No announcement yet.

Want you own food plot mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like your seed mix. Except the turnips.
    We used something similar in Leon co for years
    Higher rate and mixed in the spreader by the bag
    As long as they are all in the same plot I don’t care if it is mixed perfectly.

Comment

The food plot experts at Whitetail Habitat Solutions and QDMA suggest that your brassica will do better if it is NOT mixed with your cereal grains.

The cereal grains will stunt the growth of the turnips, etc. They suggest planting in two totally different areas. Just a thought I wanted to throw out.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
        Wow...I wrote my mix down the other night and it was EXACTLY your mix to a T! (didn't do lbs yet, but seeds spot on) I also plan to go back over the plot 3 weeks later and add more Rye as a "layered" effect to cover any thin spots and get more new growth too. And yes, no tillage for us this year either.
        Only 1 LB of Crimson? Seems very low

Comment

So how are you doing the "No Till"?
          Mow it close before you throw out seed? Spay? How are you getting soill contact with the seeds?

I have not had good luck with oats, elbon rye or wheat coming up without plowing first. I wanted to know how you were doing it.

Maybe you are on sandy soil? I have "black gumbo" overflow bottom land.
          Last edited by Killer; 09-18-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            Mow it close before you throw out seed? Spay? How are you getting soill contact with the seeds?

I have not had good luck with oats, elbon rye or wheat coming up without plowing first. I wanted to know how you were doing it.

i spray my plots, wait 2-3 weeks. Grain drill and then shred the dead stuff down for a layer of thatch

Comment

Spray
              Wait 2-3 weeks
              Broadcast seed
              Shred over seeds... or roller packer... or whatever you got to mash it to the ground

DONE

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                Do they have Buck Forage Oats?
                I’m going to assume Buck Forage Oats is just a name to try and tap into the hunting market. Main oats we use are Bob Oats

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
                  I’m going to assume Buck Forage Oats is just a name to try and tap into the hunting market. Main oats we use are Bob Oats
                  It’s a forage oat that is extreme cold weather tolerant.

... that said, in side by side testing I had ZERO preference in them over Bob oats @ 1/3 price. And I don’t get a burning freeze here till late January into February. Wheat and rye bridge the gap then

Just my experience. Hype and marketing

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    Only 1 LB of Crimson? Seems very low

We aren’t looking for a heavy clover content in this field. This mix will primarily feed nov-feb, and the clover will fill out some of the holes left by dying turnips and radish tops as the temps rise in the spring. The summer mix for next year is heavy on the legumes, and good native clover stands in the area are cheaper.

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                    Wow...I wrote my mix down the other night and it was EXACTLY your mix to a T! (didn't do lbs yet, but seeds spot on) I also plan to go back over the plot 3 weeks later and add more Rye as a "layered" effect to cover any thin spots and get more new growth too. And yes, no tillage for us this year either.

Great minds think alike!

We have been doing it by overseeding the summer plot (beans, cowpeas, buckwheat, sunn hemp, and sunflowers) and mowing every other brush hog width as close to the ground as possible. That leaves roughly 50% standing beans/peas with the fall mix slower to establish underneath.... and 50% of the plot in pure fall blend.

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    I like your seed mix. Except the turnips.

We used something similar in Leon co for years

Higher rate and mixed in the spreader by the bag

As long as they are all in the same plot I don’t care if it is mixed perfectly.

I was really surprised the turnips got hit pretty hard last year right about antler drop. They were in there, along with the radishes, primarily to add OM to the sugar sand soil this plot is planted in. The deer eating them were an unexpected bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, if they hit it after antler drop, I probably didn’t monitor usage at that time.
                      They really like the mixed seed plots and the cages show how much of the other plants they are eating.
                      Darned tornados torn down a short distance of fence on one of my hog proof plot
                      We did see some great crimson clover usage last year

Comment

Working...
                      X