I got a ticket rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by postman View Post
    A money grab that's all it is, all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    That is right...all about revenue generation.
    I would have my pair twisted also if this happened to me
    Next step... I would contact my state senator and see what they could do.
    Was always told to pick and choose your fights. I would fight this one.
    Its not the money...it is the principle.

Comment

I had a similar issue, but admittedly it was about $175 worth of nonsense. I went before the judge, he scheduled me to come back when the Prosecutor was there. I met with the Prosecutor, and she dropped everything with no charges or fees.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Older truck, sticker date doesn’t match date the driver date the driver said it was purchased on and no record of tag in the computer.

You reckon the officer suspected it was a black market sticker?
        So he might have suspected that the OP was committing the crime of Tampering with Government Record that could lead to up a year in jail and a $4,000 fine… buttttt, he let the guy have a pass on the forged document?

What a guy....

Comment

Had this happen back in the mid 90's with my insurance card. The officer was apparently in a bad mood and told me I made up and typed out my own insurance card then wrote me a ticket for no insurance. Said I could prove it to the judge if I didn't like it. I cussed him out and he wrote a tickets for expired DL, inspection, and registration. All were current. All he did was make it a PIA for me to have to take off work and take all of my paperwork to court. I worked night shift and he pulled me over while driving home from work because it was suspicious that I was out at 3am. Most cops are cool but there are certainly some dbags out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            Sucks, but good grief, "Go to court out of principle"?

I wouldn't spend time going to court if it was $100. Your time is worth more than $20. What exactly are those of you suggesting that thinking it's going to accomplish? Showing them you won't be pushed around? No one will know, remember, etc. and nothing will change.

Just chalk it up to garbage government and don't make a bad situation worse.
            22 bucks is a lot of money for some folks. I’d make em earn that 22 bucks as well. And they’d more than likely have to come find me if they want my money that bad cause that ain’t right

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
              22 bucks is a lot of money for some folks. I’d make em earn that 22 bucks as well. And they’d more than likely have to come find me if they want my money that bad cause that ain’t right
              Exactly what I'm talking about. You're going to take a marginally bad situation and make it exponentially worse.

They won't have to come find you. They'll just lock you out from renewing your drivers license and/or vehicle registration. Then you'll have to spend a bunch of your own time unwinding the mess and will probably end up paying some multiple of the $22 you originally owed.

You sure showed them!

I get it, it sucks. He's innocent. The government screwed it up. No one is arguing any of that. Have you ever heard the expression, "Pick your battles"? This isn't the hill you want to die protecting. Pay the $22 and go back to your life.

Comment

Exactly what I'm talking about. You're going to take a marginally bad situation and make it exponentially worse.

They won't have to come find you. They'll just lock you out from renewing your drivers license and/or vehicle registration. Then you'll have to spend a bunch of your own time unwinding the mess and will probably end up paying some multiple of the $22 you originally owed.

You sure showed them!

I get it, it sucks. He's innocent. The government screwed it up. No one is arguing any of that. Have you ever heard the expression, "Pick your battles"? This isn't the hill you want to die protecting. Pay the $22 and go back to your life.
                And this is the mindset as to why government has gotten where it is now because people give in too much. Fight for your rights. If you know you’re in the right fight for it. It may cost more but for the principal of it I’d fight it just to embarrass the trooper that wrote the ticket in the first place. Anyone with any common sense in a jury would agree to the circumstances and you prolly won’t have to pay the court a thing. It’s not the fact you’re showing someone up. It’s the fact that they need to make things right and that there is still citizens out there that ain’t gonna take that kinda bs. They’re few and far between nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                  And this is the mindset as to why government has gotten where it is now because people give in too much. Fight for your rights. If you know you’re in the right fight for it. It may cost more but for the principal of it I’d fight it just to embarrass the trooper that wrote the ticket in the first place. Anyone with any common sense in a jury would agree to the circumstances and you prolly won’t have to pay the court a thing. It’s not the fact you’re showing someone up. It’s the fact that they need to make things right and that there is still citizens out there that ain’t gonna take that kinda bs. They’re few and far between nowadays
                  Nonsense. You're not going to change a thing and you're going to waste your own time and money accomplishing nothing. You're absolutely "going to take that bs" and you're probably going to take it a lot more than you would have originally.

Again, pick your battles.

Comment

Sucks, but good grief, "Go to court out of principle"?

I wouldn't spend time going to court if it was $100. Your time is worth more than $20. What exactly are those of you suggesting that thinking it's going to accomplish? Showing them you won't be pushed around? No one will know, remember, etc. and nothing will change.

Just chalk it up to garbage government and don't make a bad situation worse.
                    Yes go to court for this ! I would not pay a penny when I had the receipt showing I renewed the day before.

Had a similar situation in Houston. Wife got a parking ticket in the mail from Houston. Only problem she had never been to Houston. Checked the photo and the license plate in the picture did not match the one on wifs'e car. Thought a simple phone call would fix it. Not a chance, they told me we can see the error but can't fix it with phone call. You either need to pay or come to the court house in person. 10 days later I had a business trip to Houston and went to the court house. Had it fixed and told them they were crooks.

Comment

Nonsense. You're not going to change a thing and you're going to waste your own time and money accomplishing nothing. You're absolutely "going to take that bs" and you're probably going to take it a lot more than you would have originally.

I’d pick that battle. Agree to disagree and to each their own. And no you’re not “absolutely going to take that bs”. As I said it may cost more but the court ain’t gonna see that 28 bucks from the dismissal fees

Comment

And this is a fight you need to do. Most likely when you go to court the judge will "educate" the trooper about the error of his ways. If not, after repeated episodes like this the trooper's supervisor will probably get tired of him being off patrol for stupid stunts like this and will correct him. I was in a national guard unit with a young deputy like this. It eventually got him fired.

Comment

If you paid more and wasted your time, you took it. You may not realize you took it, but everyone else can tell you're walking funny.

Comment

If you paid more and wasted your time, you took it. You may not realize you took it, but everyone else can tell you're walking funny.
                            Well I’m sure a heck gonna make em give it to me instead of being lazy and just letting them do it because god forbid someone give up 2 hours of their time to go sit in a court room for a right

Comment

With your willingness to accept it you must be walking real funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                                With your willingness to accept it you must be walking real funny.
                                "Grandpa, tell me about the brave man that wouldn't take any government nonsense and stood up for himself."

"Oh, that's a wonderful tale. This brave young Texan didn't want to pay an unjust $22 fine, and by George, he didn't! He wasn't about to let the government push him around."

"So he won and didn't pay the $22?"

"You bet. After 4 hours waiting in lines and sitting in government buildings and filling out forms and $200 in court costs, he got that $22 dismissed. After another $50 processing fee, of course."

"So he lost?"

"Oh yeah, big time."

Comment

Working...
                                X