HELP- My hogs tase like dookey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP- My hogs tase like dookey!

I am a pretty good cook. I can make a brisket that will make you sin. Same on other foods, but I have tried everything I have heard on prepping wild pig for a palatable resolution and OMG! It is disgusting! What I have done is the water in the Ice chest thing where you drain the old water and add new ice to let all the blood out.

Ideas?

Just want to make sure you are not letting the meat sit in water, whether cold or not, and have your cooler elevated at the non-plug end to make sure the water drains out as the ice melts. The pork should not sit in water for any period of time IMHO. I probably butcher 10 hogs a year (not many by some standards) but never have a problem with the taste. Get them on ice quickly and don't let them sit in water and they should be good.

Comment

First, did it have one of those things hanging off the back end that resembled a catchers mitt hanging off a pigs butt ???. If so, I've never been able to get one of those to not taste like you described. I too have done all the wives tale remedies to make it taste like a sow and nothing has worked yet.

Comment

every time I have gotten a stinky boar....no matter what I did....it tasted like a stinky boar.....I try not to put holes in the stinky boars...if I do....I leave the stink for the buzzards....

Comment

maybe you've got H1N1A

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            Just want to make sure you are not letting the meat sit in water, whether cold or not, and have your cooler elevated at the non-plug end to make sure the water drains out as the ice melts. The pork should not sit in water for any period of time IMHO. I probably butcher 10 hogs a year (not many by some standards) but never have a problem with the taste. Get them on ice quickly and don't let them sit in water and they should be good.
            +1
            and make sure there is no hair on the meat

Comment

I try to never let meat sit in water. I don't think the blood in or out makes much difference in the flavor, but fat sure will. The muscle itself is pretty much just water and protein, but the fat is the storage system and it can get pretty rank. I trim off all the fat I can immediately. Of course, the problem is there is still a lot of fat in the meat that you can't trim out. You might try slow cooking in a crock pot so that you can drain off all the fat and grease.
              Last edited by Snakelover; 10-13-2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

i ice mine like everyone says, not sitting in water, i also will soak mine in mil or buttermilk for half a day in fridge , then marinade overnight before cooking, sems to help with most, never had any complaints

Comment

I saw everyone on here said don't put in water but I always soak my pork chops in salted water for a while before cooking.I'm not sure if it helps or if it's just in my head but it makes it edible for me.Not sure what I will do now that my DR. said slow down on the salt!!!

Comment

If you kill a boar instantly, chances are the meat will be good. If he is stirred up at all, you can forget eating him.
                    When I kill a boar, I just take a little piece of the ham and put it in a frying pan and you will know in a couple of minutes if it is good to eat. If bad, the stink will run you out of the house.
                    Also, I usually let mine sit in ice water for 2-3 days before cutting it up, draining the bloody water off when needed.
                    It's hard to kill a boar with a bow and it be good to eat.

Comment

add plenty of garlic

Comment

The title to this post literally made me spit my supper out because i was laughing so hard.....Now my wife is staring at me like I am a fruitcake.....thanks alot

Comment

I like to put the hams in a crockpot and slow cook for 15-24 hrs and holy cow, pulled pork. Make your own bbq sauce and mix. Tortillas, grated cheese and you are ready.

Comment

What size hogs are you eating? Are they boars? What time of year were they killed?

All of these can make the meat taste bad no matter how it's cooked. Just a thought...

Comment

what i do is shoot first , stick heart with knife too bleed them out . clean an put on ice. next day cut up put in freezer no bad taste yet . i do 10 to 20 a year

Comment

Working...
                              X