreaded 2 weeks ago and my wife was watching me on the tractor from the house. She said it looked like I was in a dust storm and it was nothing but thousands of grasshoppers. Yesterday I talked to Jim Farley in De leon, the guy that mixes my fertilizers and seeds. He said that the grasshoppers are the worst now that he has seen in over 35 years. He said that if I planted now and got the grain coming up that the grasshoppers would mow it down in no time. Just another opinion man, good luck in whatever you do.

Comment

Thanks guys, the grasshoppers were not too bad down by us on the border of southwestern eastland county. I think we will be planting this sunday with 3/4 inches of rain last night and 4 days of rain next week.

Comment

I'm waiting till the 11th.. I also think is risky to even plant then with the pattern we are in.... If you get germination then go a week or more without rain you are in bad shape..

Comment

I think you will be fine. We planted all our wheat this week near Abilene. We try to get it in the ground before the september rains come.

Comment

I will be planting this weekend. Several times I have neighbors wait till end of Sept(like you really should) and never get a good enough or any rain. Several times they have had dirt plots. I usually get several rains in Sept and mine have always made. SOme years better than others. You can always replant, and sometimes when you miss the September rains, you can miss your only shot.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                      Three reasons, one we are still in a dry weather pattern, two it's still hot and will likely be for 2-3 more weeks and last my place and everyone around me is covered in grasshoppers. Yesterday I talked to Jim Farley in De leon, the guy that mixes my fertilizers and seeds. He said that the grasshoppers are the worst now that he has seen in over 35 years. He said that if I planted now and got the grain coming up that the grasshoppers would mow it down in no time. Just another opinion man, good luck in whatever you do.
                      Thanks for the advice. It's cooling down and we've gotten some rain, but I'm covered up in grasshoppers. I think I'll wait a couple more weeks.

Comment

it is what it is. we are planting. if it dies, hopefully the corn will suffice. it has in years past

Comment

looks like our gamble payed off 100% chance of rain tuesday-wednesday and then 40-60% chances the rest of the week

Comment

I just finished sowing 45 acres of oats this weekend. Bring on the rain!

Comment

I planted mine this weekend in Coleman County. Hopefully the rain will come like forcasted.

Comment

Working...
                              X